Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

2005 tc weak block - or false info?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not sure if it's like this in the tC, but on the xB they don't use notched main bearings. The block itself has a notch to hold the bearing in place, but for some reason they didn't use that type of bearing. At least the bearing is centered. I've never seen a more messed up design than the single sided bearing used in the 2AZ. One of the guys in our club with an 05 had that cause the crank to walk and it just chewed the crank mounts up.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
if i plan on keeping my car for a while more - im honestly thinking about getting as much done to the engine ...but things that i dont have to fuel manage yet. I dont want to go that step yet .... i will if i go FI - but if i dont ....then Ill just have a good car with a good engine. I like my tC and i am still not sold on any other car. Should I think about new pistons? If so I would want to stay around the same compression so i dont need to be tuned but are fine if ... if i go FI in the future of a year or two. I already have my clutch and flywheel replaced (and the limited slip installed) - so I have a quality car/setup. Can someone build me a detailed list of things I can/should upgrade all in one shot. Should the engine be coated? is it needed for a minus 350whp engine? I know rods and head gasket are a must. Can a few people build me a full detailed list of the total options so I know what im working with. Also, if I get tuned would i be able to safely raise my redline a small amount? Second gear I think could use a small amount more
if you are going to tear it down at all, you should replace pistons, rods, and rod bearings at least. If you do that you could raise the redline a little bit, but you wouldn't gain enough power to make it worth while.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ya I was thinking the same combo. which pistons, rods, and bearings do you think? For the raising of the redline I was thinking more on the terms that I could do so after a turbo. I really want to make my engine bulletproof so i dont have any issues with it. Thats my main concern because this car is my daily driver and i need it working. What else could be done for bulletproofing? Please provide links. thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to SAFELY raise the rpm, upgrade the valve train (I use supertech 81lbs dual valve springs) and stock cams will work fine. As for the bottom end, CP pistons (they handle knock much better then many other pistons with out noisy piston slap) 9.0 or 9.5-1 compression will be fine. K1 rods are probably the cheapest upgrade rod you can get and no extra machine work needed to make them fit. ACL or Clevite bearings, and Cometic head gasket and you should be fine.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

I used Carrillo Rods, Darton Mid-Sleeves, Clevite Bearings, CP 9.5:1 Pistons and a Rock Head Gasket in my race motor. And whoever mentioned sleeves, Half-Sleeve from Golden Eagle installed is $1200+ shipping. Mid-Sleeves are considerably more.

I use CP Pistons 9.5:1, K1 Rods, Clevite Bearings and a Rock Head Gasket in my built DD motor.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Thanks guys - anybody else have info?