Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

2AZFE Crankwalk | I need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Default 2AZFE Crankwalk | I need some help!

Alright, this is not the first time I've had issues with the tC motor, I've had my short block replaced because of a spun bearing, cylinder damage as well as other damges to the short block [highly documented already here on SL]. So now to the new issue I'm having... crankwalk!

As some of you may know, crankwalk is very common in some of the older DSM's, I however seem to be the unlucky dog to have had this happen to this motor. How you ask? I don't really know... maybe the 109,000+ miles?

This is the low down and dirty...

Initial issues I had was that I'd press the clutch in while in neutral at a stop, the car would cut out completely, or while downshifting, it would seize the motor up and would cut off even while in motion. I took the tC to Aamco here in SOMD, long story short, I was told it was crankwalk. I researched it, found it really odd that it happend in this motor, but after pulling the motor and tranny, ripping it apart, I've seen it first hand.

Above is my thrust bearing sitting at the bottom of my oil pan... wonderful, eh?

Here is [mind you it's not actually installed, just sitting there to demonstrate] the good side of the block where the block was not ate by the crank...

Now here is how the ate-up side of the block looks, and below that is the explination of the actual issue.

Here is what the issues are...

Here is what I need to locate or have engineered to remedy this issue with minimal costs... I would need to find a 1-piece upper thrust bearing to replace the current 2-piece design that Toyota engineered... Very poor design IMO!

**Not the actual part, just example**

So I've been in contact with numerous folks trying to see if anyone has any leads or connections, perhaps this has been addressed in built motors, etc?

Let me hear some feedback! Thank you!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

so if your previous damage was well documented here, why did you not use the same user name to post this under rather than creating a screen name just for this? I have to ask, because there is some little kiddie with half a brain running around on forums posting up that his engine randomly failed and that Toyota engineered it poorly. .although it is normally proven to be the same guy. If you are not him, that is cool, if you are, take every bit of offense to the names I called him

Sorry, but one has to be skeptical with a totally uncommon failure item posted by a brand knew username.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW running the ____ out of your car and then spinning a bearing isnt crank walk... I have had multiple DSM and this is nothing close to wht it looks like... 2 Its a toyota do you know how crank walk happens? it has to do with the oil setup . You might wanna check out the way the engine is engineered before you open your mouth. #2 this would be the first toyota in the History of yota to ever have this problem... you might wanna take it to a toyota specialest instead of a DSM specialest
Old 05-19-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I didnt even bother finishing reading what he posted (cant see the pics from work either) but it does sound pretty messed up. Frist, why would someone link a stalling issue when you let off the throttle to crank walk straight out????

Also, there are various issues that can lead to it, some related to poor oiling (especially if the timing chains and/or oil drive chain has an oil fed tensioner that is not working, causing vibrations on the crank) or improper dampening of harmonic vibrations (the good old lightweight pulley topic again ).

This sounds like another "my tC is just randomly falling apart for no reason cause it sucks" attempt threads to me. I am buying it less and less the more I read it.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
I didnt even bother finishing reading what he posted (cant see the pics from work either) but it does sound pretty messed up. Frist, why would someone link a stalling issue when you let off the throttle to crank walk straight out????

Also, there are various issues that can lead to it, some related to poor oiling (especially if the timing chains and/or oil drive chain has an oil fed tensioner that is not working, causing vibrations on the crank) or improper dampening of harmonic vibrations (the good old lightweight pulley topic again ).

This sounds like another "my tC is just randomly falling apart for no reason cause it sucks" attempt threads to me. I am buying it less and less the more I read it.
x2
Old 05-19-2008, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by stockturbo15

x2
X3
Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

X4
Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

I have to ask
Click Here and you'll know WHO I am, why I'm not using that SN, etc... may get tha boot for this, but screw it, I figured all of the community should see this and learn from it, same way I've always been.. since day 1!

If that should leave any doubts in your minds... PM me!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by JL56TC
BTW running the poop out of your car and then spinning a bearing isnt crank walk... I have had multiple DSM and this is nothing close to wht it looks like... 2 Its a toyota do you know how crank walk happens? it has to do with the oil setup . You might wanna check out the way the engine is engineered before you open your mouth. #2 this would be the first toyota in the History of yota to ever have this problem... you might wanna take it to a toyota specialest instead of a DSM specialest
Alright kid, first off, watch yourself! No one needs a friggin e-ego in this thread! So bounce if that's your intentions...

Secondly, crankwalk will happen when the thrust bearing goes, reference the first picture posted. Yes, it's also a result of an oil problem, refer to my other historical thread or "saga" and you'll see this isn't a new issue at all... PAL!

Third, my mouth stays open because I contribute to this community kid... again, let's keep your SL e-ego tame... Sport!

Yes, 1st Toyota is absoutely correct, and I did research to come to the conclusion this is a common issue in DSM's and not in 2AZFE's...

Now, with that being said...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

I didnt even bother finishing reading what he posted (cant see the pics from work either) but it does sound pretty messed up.
That's because it is messed up!

Frist, why would someone link a stalling issue when you let off the throttle to crank walk straight out????
I was stalling when I depressed the clutch, when the crank moves left and right out of spec, it'll cut the motor. I didn't EVER think it was crankwalk until the tranny was pulled off the motor and you could see movement of the crank, then it was obvious this was crankwalk...

Correct, I have the 3pc. NST pully set on my tC...

I know now after you read all this again, my reputation will make everyone eat those words and actually work with me here... I'm not a new member, in fact, I've been around the community for a while... as you know!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bryan06tC
X4
You cat-daddy's can do all the multiplying you want, but bottom line, it happend, and we're going to get to the bottom of it one way or another...

I'm heading home from work, I'm going to check on this thread in a few hours, hopefully a few of you will have read the comments and we can move forward instead of being hesitant to actually work with someone because they're a "new member" to the site...

This community has fallen off something terrible...

Makes me enjoy Scikotics more and more everyday!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Doesn't even look like crank walk, you can see from the pics you posted that the lower end cap, is raised, CLEARLY indicating a spun bearing. you can see the bearing has moved! If you have crank walk your motor would, #1 Most likely never start again, let alone turn over, #2 Prolly would have done WAY more damage than a silly Thrust Washer, #3 Shouldn't be boosting a TC with 109K on it...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, if you are running a lightweight crank pulley, many of us "crazies" have warned a million times of crank failure/crank walk issues with them. Dinan, ATI and toyota sources were cited. But sense it hadnt happened "yet" we were idiots and naysayers.

I also cant see the pics from work, so I cant say what it looks like from those.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

This is what crank walk looks like

So I too call BS.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

This is what crankwalk bearings look like.

None of yours have ANY side wear, nor ANY severe inner wear.

Your Bearings:

Not one sliver of damage to the sides? Your crank never walked, otherwise it would have chewed the crap out of the sides of the bearings.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, if you are running a lightweight crank pulley, many of us "crazies" have warned a million times of crank failure/crank walk issues with them. Dinan, ATI and toyota sources were cited. But sense it hadnt happened "yet" we were idiots and naysayers.

I also cant see the pics from work, so I cant say what it looks like from those.
Well I'm going to come straight out, I'm Stu Gotti, author of the Gotti Saga thread and TONs of others here on SL...

engifineer, I know you know me...

So, with that being said, perhaps this pully did it, perhaps something else did? I don't know, but I know one thing, I need a 1-piece bearing to remedy this failure and save myself money.

Well check the pics, you'll see the damage to the wall of the block and the end-caps.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChicagosFinest
This is what crank walk looks like

So I too call BS.
Your cute, but ignorant...

Make sure you read the thread CAREFULLY! 2 of those pics up there are of the good side where NO damage had been done by the crankwalk, the 2 pics below the good ones are of the side with CLEAR AS DAY damage to the wall and the end-cap.

Call BS if you want, but my effin motor is out of my car and I'm staring at the GD damage... so yeah... BS... pfft!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by OC3RULZ
This is what crankwalk bearings look like. None of yours have ANY side wear, nor ANY severe inner wear.
Correct, if in fact they're a 1-piece design like you've pictured, if you were aware of the inner workings of the tC [which is obvious you may not] the 2AZFE has a 2-piece design... which is why 2 of the 4 pics I have are the good side where no damage was, and why the other side [which incredibly you failed to capture in your smartass quote] is in fact chewed up.

Originally Posted by OC3RULZ
Your Bearings:

Not one sliver of damage to the sides? Your crank never walked, otherwise it would have chewed the crap out of the sides of the bearings.
Ignorance my friend, let's not jump to conclusions until you have factual evidence...

That picture is the good side, go back and read, thank you, come again!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

My bad, oh wait:

nope still looks good.

oh yeah and the crank never touched your block, the bearing is in the way, the damage to the block was either #1 Done on your prior bearing failure when they were put in/taken out, #2 Done by the rest of the thrust washer ripping out. if the crank touched your block while spinning, your block would be in pieces.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Look, I'm simply here to share information and work through a fellow tC owners issue and hopefully we can all learn and walk away from this smarter... not ____ed off like I am already dealing with the smartass comments and BS that I've got thus far.

SL members need to pull your heads out your *****... just because someone is a new member, without a full red bar, doesn't mean they lack the knowledge to post vital and informative information on a community board.

I've got more posts on my Stu Gotti account then half of you have done thus far, so cut the shiz... I don't care to entertain children, I'm here to share and provide insight to the community and those members who want to learn with me.

Thank you!

Stu Gotti - HMFIC of Maryland Scikotics
www.myspace.com/stugotti

Quick Reply: 2AZFE Crankwalk | I need some help!