Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

05_ScionTC's build thread- Few questions on last page, need insight!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohh ok yea thatd be awesome if you could send me the basemap!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shoot me your email man. I got you but remember what i said about it. Its meant to get you to the tuners. Not to be boosting or DD in.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So a couple days ago i wired up my Aem boost gauge and the a/fr gauge to see them work. They work for the most part but here are my problems and i need help on what may be wrong?

1.) Boost gauge- The boost gauge when i first put it in i wired up all the wires correctly and i went to change the back lighting to see the color but as i did so the little dial thing when i spun it wouldnt change colors, just stayed the same throughout! but later all of a sudden it decided to work, but now it will also just randomly change colors by itself without me changing it. The gauge also isnt sucking vacuum its acting like it has boost which doesnt make since cause my kit isnt even on yet!!!! Yesterday randomly the gauge pulled vacuum like it should have then i turned it off and when i turned it back on it was pushing boost again? So do i have a faulty gauge possibly??

2.) A/FR gauge- So everything is wired up right here only problem with this is, is at night the numbers wont light up at night?? whats the problem there?

Need any help possible guys, gonna be getting all my stuff on in the next week or two so i needa figure out whats going on with this? Thanks!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching ill be doing the same thing here soon hehe
Old 06-25-2010, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you by chance have any pics from when you wired everyting up
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no but i can get them, i wired the power and ground up to my cig. lighter and for the switched source i spliced into my fog light harness so that way when i turned on my lights the gauge would light up brighter...if you need pics let me know...its pretty easy.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05_ScionTC
So a couple days ago i wired up my Aem boost gauge and the a/fr gauge to see them work. They work for the most part but here are my problems and i need help on what may be wrong?

1.) Boost gauge- The boost gauge when i first put it in i wired up all the wires correctly and i went to change the back lighting to see the color but as i did so the little dial thing when i spun it wouldnt change colors, just stayed the same throughout! but later all of a sudden it decided to work, but now it will also just randomly change colors by itself without me changing it. The gauge also isnt sucking vacuum its acting like it has boost which doesnt make since cause my kit isnt even on yet!!!! Yesterday randomly the gauge pulled vacuum like it should have then i turned it off and when i turned it back on it was pushing boost again? So do i have a faulty gauge possibly??

2.) A/FR gauge- So everything is wired up right here only problem with this is, is at night the numbers wont light up at night?? whats the problem there?

Need any help possible guys, gonna be getting all my stuff on in the next week or two so i needa figure out whats going on with this? Thanks!
Are both gauges analog (with needles) or is the AFR a digital gauge.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also when you asked me about wiring the gauges i screwed up on telling you what you needed to do. your grounds and 12v switched source come from your cigarrette lighter. the constant 12v source needs to be connected to something with constant battery. I used the constant power wire from the back of the sterio. Youll need a voltage meter to find out wich pin has a constant 12v source with the car completely off.

Rewiring your gauge to this setup may possibly fix your problems with the lighting and maybe function.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright cool i will try that soon! and no only the boost gauge is analog and the a/fr is digital. It prolly would fix my problems bout idk if it would fully fix the whole lighting issue on the boost gauge cause it randomly changes colors even though i set it to a specific one.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres what the wiring diagrams say:

Boost: RED- connect both red to a constant 12 volt power source utilizing a 5A fuse. ( Will correct this soon, got both these red connected to the cig. lighter which may hopefully fix a problem!)

Black- connect both to a clean power ground. ( connected to cig. lighter)
Pink- connect to a switched 12 volt power source ( connected to cig lighter)
Grey- Connect to instrument lighting circuit supply voltage. ( which i connected to my fog light harness so when i turn my lights on the back lighting on the gauge comes on.
A/FR: RED- Connect to a switched 10-18 volt power source utilizing a 10A fuse. ( connected to cig lighter but maybe if i connect it to my fog light harness as well it might work??
Black- connect to a clean power ground ( cig. lighter)

So this is what it says and in parenthesis is what i connected it to. Only things that dont work are:
1) A/FR digital gauge doesnt light up at night, only the digital reading works but not the band part that sweeps across or the numbers dont light up
2) Boost gauge reads boost right now instead of vacuum
3) boost gauge randomly changes color on me even though i set it to a specific color
Old 06-26-2010, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i wired it up to a 12v constant that went to my cd player and i worked and actually read vacuum until i turned the car off and then it was reading boost again even thought i dont even have the turbo on yet! lol..apparently im running 14 psi haha...Feels alot slower than that!! also the backlighting still isnt working right on either of the gauges...any help!!!??
Old 07-15-2010, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Havent updated in awhile buddy. whats the good word on your car? Finally get the gauges to work right? You probably dont have the oil lines yet since they were shipped out thru USPS but let me know when you get them.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got the return line today man! thanks again, and also my vac. block and my turbo gasket will be here next week so i can finally bolt that all together, then i needa tap my pan and buy my oil then setup a tune date!! as far as the pan itd be better to just tap it instead of just screwin it in?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And also AEM is sending me my gauge back finally so then i can send to geoff at Nurspec so i can get the digital boost gauge, then i will basically have everything besides the small things like the sealers and whatnot
Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPDATE

Sorry it took so long but had lots of crap to work out lately. So first of all as for my gauge i got AEM to look at it and they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it so i had to pay 15 bucks for them to do absolutely nothing and to ship it back so i called back and talked to the guy and he said "Doesnt make sense, why would you ship a gauge here if it wasnt broken in the first place?" So anyways they are gonna ship me out a brand new gauge for no charge so then i can send it to Geoff at Nurspec so i can get my digital gauge.

-Also purchased a vac. block from dezod, got my oil return line from Adrian and am just purchasing the small things like thread sealant and whatnot and oil soon! I am almost ready to slap it all on here to get her ready for the tune once i talk to the tuners! Also my BDAY is on saturday so gonna go buy me a new DD for around town and whatnot to keep the miles of my car and stuff. Will update next week with the new goodies!

Also Since i got into that wreck last October, The stupid insurance guy isnt budging with the settlement offer. My passenger got offered more than me even tho it was my car and i had to put in all the extra time so we are finally taking him to court here soon! get this all done and over with, its been a pain!!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05_ScionTC
Just got the return line today man! thanks again, and also my vac. block and my turbo gasket will be here next week so i can finally bolt that all together, then i needa tap my pan and buy my oil then setup a tune date!! as far as the pan itd be better to just tap it instead of just screwin it in?
It would be better to get it welded on rather than screwing it on. Its just one last thing you would have to worry about as far as leaks go. I had it screwed in but it did leak a bit because of it. I just cleaned up the pan a bit after every oil change but welding it on would definently get rid of you possibly running into the same issue. Not really a big deal though cause it only leaked a little bit. Not to bad.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well small update again, AEM sent me my gauge back but only my gauge!! so once again another mishap on AEMs part so now gotta wait another week to get all my other parts back so i can return it for the digital boost gauge, As of right now im just prepping for the small stuff right now so when i get everything back i will be able to just put everything on and get it tuned! Im pushing for the next 2-2.5 weeks it will be done!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Good to here. ill be lucky to get my car running again in the next 3 weeks. Still no motor on my end. So did you finally figure out what you need to do to tap the oil line to your turbo? I may be able to help you out with that problem if you still dont have a solution for it yet.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm i bought this piece from oriellys ill see if that works and ill take pics for you to show ya tomorrow! I think i figured it out but guess we shall see, ohh and my friend is gonna tap the side of my turbo for me since he knows how and has done quite a few. Also just bought the sealant for the oil pan gasket and the thread lock so basically almost done with all the small stuff! freakin ready for this ish already!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Sounds good. You should easily be able to do the install in one day so long as you know what your doing and have plenty of tools. Do it already!!!

Quick Reply: 05_ScionTC's build thread- Few questions on last page, need insight!!