Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

2008 turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrBurrito
Originally Posted by toyota_scion_tc
the descendent turbo kits are the bomb make sure to check those out before you make your descision.

I am sorry man I have to argue with you on this there kits use cheap parts. Ptuning or Dezod FTW
why do you say there stuff is cheap.
Look at there turbo kit

Uses BPV instead of a BOV that could have been recirculated, No T-bolt clamps, Is the turbo Ball bearing they don't say, no stainless braded hoses used for feed or return. There were other reasons I would have to look at the kit again.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
To the OP, the best advice really you can receive or get is to just take a look at the different kits offered, and DON'T take the word from the people here, including myself. We are all biased.....especially the manufacture of their own kits (of course they going to tell you to buy their kit).

Anyhow, take a look at the different kits (PTuning, Dezod, Turbonetics, World Racing, GReddy, TurboToyotas), and take a GREAT look in DETAIL at the components in the kits, the way they are constructed, do research on any pitfalls from the kits, should there be any. Take a look at the limitations of running a Log manifold vs EL (Equal length manifold). First you have to ask yourself....."At some point in my years, and I going to want to run more power". If you haven't been boosted before.....you will find out that boost is addictive. 250whp after so long will start to feel like stock, and you will want to know what 300whp feels like and etc..

So, do your research, those kits listed are the most prominent on the scene. Compare WHAT you are getting and for WHAT your getting it for.
absolutly.......doesnt get more true than that but you did forget a couple of kits that are out or atleast i think they are out, vulcan turbo kit, treadstone (i know trav you dont have to say it...lol), sound performance, then thers the atp kits that do not come with intercooler or pipes just a turbo, mani, downpipe pretty much.

ima have to mention Turbo Toyotas of course.... (i know trav you already mentioned it)
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

you know after naming off some of thes companies i realized that we are a spoiled group to have all thes kits made available to us....

aftermarket support ftmfw!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by crush02342002
you know after naming off some of thes companies i realized that we are a spoiled group to have all thes kits made available to us....

aftermarket support ftmfw!!!!!!!!!!!!
x2
most other car owners would die to get the kinda support we have.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the descendent turbo kits are the bomb make sure to check those out before you make your descision.

I am sorry man I have to argue with you on this there kits use cheap parts. Ptuning or Dezod FTW
Look at there turbo kit

Uses BPV instead of a BOV that could have been recirculated, No T-bolt clamps, Is the turbo Ball bearing they don't say, no stainless braded hoses used for feed or return. There were other reasons I would have to look at the kit again.
well fisrt of all those pieces are put on the kit to make it try and pass carb. but other than that everything is sound think about it with everything stock including the airbox and exhaust i've seen it hit 260-270hp.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:45 AM
SL Member

lookin into the ptuning kit. looks like hte best bang for the buck. considering it includes the aem fic, ill let the shop install it, crank it down to like 6-7 psi and tune it.

then i can hook up to the aem fic and play with it a bit since i hear the software is brainless to use
Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 AM
SL Member

question, if i add either the greddy or apexi avc-r boost controllers, will i always have to adjust a/f when i crank the boost down or crank it up?

id much rather have a digitally controlled boost set up so i can easily go from drive mode to race mode.

ifigure it isnt a huge deal if i can hook into the fic but id rather not need a laptop every time i make boost changes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by waterhurley
question, if i add either the greddy or apexi avc-r boost controllers, will i always have to adjust a/f when i crank the boost down or crank it up?

id much rather have a digitally controlled boost set up so i can easily go from drive mode to race mode.

ifigure it isnt a huge deal if i can hook into the fic but id rather not need a laptop every time i make boost changes
from what i know you have to get different tunes for different boost levels. get 2 tunes if you want one for daily driving and then one for the track, that's my suggestion.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
Originally Posted by waterhurley

from what i know you have to get different tunes for different boost levels. get 2 tunes if you want one for daily driving and then one for the track, that's my suggestion.
not necessarily, i can go from 7psi to 12psi without changing my map. your maps just have to be tuned for your max pressure level, however it is nice to be able to swap between two maps say like a winter map and summer map. the aem fic offers the ability to swap between two maps which helps for such an occasion.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
SL Member

ive been playin with the AEM software this morning with some sample maps. like ive said before im considering buying the aem fic upgrade now for minor tuning for a couple horseys on the stock setup then re-map once the turbo kit is on

i wanna learn to tune my own car and ive been forum surfing between this forum and aem's forum trying to learn more.

think if i call p-tunning and have them take out the AEM FIC i can get a better deal? like i said, i wanna tune a bit stock and learn the differences in power and such, then once i got that down ill put the turbo kit on, let the shop tune it, and ill go back and fine tune it.

looking into it id rather get the upgraded modle that has the boost controller in it (and alls u need to do is buy the solenoid kit) and set up 2 maps, 1 for daily driving, and 1 for killing civics

edit: seeing as how the software has the option for tcs, should i enable it through the AEM fic sincce our tC's dont actually have TCS?

almost dont see the point cuz i warm the tires up with a little 2nd gear roll, slowly pull the brake back while giving it throttle. seems to spin both tires and get them warm. then i line up and take off. i figure the tcs would be good for take off but will suck to warm them up a bit.... i mean its not like i create a smokeshow.... often....
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM
SL Member

btw if i go with the p-tunnning kit with the garret t03/04e kit with the 625cc injectors, i plan on runnin at 7psi of boost for daily use and crank it up to 8.5 or 9psi to kill _____es.

since the turbo install will also involve lightened pullys and a new clutch, id rather do the fic first.

im an electrical guy anyway and im sure i can install it myself in a few hours with some crimps, soldier, and electrical tape.

i did install 80% of my own remote start
Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

PTuning > all the rest.
i thought you were buying a world racing kit? or was it just the wing
I bought the wing off of Rado's car. I can't justify the price of their kit though, what they have done to it (stock airbox, bpv...etc. to meet CARB certification), has nothing to do with me. I don't live in Cali, so that's money wasted. PTuning is my path.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
To the OP, the best advice really you can receive or get is to just take a look at the different kits offered, and DON'T take the word from the people here, including myself. We are all biased.....especially the manufacture of their own kits (of course they going to tell you to buy their kit).

Anyhow, take a look at the different kits (PTuning, Dezod, Turbonetics, World Racing, GReddy, TurboToyotas), and take a GREAT look in DETAIL at the components in the kits, the way they are constructed, do research on any pitfalls from the kits, should there be any. Take a look at the limitations of running a Log manifold vs EL (Equal length manifold). First you have to ask yourself....."At some point in my years, and I going to want to run more power". If you haven't been boosted before.....you will find out that boost is addictive. 250whp after so long will start to feel like stock, and you will want to know what 300whp feels like and etc..

So, do your research, those kits listed are the most prominent on the scene. Compare WHAT you are getting and for WHAT your getting it for.
absolutly.......doesnt get more true than that but you did forget a couple of kits that are out or atleast i think they are out, vulcan turbo kit, treadstone (i know trav you dont have to say it...lol), sound performance, then thers the atp kits that do not come with intercooler or pipes just a turbo, mani, downpipe pretty much.

ima have to mention Turbo Toyotas of course.... (i know trav you already mentioned it)

I "guess" Honorable mention can go to Vulcan turbo, treadstone, and sound performance...

We do have a crap load of kit options.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by noskatana94
So I know everyone has there own opinion and such so here is mine. I am very supportive of everyone that has anything to do with making the Scion world better for all of us. But in the same sense I want quality and reliability and I want to know that it is proven, and with that being said I would 100% go with DEZOD's S1 Kit. For one what you are looking to do like a few other people have stated there is no sense in paying for more if you don't plan on using it. The S1 kit will come with everything you need to get you were you want, it was designed to be an entry level kit at a bargain price and it has been tested to the fullest extents. I have personally been running mine now for 2yrs and running on 8lbs and average 275whp and 255ft/lbs. This is my daily driver and I have had no major issues. Now just so you know I am not saying that the other kits are bad ones. Here is a link to the S1 kit and if you have and questions at all contact Paul at Dezod and he will be more than happy to answer any ?'s you may have. http://www.dezod.com/pd_force_fed_concepts.cfm

And here is a copy of my dyno sheet from when Paul tuned my car.

And here is a video of the kit in action. I know it says it is only on 7lbs but it is really on 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kC7vZ14LEg
Thank you Jarrod. That 54 trim is still rocking your world huh?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok....here we go.....ptuning will give you the absolute best bang for your buck!!!! and whats this turn boost down to 6-7??? oh please keep it simple 8psi is right where you need to be...if i were you i would be looking at 10psi but ..dont waiste money turning it down...8psi is reliable and powerful...please do the wise thing and get the ptuning kit and leave it at there setting at 8psi...done...and there kit looks the best
Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
SL Member

Everyones entitled to their opinion of what kit is the best to get but IMO why not just go with a Dezod s1 kit? Keep it on 8lbs of boost and call it a day. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like they have one of the most bought kits on the market right now and the most R&D as well as many satisfied customers. Isnt the ptuning kit more than a dezod s1 kit? OP said he was looking for something simple granted his price range may be off...

And for 8lbs of boost, I am most definitely having fun with it. I have been in my friends Evos and STIs and although 264whp may not seem like much it pulls like a beast and I can honestly say I am very satisfied (well thats probably where the 290wtq comes in...)

Go to my sig for more info on my setup and see maybe if something similar to that will suit your needs.

PS. I still am going to up the boost eventually, but surprisingly enough right now it is extremely fun.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by On3Sh0tBlaz3
Everyones entitled to their opinion of what kit is the best to get but IMO why not just go with a Dezod s1 kit? Keep it on 8lbs of boost and call it a day. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like they have one of the most bought kits on the market right now and the most R&D as well as many satisfied customers. Isnt the ptuning kit more than a dezod s1 kit? OP said he was looking for something simple granted his price range may be off...

No, that's not accurate. Especially on being "most R&D'ed". Sure they have an abundant amount of kits out there....but you can see it also as being...."Do you want to be like everyone else, or do you want to be different?" That's just one aspect of looking at it as well. All the kits are good. And this is just my opinion, but the PTuning kit is "Technological Wise"...far superior than Dezods or TT's, let alone talking about it from a race stand point. PTuning's kit was first proven on a race track, then transcended down to the street. Everything else with the exception of World Racing started from the street and stayed there since they can make a quick buck by offering cheap kits. That's just my opinion, not bashing anyone or their kit choice.

And the sad truth of the matter is, SL'fers/Scion owners are cheap *****, so they want something for nothing. And catering to that said "cheapness" is taken advantage of by sticking with cheap kits/parts. Not to say they offer crappy quality parts or anything, just saying they are more in it for the money, so they want the most return on investment. Kinda like Walmart would offering a low price over a more upscale Target store (which are mostly found in more financially prominent areas).
Old 03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look at there turbo kit

has anyone that is bad mouthing the quality of world parts ever even been to cali ? the reason they did everything they did is so they can pass carb testing. i drove through cali coming home from AZ. got pulled over several times for small little things, it was insane. they made me pop my hood twice to make sure everything was carb approved or i was going to get a ticket and i did. got one for modified exhaust. point is cops in cali are looking out for more. its more strict there. using worlds kit if you popped the hood and you see a nice turbo manifold and a turbo your in trouble unless it comes with the little carb approved tag. the turbo they run is a ball bearing. and as far as the lines and clamps, those were made for world racing themselves. they gurantee they will hold up and work good. this kit comes with a life time warranty and makes more power than the ptuning kit. ( from worlds dyno sheets) its not a bad kit but to buy it and getting it installed you are a few grand off your budget.

todd on the other hand makes some really nice stuff. really really nice. the quality in his fabrication is incredible. i have not seen ptuning in person but i have seen dezod and turbonetics. i like the turbotoyotas stuff way better. it comes with a tubed manifold and not a log style. log style is more likely to create backpreasure witch is bad for your motor and you loose power. turbo toyotas offers quality parts at a good price. Customer service is good too. Todd has helped me out plenty with my build. He is a good guy and he is really into what he does. most of his kits make 270 whp +++ at 8 psi id say turbo toyotas all the way................
Old 03-04-2009, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by scikotictc232

Look at there turbo kit

has anyone that is bad mouthing the quality of world parts ever even been to cali ? the reason they did everything they did is so they can pass carb testing. i drove through cali coming home from AZ. got pulled over several times for small little things, it was insane. they made me pop my hood twice to make sure everything was carb approved or i was going to get a ticket and i did. got one for modified exhaust. point is cops in cali are looking out for more. its more strict there. using worlds kit if you popped the hood and you see a nice turbo manifold and a turbo your in trouble unless it comes with the little carb approved tag. the turbo they run is a ball bearing. and as far as the lines and clamps, those were made for world racing themselves. they gurantee they will hold up and work good. this kit comes with a life time warranty and makes more power than the ptuning kit. ( from worlds dyno sheets) its not a bad kit but to buy it and getting it installed you are a few grand off your budget.

todd on the other hand makes some really nice stuff. really really nice. the quality in his fabrication is incredible. i have not seen ptuning in person but i have seen dezod and turbonetics. i like the turbotoyotas stuff way better. it comes with a tubed manifold and not a log style. log style is more likely to create backpreasure witch is bad for your motor and you loose power. turbo toyotas offers quality parts at a good price. Customer service is good too. Todd has helped me out plenty with my build. He is a good guy and he is really into what he does. most of his kits make 270 whp +++ at 8 psi id say turbo toyotas all the way................
So basically if you're not from Cali, the Descendant kit is pretty much a bad option, considering the Dezod and PTuning kits offer so much more.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Update on Ptuning, they have a "tuner" kit with no fueling but if you need the injectors may wanna check with then for that. Just though I put that out there.... since it seems you have a AEM FIC already.

Quick Reply: 2008 turbo kits