Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soulquarian
Originally Posted by kikcaffine
It's almost like ZPI all over again.

(looks at tC and prays ZPI kit doesn't blow up spontaneously)
No its not at all like ZPI. Jeez guys, chilax until Dezod says what they are planning on doing.
I know the OP, and he's been in constant contact with Dezod over the issue. $10,000 gone, car in another state, no engine...

Sounds like ZPI. They could prove me and everyone wrong, but until then, the OP is still GREATLY inconvienced.
Enough with the ZPI stuff! It's nothing like ZPI. I should know my car was one that was at ZPI when it closed down. Also, he's not out 10K, he's only out the cost of a motor and the cost of installing it which was around $3100. Now $3100 is still a lot but like I said nothing like zpi at all.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet

No its not at all like ZPI. Jeez guys, chilax until Dezod says what they are planning on doing.
I know the OP, and he's been in constant contact with Dezod over the issue. $10,000 gone, car in another state, no engine...

Sounds like ZPI. They could prove me and everyone wrong, but until then, the OP is still GREATLY inconvienced.
Enough with the ZPI stuff! It's nothing like ZPI. I should know my car was one that was at ZPI when it closed down. Also, he's not out 10K, he's only out the cost of a motor and the cost of installing it which was around $3100. Now $3100 is still a lot but like I said nothing like zpi at all.
Dude, he spent almost 10k for a non functioning car. Even drove to another state for install.

Dezod has a great track record with Scion community, and how they deal with this will determine if it gets tarnished. The OP did everything he was told to do by Dezod, and even went so far as to go to them directly for an install. He went above and beyond what the average joe would do for his turbo kit to be installed and ran safely, and got screwed.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dunno if there is a way to cancel your engine.. cuz thers a ppc selling a 2AZ im sure it would be cheaper..
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by djafropiq
i dunno if there is a way to cancel your engine.. cuz thers a ppc selling a 2AZ im sure it would be cheaper..
They are already ripping it out and getting it ready =/

To many of the posts above-I dont do anything unless its done right, hence my tuned NA setup and it is the reason I went with dezod. I wanted everything to go right - yet it didn't...
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

I think the thing that caused it all was that he downshifted. When you downshift, the RPM's go up, and then BOOM! That's the issue. I still wouldn't have driven had it not been installed correctly though... But I'm not in the situation and I wouldn't know.

As far as companies messing up, stop comparing it to ZPI people! This happend in Drax's post about P-Tuning. Dezod nor P-Tuning has taken anyone's money or anything. So this isn't even close....
Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

speculating on what caused it is pointless. it could have been something as simple as a messed up spark plug, to a clogged fuel filter or as complicated as engine management going awol.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think walmart is alot like ZPI. I bought a pair of jeans there one time and there was a hole in the pant leg....

One mistake (if it was a mistake on Dezods) does not make them like ZPI. We havent even heard Dezods side of it yet. Just like Draxis story, there are two sides. Not saying the OP is wrong tho. And i deffinetly think that Dezod should atleast do the install for free of the new engine. But they shouldnt have to pay for the engine. There is zero warranty on the engine when their parts are installed. That is understood at time of purchase.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Meant that I upshifted, from 3rd to 4th...not the other way around
Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC

But they shouldnt have to pay for the engine. There is zero warranty on the engine when their parts are installed. That is understood at time of purchase.

Hello everyone, i'm a friend of pauls, I have already checked with my attorney, and dezod since they did the install is 100% percent liable, if he would of shipped it anywhere else and paul or whoever would of installed it dezod would not be at fault, but since they did do the install, they are 100% Liable!

And as far as the motor blowing....You do not under any circumstance take a tune off another TC and think there car will be ok to drive back home, Everyone know's that each car is different as far as the computer goes(aka joe should have known better since he is the EXPERT/Manufacture of the kit!)

The guy didn't even throw on a dyno to properly tune the car, and he didn't hook up the A/f gauge to see if the car was leaning out,

NOT A COMPANY I WOULD WANT TO DEAL WITH FROM NOW ON!!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by SLIVER007

But they shouldnt have to pay for the engine. There is zero warranty on the engine when their parts are installed. That is understood at time of purchase.

Hello everyone, i'm a friend of pauls, I have already checked with my attorney, and dezod since they did the install is 100% percent liable, if he would of shipped it anywhere else and paul or whoever would of installed it dezod would not be at fault, but since they did do the install, they are 100% Liable!

And as far as the motor blowing....You do not under any circumstance take a tune off another TC and think there car will be ok to drive back home, Everyone know's that each car is different as far as the computer goes(aka joe should have known better since he is the EXPERT/Manufacture of the kit!)

The guy didn't even throw on a dyno to properly tune the car, and he didn't hook up the A/f gauge to see if the car was leaning out,

NOT A COMPANY I WOULD WANT TO DEAL WITH!!!!
oh slam....jason putting down the smackdown!!! lol
Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SLIVER007

You cant make a blanket statement, and no attorney ever would. You have to be able to prove the underlying problem. Now if dezod took a rock and put it in the oil, yes they are liable.
But all cars respond differently to boost. MAFs fail, o2 sensors fail, emanges fail. This is all a risk of having a turbo installed. It is not Dezods fault if any of this happens. And a lawyer/attorney needs to see the facts before they can put blame 100% on anyone.
Before any blame can go anywhere, it needs to be determined what caused catsrophic failure of the bottom end.

So to the OP, was blame discovered? what caused it? Is it even known?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Dude, he spent almost 10k for a non functioning car. Even drove to another state for install.
Ok but he's still only out the cost of the motor and install of the motor. His turbo kit and gauges still work and he didn't pay to get it tuned so he's out the cost of the motor and the install of it. Now if the motor somehow took out the turbo and gauges then he'd be out 10K.

Oh wait, he would be out the cost of the plane ticket and any extra hotel costs. But when you drop $10K $250 don't seem to be that much. Believe me I know.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

What are you doing with your old motor? PM me if there's no holes in it and you want to sell it to make some extra money.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are you doing with your old motor? PM me if there's no holes in it and you want to sell it to make some extra money.
Do you collect motors or something paul!?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Do you collect motors or something paul!?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am slightly frustrated with this post Paul...

I will agree that I installed and sold the kit. I've turbo'd about 10 tCs now, and about 5 Civic kits. I've tuned numerous cars without any issues and know what I am doing with the EMS systems.

I installed the kit. There were fitment problems with the downpipe (which I told him that I'd replace free of charge!), and there was a slight exhaust like with the car cas a result. A small leak cannot cause an engine to blow, so we proceeded with the install. Once things finished up towards the end of the night, we decided to take it for a drive. I flashed the Greddy eManage with the tune that was on my tC, and Jake's tC here for over 2 years now. The tune is a great base tune and runs rich with about 4 degrees of timing pulled. Keep in mind out kit, Greddy's, Turbonetics, etc ALL ship with a pre-tune. It is a safe tune proven to work on the car their for without risking total failure.

So we flashed the ECU. I installed the Dezod Black box for partial throttle fuel trims. We took the car on the road. With no gauges Paul (the owner of the car) immediately floored it in second gear and took it to about 6k. I told him to back off on the throttle. We had no gauges working as of yet, and were planning on doing them in the morning. So he starts driving and everything is fine. We then switched and I drove the car myself. I know what to listen for and I took it down the road, with partial throttle boost and had no sound of detonation, pinging, etc.

So we head back and I hop out of the car. The data logging on the eManage looked good so I told him to just cruise for the night and we'd finish the gauge and bolt stuff in the morning. I got a call early Saturday morning saying the car sprayed oil and wouldn't turn over. This is while he was in traffic on a busy road (what I was told).

A non turbo automatic tC was passing him (out accelerating), so I know he wasn't on it much when this happend. Once I got the call early in the morning I washed up and drove over there right away. I took the car apart on the side of the road for him, and we determined where the problem was. I PAID to have the car towed back to my place. I then proceeded to remove all of the turbo stuff and put it back to stock to have a dealer take a look at it. I know all of the guys at the dealer down the street and they told me they'd look at it for me. I then PAID AGAIN to have the car towed to the dealer. The dealer put the wrong phone on the invoice (by one digit) so I didn't hear back for a few days. I then drove there myself, updated my phone, and provided Paul's information as well so we could move this as quickly as possible.

They told that they would not repair the engine under warranty and gave us estimates. It was Paul's decision to then leave the car at the dealer until further notice.

I've answered or return every call from Paul since (including multiple calls on the weekends, morning and night). I've done everything I can so far to help and was told he knew of mechanics that would have the engine switched out.

He asked of we could sell turbo kit used so he can get money to put the car back to stock, and then sell his car to get something else. I agreed to that as an option but we didn't decide on it. He then said he wanted to build the car, and I told him he'd get the parts at cost because I'm not looking to make money off of him.

I've been very helpful to Paul and fully stand behind the stuff that we do. We can't say for sure what caused the engine to blow but I am working with him to get this resolved. I spoke to Paul just yesterday, and everything was fine. We have a game plan on what we were doing and were both in agreement with everything. I told him to keep me updated as to what was going on and we'd go from there. He didn't call me once today and then made this post.

I feel that I have been doing what I can to help him out with this situation. I take every call and he has not once said to me that I am to pay for everything. I can say that this issue will be resolved in a professional matter. I told him that I'd re-install everything for free as well, as I've done this numerous times without a single mis-hap.

Sometimes things happen, and I am doing what I can to help out the customer. We at Dezod have NEVER abandoned a customer, and will not start now.

Paul - I await a call from you so we can discuss this further. As far as I knew we had this pretty much figured out as of yesterday.

-Joe
Old 02-14-2008, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great post Joe. Thank you for addressing the situation.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

To all the nay sayers, there you go. The other side of the story. Like I said earlier, everyside has a story. And unless Paul disputes what Joe just said, I would said Joe is doing all he can to help out.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We all know there's different sides to everything. I will admit Paul has been great about all of this and we are working on this situation. This post was unexpected which is the only thing that upset me thus far.

Other than that, Paul (owner of the car) is a really stand-up guy and has been very mature about the situation. I would like this issue resolved as much as he does.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

well i will apologize for anything i may have said...but on that subject...the whole story was not told here. details were left out. ic an understand why joe_dezod would be angry. it sounds like dezod is doing everything right.

Quick Reply: 3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later