Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

12 second daily driver??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 12 second daily driver??

Hello..

I plan on going the turbonetics direction, possibly ZPI stage 1, but right now im pretty persuaded on the Turbonetics because of

1) the warrant
2) their location
3) I've been to their shop, and it had me convinced.

I just want to know, is it possible to make a 12 second daily driver. I dont care how "slow" of 12's, just want to know if its possible, and what would it take to make it possible / reliable.

1) Turbo kit (Turbonetics, ZPI)
2) Exhaust ofcourse ::rolls eyes::
3) Springs / Shocks (shocks come later for me)
4) Tires

this is where the internals come a long, gauges, electronics, etc....

Post up your opinions...but if you dont really know what your talking about please leave it to the big boys to answer

thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its possible.....im in a/t and imma real close to a 13 sec daily driver. sprecially for a m/t...you will have to do some internal upgrades to do it. probably pistons and maybe stage 1 head work. but it could be done.

Zpi stage 1
good tuner
2.5 exhuast all the way back
springs
pistons/rings
port/polish head(zpi stage 1 head work)
gauges
electronic boost controller
maybe push about 12psi
should be good to go then.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:30 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: 12 second daily driver??

Originally Posted by tCerz1an
Hello..

I just want to know, is it possible to make a 12 second daily driver. I dont care how "slow" of 12's, just want to know if its possible, and what would it take to make it possible / reliable.

this is where the internals come a long, gauges, electronics, etc....

Post up your opinions...but if you dont really know what your talking about please leave it to the big boys to answer

thanks.
not to be snippy but:
1) of course its Possible to make a 12 second daily driver. Just don't mash the gas on the way to work! Now is it possible to have a street & smog legal 12 second daily driver? probably not.
2.Whats the obsession with having a 12 second car. Just so you can SAY you have a 12 second car or is there something else behind it? Why not a 13 or 14 second car??
3. Generally speaking (in auto terms) Internals means engine components. ie. pistons, rods, crank, cams, etc.. If you want to have a 12 second daily driver, i'd say get the new low compression pistons so you CAN run high boost at the track..but keep it reasonable for Daily driving
Old 04-26-2006, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

IMO....if you run on at least 10psi on either the ZPI Stage 1 or possibly the Turbonetics kit, you should see a 12. It may be a very, very high 12, but 12 nonetheless. That's what I'm shooting for. But our car weighs less than normal, because I've removed some things, and have a C/F front end. So, we shall see. I want to be the first ZPI powered car to be into the 12's, besides their company car that is.

The black tC ran 14psi on a Stage 1 and netted 12.1 with a full interior. That's a really low 12, so hopefully on 10psi, I can see a high 12 with semi-full interior.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what would it take to make it possible / reliable.
Money.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
Money.
HAHAHHAHA

Thats the GREATEST reply I have EVER seen on ScionLife... Mattvs you have made my week man... I am gonna continue to frequent this thread just to read that reply...
Old 04-26-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mattvs
Money.
[/thread]
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly you're probably not going to see 12 sec times with any of the kits without running slicks. There is just not enough traction on street tires. Im sure with either the zpi/turbonetics/dezod its all possible with a good tune and turning up the boost.

Just slap in a boost controller and even on street tires you can probably run a mid/low 13 sec 1/4 and have a decent daily driver. I dont really see a need to upgrade any of the internals running 12lb of boost, which is enough to net 12's in the 1/4 (at least for zpi and id imagine dezod and turbonetics).

Of course you're going to need 2.5" piping all the way through. As well as an engine management system.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^ Slicks are a given, imo.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

First off, whats with everyones obsession to hit 12's and keep their cars a daily driver?? Thats not the easiest task to keep it as a RELIABLE daily driver. Second and most importantly, if people arent sure about what it will take to get themselves to a 12 second pass, I think the best advice someone could possibly give them would to be leave the car as it is. Its very easy for people to come on and say your gonna need this, this, this and that because its been repeated about a million times. I read a really good article in this months turbo magazine about the internet and forums, and if anyone has read it as well, will truly agree with the editor. I see my time here on scionlife slowly dwindeling away in the future. There is pretty much useless knowledge and information on here, and will continue to get worse as time goes on. Read the article if you havent, it will give you a good grip on reality.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a 12 sec daily driver in the old days could be hard to come by, and that was with plenty of cubic inches to play with..
Besides all the parts & money required--you better be good at tweaking the car yourself... the faster yo make a car go, the more "love and attention" it will need.
12 sec is a blast; but i doubt that you'll be putting on 15k per year of carefree miles as well. Hopefully i'm wrong, but fast and daily reliable don't always travel hand in hand.
IMO better to be quick and reliable, then fast and in the shop....
Old 04-26-2006, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, talk about the drama. It starts with those who can't simply answer the question. I don't think tCerz1an was expecting or wanting criticism for wanting a daily driven 12 second car. Why does anyone care for his reasons. It's his perogative...
Anyway,
to answer your question, YES you can but it does take $$$
Add boost, fuel management, and conservative driving and you will be okay. If you go with the T-net kit, you have the option of loading 2 maps on the unichip.
This is in my future plans. A 7 psi map for my daily commute and a 10 psi one for the track. I would suggest you get a better fuel pump and that will be all you need. The injectors are great and the turbo loves the bigger boost.
Happy tunning and good luck!!!
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

you have just been PM'ed.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've split out the things to Off Topic that cannot just seem to stay on topic...

If you wish to continue that discussion - do it there.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jam0321
wow, talk about the drama. It starts with those who can't simply answer the question. I don't think tCerz1an was expecting or wanting criticism for wanting a daily driven 12 second car. Why does anyone care for his reasons. It's his perogative...
Anyway,
to answer your question, YES you can but it does take $$$
Add boost, fuel management, and conservative driving and you will be okay. If you go with the T-net kit, you have the option of loading 2 maps on the unichip.
This is in my future plans. A 7 psi map for my daily commute and a 10 psi one for the track. I would suggest you get a better fuel pump and that will be all you need. The injectors are great and the turbo loves the bigger boost.
Happy tunning and good luck!!!
Thank you very much...Until this post I was kinda timid to even respond.

Anyways, with the unichip you can program 2 maps, what exactly can you do with that??

If you load map (1)-DailyDriver - I have the option to lower my PSI and then with map (2)-Track I can bump up the boost by just switching the maps??

Kinda confusing but sounds intresting

Thanks for all the helpful info.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

EXACTLY,
1st- you need an authorized unichip tuner to create the maps ( a downside I know but it keeps the system reliable)
2nd- the tuner will run a passes on the dyno to get your base. From there you can customize how you want the maps to be created. ie. 7psi and 10psi. The maps are loaded on to the unichip and are wired to a switch on your dash. Flip the switch at race day, restart your car and bam!
If you start going over the 10psi then you run into all those other mods you need like fuel pump, internals and so on...
Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much is it usually to get it re-tuned? Just wondering.

I plan on going above 10 psi, and I plan on getting added internals such as piston and rings.

This is gonna be fun...I just want it to be

"Project: Beat my cousins STI"
Old 04-27-2006, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on the dyno facility. in cali it's about $100-$150 hour and it will be a couple of hours of tunning. I'll let you know how mine comes. I'm still waiting for a project 3" exhaust that i'm working on right now to get my new maps created.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im actually gettin my turbonetics kit tuned in a couple weeks by the only authorized unichip tuner in the state... these guys r doin a few runs on the dyno, checking all piping, adjusting the unichip map for ideal performance for a daily driver, and rechecking everything. Its 275 for the first hour and 125 for each one coming up i believe. Check on the unichip site for dealers near you who specialize in the unichip. Keep an eye out for my results on May 16th!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by PlayinWithFire
im actually gettin my turbonetics kit tuned in a couple weeks by the only authorized unichip tuner in the state... these guys r doin a few runs on the dyno, checking all piping, adjusting the unichip map for ideal performance for a daily driver, and rechecking everything. Its 275 for the first hour and 125 for each one coming up i believe. Check on the unichip site for dealers near you who specialize in the unichip. Keep an eye out for my results on May 16th!

Rather expensive.

Quick Reply: 12 second daily driver??