Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

05 Scion TC S/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 05 Scion TC S/C Problem

Hi, i know everyone is gonna be like there is a thread for this but apparently I can't seem to find the answer to my problem thats why i am making this thread....
but anyways i am currently facing a problem with my TRD S/C... its been in my car for almost 3 years and this is the first problem like this... other than that i only had to replace the belt and one of the idler pulley bearings...
just yesterday when i left work and when i got to school, i had heard this loud and weird noise coming from my engine bay. when i had checked, it was a rough and loud sound coming from the shaft/pulley side of the s/c... i tried to listen and look for any obvious problems but don't really see anything... a few days before that my belt has been squealing but i just haven't had the chance to change it since i work from 8am till 6pm than got school until 10pm everyday...
ive researched and looked around and found a variety of things but not too sure exactly what i can be... some say it might be the idler pulleys bearings and some say its the bearings in the shaft... i had replaced one of the idler bearings before and it never made the noise...
ive called a lot of places such as toyota, trd, and even vortech but none seem to help...
this is my dd and i really need some info and advise on what might be wrong cause i wanna get this fixed asap!!! :?
any info or advise or ideas would greatly be appreciate...
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

please make sure you replaced it with the same belt as yesterday my belt squeaked on start up and when on throttle and it was the wrong belt (was a bit bigger). As for the loud noise...it maybe the bearings inside the shaft which in turn...can also be the smaller blower bearings going out. It's hard for me to say but I know from my own experience, the blower fan grinded a bit on the walls where it sits (in the blower) due to the previous bearings I had prematurely died out. It unbalance's the shaft inside the blower if the impeller bearings are out.

I wil just have to say its possible the shaft bearings are going out and unbalancing things. It usually starts there.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hata
please make sure you replaced it with the same belt as yesterday my belt squeaked on start up and when on throttle and it was the wrong belt (was a bit bigger). As for the loud noise...it maybe the bearings inside the shaft which in turn...can also be the smaller blower bearings going out. It's hard for me to say but I know from my own experience, the blower fan grinded a bit on the walls where it sits (in the blower) due to the previous bearings I had prematurely died out. It unbalance's the shaft inside the blower if the impeller bearings are out.

I wil just have to say its possible the shaft bearings are going out and unbalancing things. It usually starts there.
well the first time i replaced my belt and idle bearing, it was from toyota and napa... everything fit perfect with no problems.. my car ran fine like how it was supposed to
i had taken my car to toyota cause i was idling below 500rpm... so they sprayed brake cleaner every where and comes to find out it was my MAF sensor...
replaced that it was fine... a month after that my belt started squeaking than it goes away... so i was bought a gaters belt made for s/c on nst but havent got the chance to install...
i only hear the noise on the shaft/pulley side only... i was plannin of changing the idle bearings again but this time both of them not just one and installing my new belt to see if it fixes it or not than ill go from there to the shaft bearings

but thanks though for the info, its really helpful, hope its jus the idle bearings...
Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When the shaft bearings go out it can sound like a squealing belt sometimes, or it can make your belt squeal when the bearings lock up or are very hard to spin and put extra friction on the belt. I would check your shaft bearings, should only take a few hours to take out the shaft side of things and take a look on the weekend.

Here is a video of my car on the dyno, the squealing sound you hear sounds like the belt but its actually my shaft bearings as I found out soon after.

hxxp://youtu.be/OJfZlHutFac
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
When the shaft bearings go out it can sound like a squealing belt sometimes, or it can make your belt squeal when the bearings lock up or are very hard to spin and put extra friction on the belt. I would check your shaft bearings, should only take a few hours to take out the shaft side of things and take a look on the weekend.

Here is a video of my car on the dyno, the squealing sound you hear sounds like the belt but its actually my shaft bearings as I found out soon after.

hxxp://youtu.be/OJfZlHutFac
did you replace it? i recently just found out that it was the bearings in the shaft like you said... i took a long screw driver and placed it on top of the shaft housing and heard the noise loudest there... i ordered some bearings from some guy on here but haven't received them yet
Old 04-20-2013, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I think you should have taken your shaft out and checked it out before you bought bearings. It seems like this problem has been going on for a little while now and unfortunately your shaft is probably toast as well. I hope that isn't the case, but be prepared for it. Also, I just sold my last shaft and i won't be able to get more made until maybe July/August. Good luck though I hope you luck out and its just the bearings.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2