Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

87 users SPEAK UP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

WTF? It douple posted??? Oh well!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

if somebody uses 87 with f/i...good for them...and their mechanic...but i could care less because i know better

and for those using 91 and N/A...who cares?! it's not really hurting the car...just their wallet. It's not gonna really make a difference either way...no added performance or really gas mileage for that matter...just going to be more expensive
Old 09-15-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
if somebody uses 87 with f/i...good for them...and their mechanic...but i could care less because i know better

and for those using 91 and N/A...who cares?! it's not really hurting the car...just their wallet. It's not gonna really make a difference either way...no added performance or really gas mileage for that matter...just going to be more expensive
my bro realizes that, and usually he uses 89. my bad. but he also uses 91, because he loves his tC!!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

doesn't the higher octane not leave as much build up on valves and injectors?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah. higher grades r refined more.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so that would help keep your car running better longer?

may be worth the extra 10 cents...
Old 09-15-2007, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup, thats why me bro uses it.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott8
there is a place around here that has 102 octane.

I think it is like $5-6 a gallon
thats with leaded gasoline too
Old 09-15-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This should be locked right away before the "higher octane makes my n/a run better, and it's faster, and it gets better mileage, and it's my baby so I give it the best" gets carried away.

I'm trying to think of a good analogy, because 2/3rds of SL has no idea what octane is. Let's think of coffee. Caffeine and Octane are being compared here. First you have decaf (87), then regular columbian (89), and finally super-mega jolt caffeine explosion coffee (91/93).

Now lets think of your car's need for octane like person's need for staying awake. The first person slept for 8 hours and is wide awake. He only needs decaf (87) to stay awake. Next, you've got someone who only got 5 hours of sleep last night, and is groggy in the morning. He'll need the regular Columbian (89) to stay awake. Finally, there's a person who hasn't slept in 36 hours. He needs super-mega jolt caffeine explosion coffee (91/93) to stay awake.

If you give the first guy who only needed decaf (87) the mega caffeine coffee (91/93) he won't be any more awake. He's already as awake as he can get. This first guy is an N/A tC.

The second guy with regular coffee is an Acura TL or some other car that the manufacturer says should run midgrad or 89 octane.

The last guy is F/I, and needs 91/93 to work properly.

Finally......for those who say "premium is better, regardless of octane", the analogy works too. Is the mega-caffeine better tasting coffee, just because it has more caffeine? We don't know. It could taste just like the other two, but there is nothing about it that should make it taste better. Gas is the same. Higher Octane does not imply "better" refining, it only implies higher octane. GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKULL!!!

Mods, now lock this thread just like every other gas thread deserves to get locked.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 09-15-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

Shell's V-power 93 octane advertised that it contains more additive that prevents gunk build up and burns cleaner more than their own shell gasoline with lower octane (while they also claim it contains that additive but not as much).. I cant explain it very well but its like something like that. But with that i mentioned, quality (brand) of fuel comes into the arguement since there are bad quality fuel rated 93 octane and good quality fuel with 87 octane..
Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by monkeysauce
This should be locked right away before the "higher octane makes my n/a run better, and it's faster, and it gets better mileage, and it's my baby so I give it the best" gets carried away.

I'm trying to think of a good analogy, because 2/3rds of SL has no idea what octane is. Let's think of coffee. Caffeine and Octane are being compared here. First you have decaf (87), then regular columbian (89), and finally super-mega jolt caffeine explosion coffee (91/93).

Now lets think of your car's need for octane like person's need for staying awake. The first person slept for 8 hours and is wide awake. He only needs decaf (87) to stay awake. Next, you've got someone who only got 5 hours of sleep last night, and is groggy in the morning. He'll need the regular Columbian (89) to stay awake. Finally, there's a person who hasn't slept in 36 hours. He needs super-mega jolt caffeine explosion coffee (91/93) to stay awake.

If you give the first guy who only needed decaf (87) the mega caffeine coffee (91/93) he won't be any more awake. He's already as awake as he can get. This first guy is an N/A tC.

The second guy with regular coffee is an Acura TL or some other car that the manufacturer says should run midgrad or 89 octane.

The last guy is F/I, and needs 91/93 to work properly.

Finally......for those who say "premium is better, regardless of octane", the analogy works too. Is the mega-caffeine better tasting coffee, just because it has more caffeine? We don't know. It could taste just like the other two, but there is nothing about it that should make it taste better. Gas is the same. Higher Octane does not imply "better" refining, it only implies higher octane. GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKULL!!!

Mods, now lock this thread just like every other gas thread deserves to get locked.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:52 AM
SL Member

wonderful analogy
Old 09-16-2007, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I said I used 91 or higher on my 90 Corolla right?

That car can't run on 87 since it chugs and well, the previous owner uses 91. I didn't listen to him at first and used 87 and I thought my 4A-FE was broken after 80 miles on 87...

I had to go to my friend's house and checked the head for a broken valve and I thought my friend was joking when he told me that it is ported and has upgraded valves, springs and pistons, I checked and saw that the valves are actually painted black not bare aluminum and the head has slightly more area and is shiny, also the pistons look different from what I used to know since I was 17 when my friend and I opened up a 4A-FE (I don't know what I have, but they look like high comp forged pistons) This is probably the reason for the chug, my friend and I simply put in a bottle of NX octane booster and waited for 5 minutes till we started it, it chugged at first but after it warmed up, the weird sound was gone...

As for my other cars, I use Chevron 87 for the tC on city most of the time and 91 on hwy, and my 03 Corolla uses 89 city and 91+ hwy (The Corolla AE is strictly 91+ or I'll get possible engine damage)

I hope that explains why I keep using 91 on my AE Corolla
Old 09-16-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quote, Forpinks:
"And as for me getting 91 for the AE92, that car somehow acts so weird and "chuggy" when I used 87, the previous owner (74 yrs old) took care of the engine and car real well, the 4A-FE runs awesomely good and the car is in mint condition with only 130K miles on it and paint is almost new, he even told me never to use 87 on it! "

OOOOOH, so the 74 year old man had upgraded internals in his car and didn't know it, then you bought it and found out....NOW I understand...

Just stop man. Stop telling stories, stop telling us things that you think will impress us. We don't care, and we also don't believe anything you say. You have no credibility here, and you're generally an embarrassment to yourself. Do you even read what you write?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

octane rating have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with performance.

octane rating are a measurement of detonation resistance.

fuel and air enter a cylinder in your engine, are compressed by the piston and ignited by the spark plug.

gasoline will automatically self ignite when it is compressed to a certain point. there for the higher the compression ratio of an engine, the higher octane gas it will need. if you put low octane gas in a an engine designed to operate on high compression, the gas will ignite before it is supposed (pre-ignition) and detonate the engine.

it has absolutely nothing to do with performance, it simply has to do with how the engine was designed to operate.

example

corvette coupe makes 430 hp. requires 91 octane gas.
cadillac escalade has 403 hp, runs on 87 octane just fine.
scion tc, 160 hp, 87 octane

so there you have it, higher octane does not equal higher performance. it has nothing to do with refinment, leaving deposits in engines, burning better, lasting longer.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
Originally Posted by 05-RS1
was he an auto?
hey! so what if he was :?...lol
i geuss you missed the one where forpinks said that he beat a 350z because it was an auto.
oh guess i did. must've been one of his many threads started up..
Old 09-16-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by monkeysauce
Quote, Forpinks:
"And as for me getting 91 for the AE92, that car somehow acts so weird and "chuggy" when I used 87, the previous owner (74 yrs old) took care of the engine and car real well, the 4A-FE runs awesomely good and the car is in mint condition with only 130K miles on it and paint is almost new, he even told me never to use 87 on it! "

OOOOOH, so the 74 year old man had upgraded internals in his car and didn't know it, then you bought it and found out....NOW I understand...

Just stop man. Stop telling stories, stop telling us things that you think will impress us. We don't care, and we also don't believe anything you say. You have no credibility here, and you're generally an embarrassment to yourself. Do you even read what you write?
So you're saying that an old man can't mod? Well, that's like saying Caroll Shelby sucks...

Anyway, I bought that Corolla A/T from this old man for 3grand, (I know, it's overpriced) it had ground control coil-overs on KYB struts (It blew up after 300miles of me owning it) red ignition wires, 14" GT-S rims on with Yoko AVIDs, it never came with a spare tire, has a K&N oil filter, NGK iridiums, and custom SRI... (I can't believe it! Maybe he takes it to a tuner shop or maybe his son fixes it, I don't know.)

If you don't want to believe, go ahead! I'm pretty sure the internals are not OE from opening stock 4A-FEs since I was in senior high...

But, really! I am asking if someone here is using 87 on an S/C tC? And I know that 87 is for "slow cars" and 89 are for mostly V6s and 91+ are for high comp or F.I. cars!

Damn! I know!

I'll tell you this though, most Japanese and Euro cars only have 92+ octane on their pumps, and our engines are Japan designed so, more than likely, they are designed to work with 92octane or higher and the knock sensors are the only things that keep our engines from knocking using 87... (have you ever been to Japan??? I've never ever saw anything with an 8 at the first digit on the pump.)
Old 09-16-2007, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

hey brett..... hi
Old 09-16-2007, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
was he an auto?
hey! so what if he was :?...lol
i geuss you missed the one where forpinks said that he beat a 350z because it was an auto.

did the Z know they were racing?

Quick Reply: 87 users SPEAK UP!