Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

2AZFE Crankwalk | I need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: 2AZFE Crankwalk | I need some help!

Originally Posted by Ptuningcom
The block you have in the picture cannot and should not be reused--unless of course you just want to slap the motor together and trade the car into carmax. Good luck with the next build.

MrC
Yeah, I'm aware of that, the only reason I would have would to have traded it in... thanks again!

Great info!

Guess my 135i might be coming quicker than I thought...
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trade-in value will probably be shot to hell and back. Have you thought about selling to a junk yard?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You might want to try to hit some junk yards up for a used engine. It is possible one of them might not realize what they have and give you a good deal for it. After all the reading I have done on lightweight crank pulleys that was probally the cause of your problems. I had one and removed it from my car to reinstall the oem pulley. I am going boost soon and bought one of these http://www.atiperformanceproducts.co.../damtoyota.htm
call it overkill if you want to but I would rather have piece of mind. I am working on getting a complete engine build and this pulley will be used on that as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, thanks again for some of the replies, emails, etc, I am assuming that at this point there isn't much I can do to try and say the dealership was at fault. Both of the thrust bearings were in the oil pan, only one of them was actually pictured, if what MrC says are the possible reasons, then the 2nd one I dont think is it because it's the correct bearing. The 1st senario however could be it, but at this point since it's already apart, there is obviously no way of proving anything, especially with the 109,000 miles+ and the crank pully.

I'm going to keep dealing with the one gentlemen I'm working with for having a 1-piece upper thrust bearing made, there is still enough lip to seat the bearing into place and from what I'm being told from those actually having hands on, it will make my engine as good as new because the 1-piece basically eliminates the issue all together.

More to follow once I get word back about the 1-piece, or there will be another built motor journey.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I sent you a reply on scikotis as well. Sorry to doubt you.. but if you knew the person I am talking about, you would understand :D

I would certainly stay away from the pulley on the new build. Someone asked ATI to build pullies for the tC a long while back. Their reply was that if they built one, it would be for modded engines and would have MORE damper, not less In other words, they dont support using a non-dampened pulley on an engine designed to use a dampened pulley.

There was another guy having issues with his front seal leaking after installing one over on ystc. Pulley was properly installed, no issues with contact, etc. For the record, I had a cavalier with crankwalk issues.. it went through 2 front seals in 1 month. Dont get me into that one... it had zero endplay, crank seemed to walk the "wrong" direction.. enough to grind the pulley into the timing cover .. so a good amount. Chalked it up finally to block flex and trashed the whole thing My dad (40 year mechanic) and a very good machine shop could not figure it out, so that was about the best we could do with it. But.. to digress... ...

The largest problem with them on supras was crank walk as well.

So, maybe not the cause, could certainly be it, but I wouldnt risk it again.

I wouldnt worry about it happening again otherwise, since this is obviously a fairly rare issue on this motor.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChicagosFinest
This is what crank walk looks like

So I too call BS.
This is a Funny pix for this topic.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
I sent you a reply on scikotis as well. Sorry to doubt you.. but if you knew the person I am talking about, you would understand :D

I would certainly stay away from the pulley on the new build. Someone asked ATI to build pullies for the tC a long while back. Their reply was that if they built one, it would be for modded engines and would have MORE damper, not less In other words, they dont support using a non-dampened pulley on an engine designed to use a dampened pulley.

There was another guy having issues with his front seal leaking after installing one over on ystc. Pulley was properly installed, no issues with contact, etc. For the record, I had a cavalier with crankwalk issues.. it went through 2 front seals in 1 month. Dont get me into that one... it had zero endplay, crank seemed to walk the "wrong" direction.. enough to grind the pulley into the timing cover .. so a good amount. Chalked it up finally to block flex and trashed the whole thing My dad (40 year mechanic) and a very good machine shop could not figure it out, so that was about the best we could do with it. But.. to digress... ...

The largest problem with them on supras was crank walk as well.

So, maybe not the cause, could certainly be it, but I wouldnt risk it again.

I wouldnt worry about it happening again otherwise, since this is obviously a fairly rare issue on this motor.
I got it Dave, thanks again man! Sorry if I stepped on toes here or ____ed someone off... not my intentions, but SL has got to ease up on being so quick to jump over folks... I understand there are going to be one or two folks that make it hard to trust initial postings from folks, but don't allow that to make this site fall off further...

It's all about the "One Love" we have for these cars, if folks cannot come here to post and get answers, how the hell are we supposed to grow as a community?

Always a rare issue with my motor haha, so I'm just going to take what I've learned here and hopefully figure out what not to do next time.. if I had to take a stab, I'd say with the crappy service and issues I had with the Toyota of SOMD experience in my Gotti Saga thread, I wouldn't doubt that some jackass installed the thrust bearing backwards... I know the 23mm crank bearing was used, that's not an option...

Pully, as you already said, could go on for days about it... but hell, almost 75,000 miles with it on and it took that long, I'd still say it was worth the fun while it lasted.

For the record, that picture is funny... just haven't been in the best of moods when my car's been down for some time now.

Aight, I've exhausted what I need from this thread, ya'll hold it down and I'll see some of you on Scikotics I'm sure in the future!

Gotti out!
Old 05-20-2008, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BroketC
Originally Posted by JL56TC
BTW running the poop out of your car and then spinning a bearing isnt crank walk... I have had multiple DSM and this is nothing close to wht it looks like... 2 Its a toyota do you know how crank walk happens? it has to do with the oil setup . You might wanna check out the way the engine is engineered before you open your mouth. #2 this would be the first toyota in the History of yota to ever have this problem... you might wanna take it to a toyota specialest instead of a DSM specialest
Alright kid, first off, watch yourself! No one needs a friggin e-ego in this thread! So bounce if that's your intentions...

Secondly, crankwalk will happen when the thrust bearing goes, reference the first picture posted. Yes, it's also a result of an oil problem, refer to my other historical thread or "saga" and you'll see this isn't a new issue at all... PAL!

Third, my mouth stays open because I contribute to this community kid... again, let's keep your SL e-ego tame... Sport!

Yes, 1st Toyota is absoutely correct, and I did research to come to the conclusion this is a common issue in DSM's and not in 2AZFE's...

Now, with that being said...
Actually it looks like your a Newbie to me so I dont really know about the whole Contributing thing.

#2 you clearly spun a baring

#3 how many DSM's have you owned and what do you know about them.... if you have did you own a 1st gen or a second gen... thats just to test your knowlage.... and if im the "kid" than damn old man I must be smarter than you
Old 05-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned
Scikotics
SL Member

It's ok kiddo... I'm not here to e-battle you sport... move along... this thread is dead now...

Holla!
Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after trying to get information in this thread, halfway through i gave up because most of you scion owners act like your 12 years old and call each other noobs and "OmG You DONt kNOw As MUCh As I do aBoUT mOtORS!!111111"

you guys need to ____ing grow up.