Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't say I'm angry with him all-together... Paul is a good guy and this post just came as a surprise that's all.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

well good luck to all in getting the car running again.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You crack me up.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 20tCDude05
Funny how you were talking poop to me and now your car is messed up bad. LOL, my car works. You crack me up.
what goes around comes around man... why don't you show sympathy instead of being.... well, you... this could have happened to anyone here, could happen to you tomorrow...
Old 02-14-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 20tCDude05
Funny how you were talking poop to me and now your car is messed up bad. LOL, my car works. You crack me up.
Once again Neil, try and be nice. Keep it professional.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
I am slightly frustrated with this post Paul...

I will agree that I installed and sold the kit. I've turbo'd about 10 tCs now, and about 5 Civic kits. I've tuned numerous cars without any issues and know what I am doing with the EMS systems.

I installed the kit. There were fitment problems with the downpipe (which I told him that I'd replace free of charge!), and there was a slight exhaust like with the car cas a result. A small leak cannot cause an engine to blow, so we proceeded with the install. Once things finished up towards the end of the night, we decided to take it for a drive. I flashed the Greddy eManage with the tune that was on my tC, and Jake's tC here for over 2 years now. The tune is a great base tune and runs rich with about 4 degrees of timing pulled. Keep in mind out kit, Greddy's, Turbonetics, etc ALL ship with a pre-tune. It is a safe tune proven to work on the car their for without risking total failure.

So we flashed the ECU. I installed the Dezod Black box for partial throttle fuel trims. We took the car on the road. With no gauges Paul (the owner of the car) immediately floored it in second gear and took it to about 6k. I told him to back off on the throttle. We had no gauges working as of yet, and were planning on doing them in the morning. So he starts driving and everything is fine. We then switched and I drove the car myself. I know what to listen for and I took it down the road, with partial throttle boost and had no sound of detonation, pinging, etc.

So we head back and I hop out of the car. The data logging on the eManage looked good so I told him to just cruise for the night and we'd finish the gauge and bolt stuff in the morning. I got a call early Saturday morning saying the car sprayed oil and wouldn't turn over. This is while he was in traffic on a busy road (what I was told).

A non turbo automatic tC was passing him (out accelerating), so I know he wasn't on it much when this happend. Once I got the call early in the morning I washed up and drove over there right away. I took the car apart on the side of the road for him, and we determined where the problem was. I PAID to have the car towed back to my place. I then proceeded to remove all of the turbo stuff and put it back to stock to have a dealer take a look at it. I know all of the guys at the dealer down the street and they told me they'd look at it for me. I then PAID AGAIN to have the car towed to the dealer. The dealer put the wrong phone on the invoice (by one digit) so I didn't hear back for a few days. I then drove there myself, updated my phone, and provided Paul's information as well so we could move this as quickly as possible.

They told that they would not repair the engine under warranty and gave us estimates. It was Paul's decision to then leave the car at the dealer until further notice.

I've answered or return every call from Paul since (including multiple calls on the weekends, morning and night). I've done everything I can so far to help and was told he knew of mechanics that would have the engine switched out.

He asked of we could sell turbo kit used so he can get money to put the car back to stock, and then sell his car to get something else. I agreed to that as an option but we didn't decide on it. He then said he wanted to build the car, and I told him he'd get the parts at cost because I'm not looking to make money off of him.

I've been very helpful to Paul and fully stand behind the stuff that we do. We can't say for sure what caused the engine to blow but I am working with him to get this resolved. I spoke to Paul just yesterday, and everything was fine. We have a game plan on what we were doing and were both in agreement with everything. I told him to keep me updated as to what was going on and we'd go from there. He didn't call me once today and then made this post.

I feel that I have been doing what I can to help him out with this situation. I take every call and he has not once said to me that I am to pay for everything. I can say that this issue will be resolved in a professional matter. I told him that I'd re-install everything for free as well, as I've done this numerous times without a single mis-hap.

Sometimes things happen, and I am doing what I can to help out the customer. We at Dezod have NEVER abandoned a customer, and will not start now.

Paul - I await a call from you so we can discuss this further. As far as I knew we had this pretty much figured out as of yesterday.

-Joe
I know Joe, trust me I am not blaming you as we BOTH do not know what caused it. I never ONCE in this post said the kit caused it, he tune caused it, the bad engine, w/e the case may be.

I did not blame you guys once. The fact that you did what you could in AZ while my car was there was enough for me. I honestly have nothing bad to say about how we handled the situation.

I ONLY posted this because I wanted to get it out of me and that my car will be up and running in 2 weeks hopefully...that is what I am hoping. I know that you were able to get me a new down pipe, I know that you came to help me when it blew, you paid for tows, took it to the dealer, took it apart.

I do appreciate it. I have nothing bad to say.

Joe, seriously, I never not once put the blame on you guys in my post. I don't call out anything unless I have facts.

The facts that stand are these: We don't know exactly what happened.

That is that. I am rebuilding. I do not like to cause drama. You know where I stand on this. If I wanted drama I would have made it seem that way in my original post.

If this is causing you or your company any issues I will gladly take this thread down. I posted this to show what happened to my car, not to blame anyone. Don't take it that way.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Way to handle it guys, glad we saw both aspects and the issue is getting resolved.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yes, the dezod family are standup guys that are so involved in our community and its kind of obvious that they strive to continue to be the leaders in developing parts for the tC at exceptionally reasonalbe prices. They are always looking to help anyway possible. They are a completely sincere group of guys and to compare them to a company like ZPI is just ludacris and completely ignorant and so far from the truth. Lemme tell you something about Dezod...when I got into my car accident and totalled out my s/c tC more than a year ago, Paul out of nowhere sent me a get well card to my house. Name one company as rocking and busy as them that will go out of there way to do such a thing for their customers. You all should be ashamed of yourselfs for even remotely trying to place dezod on any level near the lowlife Kenny Strickler and his group of loyal con artists that used to go by the name of ZPI. Im disgusted by some of the things that I am reading in this thread. Joe thank you for your side of the story as it makes all the sense in the world. Keep up the good work Dezod. Ya know, its funny, all these people comparing dezod to zpi havent evne dealt with dezod in the past
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
yes, the dezod family are standup guys that are so involved in our community and its kind of obvious that they strive to continue to be the leaders in developing parts for the tC at exceptionally reasonalbe prices. They are always looking to help anyway possible.
Agreed. I do not know anything about the whole ZPI situation that went down as I did not pay much attention to it but both Paul and Joe have answered any questions I have had and have helped me get this thing going again.

I will be up in AZ to pick up my car Saturday morning...see you there.

And to everyone else here, I will have updates ASAP on my car. On page 2 or 3 someone had posted that their RS2 blew as well...

Coincidence?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

holy ____, crazy stuff. i wish you luck in getting everything running!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome Paul, thank you.

This is why I never said I was mad at you. I was just surprised about the post. I think it came off the wrong way to many people on this thread, which is why so many posts were made in such a short period of time. I'm glad you posted back and clarified things for everyone.

I do not ask that you take it down, or hide anything. I would suggest you post an "update" on your first thread.

Keep your original post, and then merge my response, then your response. That will help clear things up for most people on the board that may not see this specific page. I'm glad we came to some agreements with things, and that we can work this out together professionally,

To those in question about Dezod’s commitment to customer service and quality, let this thread be a testament to how we handle even the worst situations.

It's unfortunate that it had to happen to you Paul, you're a great customer and deserve the best of luck with the new build. Please keep me updated about this coming weekend so I can be around when you want to pick all of the parts up.

-Joe
Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Whenever I read accounts like this, I always put myself in the position of the OP. What would I do if the same thing happened to me? I certainly don't have almost 10k to go through something like this. I saved as much as I could to get my 5k kit.

Had I taken as much time and researched like the OP, I'd be really upset with the outcome. How many of us with boosted tC's could go and get a brand new motor? How many of us rely on our boosted tC's as a DD?

ZPI left a lot of people without finished cars and out of money. At face value, that's exactly what this situation seemed like. Yes there are lots of great examples of Dezod customer service, but ditto could be said of ZPI before their ship sunk.

I've recommended Dezod to lots of people, and if something happened to my ZPI kit, there's a strong possibility that I'd get a setup from them. That having been said, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to bash someone for comparing one company to another is in bad form. It doesn't matter how many great experiences you've had at a restaurant. Seeing a roach once will usually make you think twice before going there again.

I'll wait for the outcome before I make my decision. Like I said before, Dezod is well known in our community for taking care of their customers, and they've even been great with answering my questions in a VERY timely manner, but at the end of the day, a good friend of mine has spent a lot of time and money, and if I was in the same situation, I'd be in a lot worse shape financially.

Anurok never dissed Dezod, and has had nothing but good things to say about the situation even when his peers were quick to jump to a conclusion, so don't put that on him.

geez, for all that money he could have had a turbo tC with a built motor making around 450-500hp!
Old 02-14-2008, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

You guys are making it sound way worse than it is with the money situation... Hes not 'out' 10k because he would have bought the turbo kit no matter what. So its not that bad. I mean, sure it sucks what happened but look at the bright side, hes gonna have a SICK tC when its done
Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrownDogg
You guys are making it sound way worse than it is with the money situation... Hes not 'out' 10k because he would have bought the turbo kit no matter what. So its not that bad. I mean, sure it sucks what happened but look at the bright side, hes gonna have a SICK tC when its done
Yes he will!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo PopCOrn!!!
I need some more popcorn!

Anyone have some fuel to throw on the fire??!! ??? Kickcaffene?? where are you! ???? ?? ( I kid I kid)

very professional fellas... I hope to do business with Dezod in the future!
Old 02-14-2008, 06:27 AM

[quote="anurok"]
Agreed. I do not know anything about the whole ZPI situation that went down
im new to the whole turbo scion thing, but noone here has ZPI parts i hope
Old 02-14-2008, 06:41 AM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I also never said I was out 10k, title said 10k and the I broke it down heh.

Yea, in the end I have spent a lot more than I had planned and now I have bills to pay. Hopefully it will all work out in the end =/
Old 02-14-2008, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

[quote="Moveover"]
Originally Posted by anurok
Agreed. I do not know anything about the whole ZPI situation that went down
im new to the whole turbo scion thing, but noone here has ZPI parts i hope
u misquoted me, that was anurok's statement about not knowing anything about zpi....I know everything about the whole zpi situation and then some...hell,I gave them such hell over the past 3 years on these boards that Im sure me, Munch and a few other OG members on this board were the topic of conversation at that ZPI shop more than Kenny could count with his elementary level brain.
ZPI probly has a vodoo doll with my name on it lol
I tried warning people from day one about zpi and whats funny is half the truth hasnt even been released about how bad of scammers they were. Between me, and a few other notable members on this board, Im sure we could write a novel about all the things thats werent even released to the public. Regarldess, it has nothing to do with the situation at hand and we can all be so thankfull that we have Dezod having our back when things like this happen. We all know the risks of putting a turbo kit on a vehicle. It is the innevitable that things will go wrong down the road and it is something you just hafta be prepared to deal with.
To the OP, I feel that you are in good hands with Joe at Dezod West
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know DezodWest is behind you Paul.We are excited to see your numbers after the rebuild. As Joe said before, let us know what you need and we will strive to accommodate you to the best of our ability .

You know my number call me if you need anything. I'm back from my vacation and the business cell is back on me!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

My RS2 smashed 1 ring landing and another cracked... had only around 2000 miles. I had a Profec II boost controller and they are notorious for not regulating boost properly. I'm afraid it was a boost spike that may have happened.

Quick Reply: 3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later