Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default 3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later

I purchased the Dezod S1 Tuner kit (Since I had an emanage already) from Joe over at Dezod West with no issues in the purchase. Everything arrived about a week and a half later as I was getting ready to drive out to Phoenix from San Diego to meet up with Joe so he could do the install.

I load everything up and drive the 5 or so hours to get there and we begin the turbo set up right away. DUN DUN DUN

We had huge issues with the turbo assemply as the down pipe did not quite fit directly onto the turbo itself possibly due to a bad measure somewhere made by Random Cat Techs since they may have rushed my down pipe to fit the cat I wanted on it.

After about 3 hours we finally got the down pipe on but now the waste gate had a small gap in it that we could not close with out dropping in a thinner smaller bolt to the other side and clamp it down with the nut. We would hold off on that and fix it the next day (so we thought).

Once the assembly was done, we began to work on all of the charge piping, oil pan, blow off, intercooler etc etc. After we finished the computer work and got the kit installed with the AEM A/F gauge (that was not responding at the time we took the car for a test run) it was about 2AM. We were tired beyond belief.

I drove the car very carefully to Browndogg dorm to crash for the night.

The next morning myself and Browndogg were going to head out to Lowes to pick up a new bolt for that exhaust leak. As we were driving BD pulled out in front of me but seeing as how I was scared to push it with that leak + only a base tune on it I shifted from 3rd to 4th, partial boost at 4k RPM, when I shifted it felt as if the car was about to snap in half....and then loud noises, fire and smoke all happened at once (with out the fire...although sometimes I wish it did catch fire...)

We pulled over thinking that the oil line had broken and spewed oil all over the hot pipes which caused the smoke. We saw a lot...a LOT of oil all over the bottom of the car near the oil pan, the REAR wheels, all over the fronts...all over everything.

We called up Joe to come help us out and he arrived a short time later. After pinpointing the problem to the Passenger side we removed that tire....to find this...

A crack in the crank shaft housing area...that can't be good right?

So we needed to remove the oil pan so we could see if anything was inside of it or anything else that was damaged. After draining it we pried it off...

To find...lots of stuff...

Lol, disaster. That was in my oil pan.

We also pointed out this...

A Rod piece that TWISTED. How does it TWIST?!

Think that is bad? Lol...

My entire OIL PUMP dislodged from the engine and had fallen into my oil pan. At this point we were fked. I needed a new engine. Myself without time left in AZ had to fly home and leave the car there with Joe.

We tried to take it back to stock, I waited about a week or so for a dealer response to give a WTF to Toyota but they didn't buy it =/

Waited another 2 weeks to see if anything could be done up in AZ to get my engine fixed. Nothing.

I got impatient and now where I stand is here:

Ordered an engine from Advanced Auto Wrecking
Drive myself out to AZ to pick up my car and bring it to Orange County
Delivering the engine to Corner 3 Garage
Corner 3 Garage will begin the install on Monday
Add the turbo, gauges, new clutch+fly wheel with Corner 3
Tow it to churches for tuning

I would not mind going through all of this if I could at least make it for the Greddy Garage Sale with all of my friends but I do not see that happening.

The culprit of all of this? Most say that the car leaned out because of the tune and blew, some say it was a faulty engine to begin with, and some are still confused by it.

Either way:

$5,500 for Turbo set up from Dezod West + install with Joe
$1,250 for new engine + delievery
$1,900+ for Installation with Corner 3 Garage
$600 for gauges
$300 for tuning with Church's

My greatest fear is that if I do all of this and my engine blows again...I hope it just blows up and catches fire and turns into an inferno so I don't have to deal with it again. So much stress =/

Car is back up (hopefully) by next Monday. Numbers...and news...come with it. Updates incoming.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ouch very unfortunate but get that baby running again!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

holy ____. haha

Well at least when it blew, it blew big. That is crazy. Glad to heat that you are ok. I hope that this motor holds together a bit better.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man that was horrible just reading what happened to you. GL on getting the car back on the road.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and later years down your life when you have kids you have a great story to tell and laugh about it on what great fun you had :D
Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I wish it hadn't blown big...seeing as how difficult it is for me to even get the money for this. It is becoming an expense I am having a hard time dealing with right now.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

WOW man.... thats nuts. i hope you can get everything taken care of ASAP and get up and running.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Banned
SL Member

why would you drive your car? I would have just rode with someone to Lowe's knowing that my car wasn't 100%. That's kinda dumb to do.... I'm not trying to hate, just trying to state the obvious...
Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I ONLY drove around in it because Joe with Dezod said it was perfectly fine.

I KNOW that I am a bit ignorant to a turbo kit/tune but if the guy I bought it from, installed it and put his tune on it says its ok...what is there to question?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$9550 total wow. 3/4 of the way to a new car!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, I would have just said fluck it. That is quite a story. It sounds to me like your engine was faulty from the beginning. No way that sort of damage could have happened in the time frame you list. Good luck with the rest of your build. Keep us updated.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:52 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh my. I am sorry this happened. Your alot more relaxed than I might have been. With Dezods reputation, I would have to guess it was a failure of something non turbo related. I atleast hope so.

Get the beast back on the rode and enjoy it!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I am going to rip apart the engine and see what is still good that I might be able to sell later on to make up some cash.

It might also give me some answers on what went wrong.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha, kindof contradicts the point of buying an affordably priced new car... doesn't it??

.02: go buy a used 93-99 civic and turbo a gsr/ls-vtec motor. it will probably be faster, and if it blows up again....at least you didnt spend too much $$$ on it.

sucks that your $17,000 investment went down the drain.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by SePaTc
haha, kindof contradicts the point of buying an affordably priced new car... doesn't it??

.02: go buy a used 93-99 civic and turbo a gsr/ls-vtec motor. it will probably be faster, and if it blows up again....at least you didnt spend too much $$$ on it.

True...until it gets stolen since I live 25 min from the border.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:12 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

A car is never an investment. And not everyone buys it as an affordable priced car. So quit it already.

(just as I think you got over yourself (you have had some helpful posts in the last few days) you prove you are the same old, I only post how much toyota sucks and hahahaha to everything that happens stuff)
Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I could have picked up an Evo for the money that I am spending on this car now =/
Old 02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn! That sux a$$. My money is on a faulty engine, as I'm running a little lean out of boost and rich in boost and a pieced together tune and my motor is fine. to bad you didn't find out untill after it was boosted. bad luck.
Hope it turns around for you.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by SePaTc

God you are possibly the stupidest person on SL. What is your deal?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by anurok
I could have picked up an Evo for the money that I am spending on this car now =/
Yeah...except your car right now is probably faster then a stock evo...and insurance is cheaper!

Quick Reply: 3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later