Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

5spd Transmission leaking from top... ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 5spd Transmission leaking from top... ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)

Long story short.... TC sat in my driveway for 3yrs with no motor. I"ve been working on it here and there over the past couple months and got this baby back together and running. Ive been to the dyno 3 differnt times and each time i've had issues. First it was the Nology wires, then my ecu fried (had low inpedance injectors in instead of high impedace-- the guy i bought them from told me they were high impedance... my fault for not double checking), and the 3rd trip i had a fuel injector lock open on me. Soooooooo....... FINALLLY..... i got all fuel/ecu/plug wires fixed, and today was the first day I've actually drove the car on the street for more than 5 miles. This morning.. i had the stock injectors in the car, and just stayed out of boost. idles and drove fine as i expected it would. drove it probably 30 miles with no issues. Got home, threw the 630cc injectors in it, reinstalled the management, and started tuning. I had a previous map from my ex-wife's boosted TC, so I uploaded it and made some adjustments. After only about 10min, and a few tweeks, AF numbers are good on the wideband, and the car pulls like a rapped ape! I beat the ____ out of it for another 10min on the highway, and ended up stopping at a gas station to check for leaks and such. I was looking for oil, or coolant, but I ended up finding what i thought was CV boot grease. I drove it home easy and crawled under the car. CV boot wasn't ripped or torn. Turns out then the fluid is transmission fluid (i mixed my trans fluid with some redline shookproof so it wasn't the normal color of trans fluid). I couldn't pin point the source of the leak for the life of me under the car. I later discover that on the top of the transmission is a puddle of fluid. So... if the leak was under the car, its impossible for fluid to puddle up in the location i found it. There is a small.. what looks to be a vent or blow by valve. I'm not sure what it is or its function. **this is my reason for this thread... can someone tell me what this is?? I have it circled in the first pic. My initial thought was... the only way it would 'blow' out of this port is if there is to much fluid in the transmission. I busted out the Haynes book and looked up how to check the level. Basically... pull the fill plug and the fluid should be right there. If its not, add fluid. So i pull the plug, and sh*t comes spewing out... i swear a 1/4-1/2 qt must have came out!! I'm assuming this was the caus of the fluid leaking from the port, dripping down on the CV boot and splattering everywhere. It has to be, right? there are no leaks under the car at all.

So.. can someone tell me what that port/valve is and its function?
I would go drive the car, but its 11pm here and my neighbors hate my 4" open downpipe..lol. Its loud as all get out driving thru the neighborhood. So tomorrow... i'm going to clean up all the fluid and go beat the ____ out of this baby again, and see if more fluid puddles up in the same place.

NOW... for the turbo kit. Its all custom, one off everything. I made the decision of the Garrett GT4294 bc I had a built motor at the time. Long story short.. i had to sell it, and i just threw a stock motor in the car so i could drive it. I didn't really bother selling the kit as the turbo alone cost me $1885 and no one in the scion community would be willing to pay what i wanted out of it. But i have future plans for 850whp so you'll probably see a build thread in the near future ;)

Garrett GT4294r Turbo
4" Down Pipe
Custom TT twin scroll exh. manifold w/ T4 flange
Dual Tial 44mm Wastegates
Tial 50mm Bov
3" intercooler pipes
Garrett FMIC
630cc injectors (for now)
Greddy Emanage
Blitz turbo timer
Blitz Electronic Boost Controller
Custom Sheet Metal Instake Manifold (only 2 made)
All Fitings have been converted to -AN
All hoses have been replaced with braided hoses
Sheet Metal Catch Can
MAF converted to blow-thru
Nitrous intercooler sprayer system

Autometer Gauges:

Boost
Oil Press
Nitrous
Water Temp
EGT
Oil Temp
Fuel Press
Volts
5" Tach w/ recall
3" Speedo
2 5/8" Fuel level

AEM Gauges:

Wideband
Attached Thumbnails 5spd Transmission leaking from top...  ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)-paint.jpg   5spd Transmission leaking from top...  ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)-photo-2.jpg   5spd Transmission leaking from top...  ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)-photo-3.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbo Pics....
Attached Thumbnails 5spd Transmission leaking from top...  ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)-photo-1.jpg   5spd Transmission leaking from top...  ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)-photo-2.jpg   5spd Transmission leaking from top...  ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)-photo-4.jpg   5spd Transmission leaking from top...  ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)-baller.jpg   5spd Transmission leaking from top...  ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)-nos-girl.jpg  

Old 10-15-2010, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The name of the bobble head as we like to call it here, is where it would definitely leak out of, if there is to much fluid in the trans. You way Over filled it from the sounds of it. You are suppose to leave the filler plug out while filling the trans. Once you see fluid starting to leak out of the filler hole, you got enough fluid. Usually takes about 2 1/2 bottles to fill up the trans.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Engine Bay:

Engine Bay 2:

Catch Can:

Nitrous:

Turbo/Manifold:
Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Travis!! I figured thats what it was when i saw where the fluid was coming from. I filled the trans like 2 months ago, and obviously put way to much fluid in it. Its at the correct level now, so i'll take it out for a spin tomorrow and see if all is good!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

turbo setup looks really nice
Old 10-15-2010, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn i have never seen this Tc before, like what you did with the kaminari kit and that has got to be one of the largest turbos on a street tc but than again i dont know much!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well looks like you already have it figured out since you found you overfilled the tranny. But like you said all that thing is is a vent for the tranny. Just like the crankcase on an engine. The tranny needs one too to give any pressure build up a place to exit. This is one thing off road vehicles modify to drive in deep waters. They raise the vent high enough to still be able to vent properly.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
damn i have never seen this Tc before, like what you did with the kaminari kit and that has got to be one of the largest turbos on a street tc but than again i dont know much!
Are you sure. He had a post a long time ago with a video when he considered parting it all out. The car, engine, and turbo kit. He says he was gonna make it faster than what kenny tran did with the tc on the 2AZ. I still rember it cause he's who i got my head studs from for my build wich by the way are holding up good so far.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

than im surprised i missed it because im on the site everyday :/! SEXY though!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

travis is right on the money!
love the kit and the catch can. damn those vacuum lines look good. nice manifold!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool man. i remember way back when this project first started. glad to see that nothing got sold, and that the project is back in action again. lots of firepower under that hood. cant wait to see where this project goes.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazylowgsx
Thanks Travis!! I figured thats what it was when i saw where the fluid was coming from. I filled the trans like 2 months ago, and obviously put way to much fluid in it. Its at the correct level now, so i'll take it out for a spin tomorrow and see if all is good!

No problem. Turbo setup looks good. Massive turbo. Describe it's spooling characteristics. Any dyno sheets yet? Curious to see where your powerband is.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazylowgsx
Engine Bay:

Engine Bay 2:

Catch Can:

Nitrous:

Turbo/Manifold:

? Where there pics here ?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

There they are...lol. Looking good.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the feedback on the trans issue and the turbo kit. I started this project way back when... I'm talking.. I was buying ____ from Kenny @ ZPI bc no one else was making stuff for the TC... that's how old this project was.

I actually sold everything I had except the car and turbo kit. I just couldn't bare to sell the car, so I decided to put it together.

The power band in this baby seemed kinda sluggish on the dyno... which.... obviously it would be since it's a 42r. but last night on the street.. this thing is crazy! it'll nail 9psi at 3k and spin the tires. I've boosted 4 tc's to date... none of which had a turbo this size, but I'm actually really impressed with how it spools and feels. As far as a dyno sheet... I have yet to have a good dyno session. fail fail fail lol. however... there is a dyno video on my facebook (uRL is in my sig). In the vid, the car was only revving to 5k, and boost was set to 7psi.

Kenny Tran... oh that guy lol. I got to meet him 2 weeks ago at the IFO show here in Tulsa. very cool dude. I remember when he built the nitro TC.. 739whp. That was my goal to beat. Kina like motivation to keep my ___ in gear when I didn't want to work on the car. I have no doubts that I would have smashed it... but as for now.. I'll roll with my low boost and enjoy driving my TC
Old 10-15-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh... and YoungFlyer... your the first person to notice (or say anything) about the kaminari bumper! I wanted to direct as much air to the FMIC as I could. and... it looks mean as ^%#£
Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are you revving to and when do you hit max boost?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

wow i didnt know you were still alive clay. did you ever sell your B?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is nice I would have went with a gt40r u can still make the 800+ hp and they have one that spools like crazy my buddy has a 40r on his sti and it's not laggy at all really and he's makeing like 750 on 27 psi I think on v16 but sick build for sure

Quick Reply: 5spd Transmission leaking from top... ALSO.. pics of 42r turbo set up :)