Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I am starting to wonder if the RS2's have issues all together...
Old 02-15-2008, 07:24 AM

[quote="Simplyscion"]
Originally Posted by Moveover
Originally Posted by anurok
Originally Posted by Simplyscion
Agreed. I do not know anything about the whole ZPI situation that went down
im new to the whole turbo scion thing, but noone here has ZPI parts i hope
u misquoted me, that was anurok's statement about not knowing anything about zpi....I know everything about the whole zpi situation and then some...hell,I gave them such hell over the past 3 years on these boards that Im sure me, Munch and a few other OG members on this board were the topic of conversation at that ZPI shop more than Kenny could count with his elementary level brain.
ZPI probly has a vodoo doll with my name on it lol
I tried warning people from day one about zpi and whats funny is half the truth hasnt even been released about how bad of scammers they were. Between me, and a few other notable members on this board, Im sure we could write a novel about all the things thats werent even released to the public. Regarldess, it has nothing to do with the situation at hand and we can all be so thankfull that we have Dezod having our back when things like this happen. We all know the risks of putting a turbo kit on a vehicle. It is the innevitable that things will go wrong down the road and it is something you just hafta be prepared to deal with.
To the OP, I feel that you are in good hands with Joe at Dezod West
you have no idea, im from louisville. we gave him so much ____, he would have to move to zimbabwe before someone wouldnt know who he was and what ____ he produced. Kenny is ____ and is ____in horrible at tuning and building cars. he blew up more cars than i care to count. including my poor buddy jasons integra which kenny dyno tuned with a 14:1 air fuel ratio
Old 02-15-2008, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Originally Posted by SePaTc
haha, kindof contradicts the point of buying an affordably priced new car... doesn't it??

.02: go buy a used 93-99 civic and turbo a gsr/ls-vtec motor. it will probably be faster, and if it blows up again....at least you didnt spend too much $$$ on it.

sucks that your $17,000 investment went down the drain.
God you are possibly the stupidest person on SL. What is your deal?

I've seen stupider people, but who's counting...
Old 02-15-2008, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
Originally Posted by SePaTc
its just funny because i was basically the original person (and one of the first thousand tc owners) to say beware of boosting the tc........
But you have only been around since May 19, 2007? On this forum? How is that possible? Go away Forpinks....

That's what I was going to comment on. I have been around since before there was a turbo kit for the tC's, and I sure as heck don't remember you being around then.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Soulquarian
It's almost like ZPI all over again.

(looks at tC and prays ZPI kit doesn't blow up spontaneously)

Well, the original poster can be glad he didn't have a ZPI kit do this to your car. Otherwise you would have vultures all over it taking a dump in your thread. Funny after reading so many pages how the comments would be DRASTICALLY different had this been a guy who had a kit from the former ZPI.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

[quote="Moveover"]
Originally Posted by anurok
Agreed. I do not know anything about the whole ZPI situation that went down
im new to the whole turbo scion thing, but noone here has ZPI parts i hope
u misquoted me, that was anurok's statement about not knowing anything about zpi....I know everything about the whole zpi situation and then some...hell,I gave them such hell over the past 3 years on these boards that Im sure me, Munch and a few other OG members on this board were the topic of conversation at that ZPI shop more than Kenny could count with his elementary level brain.
ZPI probly has a vodoo doll with my name on it lol
I tried warning people from day one about zpi and whats funny is half the truth hasnt even been released about how bad of scammers they were. Between me, and a few other notable members on this board, Im sure we could write a novel about all the things thats werent even released to the public. Regarldess, it has nothing to do with the situation at hand and we can all be so thankfull that we have Dezod having our back when things like this happen. We all know the risks of putting a turbo kit on a vehicle. It is the innevitable that things will go wrong down the road and it is something you just hafta be prepared to deal with.
To the OP, I feel that you are in good hands with Joe at Dezod West
you have no idea, im from louisville. we gave him so much poop, he would have to move to zimbabwe before someone wouldnt know who he was and what poop he produced. Kenny is poop and is flippin' horrible at tuning and building cars. he blew up more cars than i care to count. including my poor buddy jasons integra which kenny dyno tuned with a 14:1 air fuel ratio

Coming from the guy who thinks Kenny recently just got released from jail for Drug dealing.....

all of their shop cars are flippin' slow. zpi is junk if you woulda hung around louisville and went by some other shops and see what they thought about zpi, you prolly woulda left town before you even got near zpi. but congrats for buyin a turbo kit from a recently released drug dealer
Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's way too pages to see if this has already been mentioned.
Did you happen to notice the boost gauge during the run to 4k rpm?
Is it possible the WG was faulty and you boosted too high for the engine?

I'm running 12 psi consistently and 14 psi at the track and when i feel the urge. I have not had any problems but, if you got a boost spike around 18+psi then I could see the rod going south.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

So, they don't know if the engine was faulty or the turbo kit/install/tune caused it....

Well, how did the car drive BEFORE putting the kit on? You had bolt-ons before right, so I assume you have been that way for a number of years.

You changed one variable and that was un-bolt the bolt-ons and installed the kit......and.....Kaboom.

Not a hard one to figure out people, but yall are so nuthugger friendly, the only explanation would be "it's a faulty engine"....Wow, I love the Double Standard that is ScionLife...
Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

Well, the original poster can be glad he didn't have a ZPI kit do this to your car. Otherwise you would have vultures all over it taking a dump in your thread. Funny after reading so many pages how the comments would be DRASTICALLY different had this been a guy who had a kit from the former ZPI.
This is true, and we ALL know it is.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my geuss would be mabey an oil line was blocked, or something like a bad leek caused a major drop in oil psi. that looks like alot of damage. i dont think it had anythig to do with a tune.

...on a side note, travis has a point. if this were kenny and zpi. almost everyone (myself included) would be flipping out. but i have a feeling that dezod will make thing right.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right...I think the thing is...we have ALL seen pics of blown engines before, and I have NEVER seen one this bad.
What I'm saying is that no matter WHAT turbo he put on, and WHO tuned it, his motor was gonna blow cause there were some weaknesses in it to begin that were not stressed out by the bolt ons, but were stressed beyond their abilities with the turbo.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Right...I think the thing is...we have ALL seen pics of blown engines before, and I have NEVER seen one this bad.
What I'm saying is that no matter WHAT turbo he put on, and WHO tuned it, his motor was gonna blow cause there were some weaknesses in it to begin that were not stressed out by the bolt ons, but were stressed beyond their abilities with the turbo.
The weakness is the fact that these engines can only hold a certain amount of pressure or temps before they fail. Sensors, rubber hoses, plastic pieces, certain internals wear out. High temp metal (forged) has more tolerence than anything so what ever happened was the result of something way out of the tolerences of what the motor can handle. This is an economy car... bottom line. Hate to say it, but build these motors(better rods pistons) and if you want more power, sleeve the block so the cylinders don't walk on you if your shooting for more psi. At 350hp your running around almost 90hp (87.5) per cylinder. Thats a lot for a 4 cylinder to handle daily. I feel you bro and it sucks believe me. You gotta pay to play.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nu_ERA
The weakness is the fact that these engines can only hold a certain amount of pressure or temps before they fail. Sensors, rubber hoses, plastic pieces, certain internals wear out. High temp metal (forged) has more tolerence than anything so what ever happened was the result of something way out of the tolerences of what the motor can handle. This is an economy car... bottom line. Hate to say it, but build these motors(better rods pistons) and if you want more power, sleeve the block so the cylinders don't walk on you if your shooting for more psi. At 350hp your running around almost 90hp (87.5) per cylinder. Thats a lot for a 4 cylinder to handle daily. I feel you bro and it sucks believe me. You gotta pay to play.
where the hell have you been?? whats up with your project?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
Originally Posted by Nu_ERA
where the hell have you been?? whats up with your project?
tC has been sittin over a month. I am waiting for an opportunity to be able to get a good tuner which is hard to find and other small things (cooling fans are not very efficient out here around summer). I plan on putting the finishing touches which has been a long time coming but frankly the project took a huge toll on me and I've been enjoying the Supra I hate to throw in the towel so I'll hit it hard as soon as I have the opportunity (cough* money cough*) Also the car pulled insanely hard and spun like crazy. I hit that point where I went overboard (dyno queen) and want to make it a 400hp streetable car. So here I am..... waiting to give it another shot.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, that totally sucks. If that happened to me, I wouldn't know where to start. I wish you luck man. (It's the real 20tCDude05 here)
Old 02-16-2008, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yes, the dezod family are standup guys that are so involved in our community and its kind of obvious that they strive to continue to be the leaders in developing parts for the tC at exceptionally reasonalbe prices. They are always looking to help anyway possible. They are a completely sincere group of guys and to compare them to a company like ZPI is just ludacris and completely ignorant and so far from the truth. Lemme tell you something about Dezod...when I got into my car accident and totalled out my s/c tC more than a year ago, Paul out of nowhere sent me a get well card to my house. Name one company as rocking and busy as them that will go out of there way to do such a thing for their customers. You all should be ashamed of yourselfs for even remotely trying to place dezod on any level near the lowlife Kenny Strickler and his group of loyal con artists that used to go by the name of ZPI. Im disgusted by some of the things that I am reading in this thread. Joe thank you for your side of the story as it makes all the sense in the world. Keep up the good work Dezod. Ya know, its funny, all these people comparing dezod to zpi havent evne dealt with dezod in the past

Well said!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Maybe if ZPI didn't have a rep for doing things like this and F-ing people over then people wouldn't jump all over the situation saying how bad they are/were. I see we are still giving them nuts a little hug.j/k I had to say it.lol
Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not a hard one to figure out people, but yall are so nuthugger friendly, the only explanation would be "it's a faulty engine"....Wow, I love the Double Standard that is ScionLife...
You make it sound like all of SL is saying it's a faulty engine. If you want to know what I think (know offense OP) it was is that the OP drove it and probably got on it a little too much knowingly or not and BOOM. Remember he didn't have any gauges and could never really know what A/F ratio he was at or even if the car over boosted. Again no offense to the OP but I know what it's like to first drive a turbo and a lot of people are tempted.

With all that said I also know how it is for the motor to go BOOM on a dyno.

BTW, I spent my thousands of dollars to have the right to blame everything on ZPI so...
Old 02-16-2008, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

etsnet... I can gurantee you he didnt get it on too much and then it blew. I was driving next to him in my auto tC with a stock header and stock intake and stock exhaust and I was pulling ahead of him when it blew. So theres no way he got on it at all.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rythm you like to instigate things and stir things up dont you?

This whole thing has been settled and this is all getting taken care of. People get on ZPI's case because of how they treated their customers. People defend us because of how we handle our customers.

"Double standards" - As if we're the same as ZPI and should be compared to them equally when one has a problem? You've got to be joking me.

Let it go. We're not screwing over the customer, he's not mad at us, things are getting resolved. We don't abandon anything and it seems as though you want to stir things up with me and Paul, or Dezod as a whole from time to time just to nit pick. I know you aren't a fan of Dezod but the instigation does not have to exist.

Quick Reply: 3 Weeks, 2 Engines, 1 Dezod S1, and $10,000 later