Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

9psi pulley possibly blow motor????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ werd
Old 02-08-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just another enthusiast with barely enough knowledge to get by with some help from the "real" pros. What I have learned is that anything needed to be known for any endeavor has pretty much been figured out. All we have to do is find the "real" info, weed out the BS, and we can accomplish most anything relatively easily, if we are willing to put in the effort.

One more point, not one single person cares more about you or your car than you do, period. Even the coolest guys in the industry still have thier own best insterests at heart as they should if they want to survive in business. That is just the way things work in life and being in business I know I have to remind myself of that. I care about my fellow enthusiast/customers more than just about anyone I have ever met and it has paid off well over the years but it is not always easy to balance that out and make a profit. I only do what I do so I can live in the world of the automobile andget to know so many incredible people, I love what I do

Rick
Old 02-08-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
I only do what I do so I can live in the world of the automobile andget to know so many incredible people, I love what I do

Rick
Good man, Good man
Old 02-08-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by raamaudio
I'm just another enthusiast with barely enough knowledge to get by with some help from the "real" pros. What I have learned is that anything needed to be known for any endeavor has pretty much been figured out. All we have to do is find the "real" info, weed out the BS, and we can accomplish most anything relatively easily, if we are willing to put in the effort.

One more point, not one single person cares more about you or your car than you do, period. Even the coolest guys in the industry still have thier own best insterests at heart as they should if they want to survive in business. That is just the way things work in life and being in business I know I have to remind myself of that. I care about my fellow enthusiast/customers more than just about anyone I have ever met and it has paid off well over the years but it is not always easy to balance that out and make a profit. I only do what I do so I can live in the world of the automobile andget to know so many incredible people, I love what I do

Rick
Amen. I only know what I do by learning from people who do this full time (my father being one) and from applying engineering knowledge to practical issues to figure things out. I learn new things every day, especially on here from guys like raam who are also learning and sharing.

I also agree with the rest of his post. Always try to use what you know to figure out what sounds right. Never 100% trust someone trying to sell you something. And never base doing something risky to your motor off of someone else being successful or even a handful of people being successful. Remember.. that foam hit the leading edge of the orbitor hundreds of times before without causing an incident! But it was still bad news.

I think the ZPI and many other vendors have thier s#!t down.. but you should still always try to learn as much as you can when going down the road of modding to make sure you are making wise decisions.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteyd
Actually the 2AZFE motor was designed to run the s/c strait from the factory...so its desigend to suppor f/i but thanks to all the emissions probelems we have over here it was opted for an dealer install option. So 9PSI i high doubt would blow the engine. It took ZPI ove 400whp and over 1x psi before ther enigne blew.
The 2az wasn't designed for f/i, its a n/a motor thats underpowered, large displacement with a pre-existing low compression. Just because TRD offers a s/c you can buy from the dealership, in no way should suggest the 2az was build, and designed strictly upon f/i. If they had a 2az that came with boost stock, that would be a different story because there would be slight differences between the f/i version and the n/a version of the 2az. Yes, it can handle boost well i'm not denying that. However, that doesn't mean it was designed for it.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^werd engifineer. Do your research guys and you wont be dissappointed
Old 02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well no one can really say the tC's 2az was not built for FI. Since the tC's 2az actually has different internals then the Camry and other 2az's one can only wonder what this difference was for. Also Toyota speculated about the TRD SC since before the car actually came out. It could very well be possible that the engine internals were beefed up a little. No one will really know until either Toyota tells us or someone does some direct comparisons of the Camry 2az and the tC 2az.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ If the 2az was built and made to be evolved around boost, Toyota would have either a s/c'd tC from the factory as a trim level, or have it stock on the tC without a trim level. Now, some may argue that pure pricing and buyers choice would disagree with what i'm saying..Which, is partly truth. However, I know that a company wouldn't invest in a car and a motor, developing "ideal" intervals and so on without going all the way. It would be pointless.

They tested out a newer/slightly different 2az on the tC and 07' camry 2az's will have almost identical set ups. But that doesn't qualify with, "the motor is made for boost" based on the fact TRD released a s/c for it. TRD also wanted to release a s/c for the previous camry's before the last remodel i remember reading but decided against it due to they didn't believe it would sell. This is prior to even Scion as a thought. Once the tC came out, they said hey! Its our only coupe, its slightly redesign the 2az motor to develope a little more power to make up for the large displacement, and see what happens. Maybe would could develope some more trd stuff for this car? *Sales going great on tC* Hey! This is selling, lets try to persue this s/c idea and see what happens. What do you know, it sells.

In my opinion, this is what happend given the information i've gathered. The motor wasn't specifically designed for boost, but was redesigned to handle and be more mod friendly compared to the camry 2az. Why? Its a coupe and they knew kids would buy it and start moding. However, this doesn't mean the 2az is a pure performance motor (it clearly isn't, and never will be from the factory) nor does this mean it was built for boost.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well thanks everyone for the feedback. i'm not really worried about it to tell you the truth but i thought i would let everyone know what TRD told me. Happy boosting everyone!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The engine may have not been made specifically for boost but all Toyota engines have been overbuilt and all of them can withstand good boost.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
The engine may have not been made specifically for boost but all Toyota engines have been overbuilt and all of them can withstand good boost.
Except the 1nz. Nothing has been overbuilt on the 1nz, its a better n/a motor than f/i if you want it to last imo. Its crap for boost. Toyota's 1nz is like Honda's D15.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
Except the 1nz. Nothing has been overbuilt on the 1nz, its a better n/a motor than f/i if you want it to last imo. Its crap for boost. Toyota's 1nz is like Honda's D15.
Where did you get that info? I ask because I'm considering getting a Yaris next month, and I think it uses the same engine.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nodsetse
Originally Posted by killerxromances
Where did you get that info? I ask because I'm considering getting a Yaris next month, and I think it uses the same engine.
I own an xb. I have experience with the 1nz. Its not a bad motor, don't get me wrong. It belongs on light weight cars, xb, xa and yaris are perfect. But for boost applications, there are complications we have yet to see answers to with the crappy 64bit ecu we have. N/a is the way to go. 120whp is all you need for the yaris to be a very quick daily.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kytc, if you could find what type of N20 system they are or were running I could probably tell you why their intake manifold failed. I did a light search but nothing with usable results came up and they don't go into detail on their website from what I could find.
And you gotta learn how to take a joke.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it was nx but I'm not sure. Joey could tell you or anyone from there, they ran it on Keisha's car when she first got it I think. Sorry about going off on you but I just get upset when I see people contributing info to people on this site and they get nothing but remarks about it. Some of us may not be as knowledgeable as raam or ZPI or whatever but it doesn't mean we don't know what we're talking about.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok well where I was trying to go with it was depending on the system either when they modified the stock manifold to hook up the N20 they weakend it or the coldness of the N20 caused it to weaken. I think our manifold is made from glass reinforced plastic but I'm not sure. Those were just my thoughts on what might have caused a failure.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joey_WRX
Rember more N/A engines have failed than forced induction thus far....
becuz the n/a out number the f/i heavily
Old 02-09-2006, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're right about the intake manifold material but I don't know about why it failed, you might pm them and see what the problem was
Old 02-09-2006, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

would it b safe to do a 2nd reflash after the 9psi pulley install?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't need it because with the new pulley the a/f ratios are perfect. I asked about this too when I got my s/c put on and they said it wouldn't really help. Now if you put an emanage or something on after the pulley you might squeak a little bit more out but not much until you put something like an intake on it or bump up the boost some more. However, if you did something like tweaked the timing some or whatever with the emanage it would probably be beneficial however you won't get the a/f ratios any better than they are with the 9 psi pulley and the s/c with a reflash.

Quick Reply: 9psi pulley possibly blow motor????