Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

9psi pulley possibly blow motor????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 9psi pulley possibly blow motor????

Well I was told from a Tech at TRD in Cali. that the 9 psi pulley's that are out there have caused people to blow their motors. He has had a few encounters with this and he told me it was those individuals who had altered the Supercharger by swapping out the stock 7psi pulley with the 9psi pulley. This concerns me and it should concern all of you too that are running this setup.

I have a question for ZPI and NST. Have you guys (ZPI & NST) heard of these problems? How reliable are your pulley's? I just want to get as much info as possible on it, because frankly I dont want to swap my pulley back to stock, but until I do more research on these pulley's and the affects of extra boost on our vehicles, I have no other choice. I want to get some feedback from you guys and want to know what you think of this. The guy from TRD was Fred, and I was told this directly from him. So please, please help us on this and inform us of what we should be aware of and maybe the possibilites of what you may not 100% know about your pulleys and the extra boost. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Nope

That's silly man. The motor could be damaged if the car were running to high of HP numbers for the internals.... ummm nope thats not the case with the 9 psi pulley, or the car is running too lean..... well that's also not the case if you have the trd reflash done. I had all my 9psi air fule checked when I went in fo rmy dyno and both Chris my dyno guy... "a genious" and Kenny from ZPI agreed that my numbers were well, within the healthy range.. The issue is motors blow sometimes due to faulty anything... they have to prov eyour pulley caused it and with the research I've seen and the authorities in the field I have spoken to.. all agree that it is highly unlikley 2 psi will cause an engine to blow.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

9psi will not blow your motor, I'd be willing to be that you could run up to around 11psi before you need to start doing some work on the engine. You would probably need to worry about your intake manifold more than your engine internals.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="kytc"]9psi will not blow your motor, I'd be willing to be that you could run up to around 11psi before you need to start doing some work on the engine. You would probably need to worry about your intake manifold more than your engine internals.[/quote
Somebody must have just finished watching The Fast and the Furious. Where do you get that idea from?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright guys thanks. I just got worried you know? What am I suppose to think when TRD tells me this. I guess I'm just a nervous nelly! I wouldn't think 2 psi would make a difference, but I had to ask after hearing that. Thanks again.

More responses will be helpful from the rest of the community.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you are supposed to think TRD is mad at you for changing their product.

they are looking for any reason not to warranty the car...

honestly, if you put a diff. pulley on it and the motor blows. switch the pulley back before you have service done.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

For a 100% fact, the 9 psi pulley will trash your engine if you do not have the trd reflash. It is only a possibility it will survive without the flash with the trd sc installed.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

your talking 20 wheel horsepower fellas, do the math, you pick up that much power with a full exhaust. hardly enough power to blow an engine. if it all took was 190whp to blow one of these up, wed have been through enough engines to fund a small country.

There have also been 10-20 dyno charts posted and emailed to use that will show you overly safe A/F. I believe aggresive driving, misshifting, improper maintenance etc...are the only thing I would suggest is blowing engines...Rember more N/A engines have failed than forced induction thus far....
Old 02-08-2006, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tcboob, actually I'm looking at the ZPI turbo car that is running 11 psi perfectly fine and the fact that they ran a 120 shot of nitrous on their engine and the only thing that blew was their intake manifold so if you have any more "comebacks" let me know and I'll gladly put those down too
Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there's no way 2 or 2.5 psi increase will blow your motor. just like Joey_WRX said. "hardly enough power to blow an engine."
Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Correct
Old 02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, 9psi can blow your motor, 7psi can blow your motor. Any amount of boost can blow the motor if its driven hard constantly and not properly kept up. The long run is still unknown, but don't think the 2az is some one hit wonder when it comes to boost. Its the same as any n/a motor converted boost, if you don't keep up with it and drive it hard every where you go, as well as other things you will blow the motor or trans..Or both.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well yeah of course, it doesn't matter whether its factory boosted or not you still have to keep up with it and not drive it hard constantly
Old 02-08-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kytc
Well yeah of course, it doesn't matter whether its factory boosted or not you still have to keep up with it and not drive it hard constantly
boosted n/a motors run more of a risk of blowing than a factory boosted motor where the design of the motor surrounds boost.

The best way to avoid blowing or hurting the motor is full synthetic oils, and prep builds. No matter if you want to run a stock trd s/c with only 7psi, to ensure the motor to last prep builds are the way to go. Being its only 7psi, i/h/e, "stage 2" clutch, and a few other minor things will help solve the issue. Most people know this, but some don't. I'm posting it assuming original poster doesn't.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^Completely agree
Glad that's cleared up
Old 02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I dont think anyone is worried about over stressing the components due to the added power. But you need to make sure your tune is correct anytime you go above the level of boost you run currently. In this range of boost that would be my biggest worry.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct, according to sallad and highlandermac which have both had dynos done with the pulley and other things done their a/f ratios have been perfect, in sallads case I believe his was even better than before the pulley, he can correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-08-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I highly recommend a little reading assignment for some of you guys.

Maximum Boost
by Corky Bell

He explains in detail how doubling the output power with forced induction only results in 20% more load in the most critical part of the power stroke. This is not speculation, all the formulas, etc are explained in detail.

BAD tuning, over revving, poor maintenance, etc, kills far more FI engines than adding a reasonable amount of boost ever will.

Rick
Old 02-08-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the 2AZFE motor was designed to run the s/c strait from the factory...so its desigend to suppor f/i but thanks to all the emissions probelems we have over here it was opted for an dealer install option. So 9PSI i high doubt would blow the engine. It took ZPI ove 400whp and over 1x psi before ther enigne blew.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With engifineer and raam in here I'm going to take a step back and let the masters do the explaining

Quick Reply: 9psi pulley possibly blow motor????