Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ABOUT TO ORDER A TURBO KIT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

stick with what you have for now...make sure you get a wideband, boost gauge, and oil pressure. Definitely change your clutch out and do the flywheel while your at it. Dont plan on building the block up till down the road, you will be verry happy at 8 psi for the time being. Dont get a boost controller yet so this way you dont end up turning the boost up and potentially doing damage. Get a turbo timer, or if you have a remote start on your car most of them have a built in turbo timer. Make sure you have a lot of money on the side as theres a lot of underlying costs when boosting the car
Old 06-21-2007, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
Make sure you have a lot of money on the side as theres a lot of underlying costs when boosting the car
SOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stick with what you have for now...make sure you get a wideband, boost gauge, and oil pressure. Definitely change your clutch out and do the flywheel while your at it. Dont plan on building the block up till down the road, you will be verry happy at 8 psi for the time being. Dont get a boost controller yet so this way you dont end up turning the boost up and potentially doing damage. Get a turbo timer, or if you have a remote start on your car most of them have a built in turbo timer. Make sure you have a lot of money on the side as theres a lot of underlying costs when boosting the car
I don`t have that much money on the side tho. I have a full time working 90 hrs a check, so I`m good.

Don`t flywheels change your launch a lot and lose better pull since it`s lighter??? Seems like there`s more cons for it. Could anyone tell me the pros and cons for it? I`ve searched and didn`t find much.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
Make sure you have a lot of money on the side as theres a lot of underlying costs when boosting the car
SOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!
What`s the underlying costs?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

expect to spend at least $1500-$3000 extra on gauges tuning, potential problems, tools, oil, etc....it seems like you don't know too much on what goes into makeing a successful turbo, esp thinking that 8 psi will yield 325 whp.....my reccomendation, learn one thing about the turbo a day, and understand what the wastegate springs are for...injectors, intercooler, clutches......if you go in to quickly w/o knowing about the whole system and the accessories, it will cost you so much more to make up for your lack of knowledge....
Old 06-21-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
expect to spend at least $1500-$3000 extra on gauges tuning, potential problems, tools, oil, etc....it seems like you don't know too much on what goes into makeing a successful turbo, esp thinking that 8 psi will yield 325 whp.....my reccomendation, learn one thing about the turbo a day, and understand what the wastegate springs are for...injectors, intercooler, clutches......if you go in to quickly w/o knowing about the whole system and the accessories, it will cost you so much more to make up for your lack of knowledge....
I got a friend with a 750WHP Prelude, he`ll teach me. Plus, I`m planning on buying a big ___ guide all about turboing and whatnot.

Mount: $50
Defi Boost Gauge: $170
Defi Pressure Gauge: $150 I think
AEM Wideband: $250-$300
Timer: $100-$200
Flywheel??? $325

Not too bad. What else?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there are more pluses to a light weight flywheel than cons dude. faster rpm changes mean less time wasted spooling and more time boosting. the only disadvantage is that your car won't launch as hard because the lowered weight means less momentum transfered to the tires. but since your going to hit boost, it more than makes up for it. besides, the flywheel makes sense because your already replacing the clutch, and the flywheel is right there next to it! just do it while your there.

next month i plan on doing a clutch, flywheel and lsd install since they are all in the same area. it will be a great improvement on the car.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
there are more pluses to a light weight flywheel than cons dude. faster rpm changes mean less time wasted spooling and more time boosting. the only disadvantage is that your car won't launch as hard because the lowered weight means less momentum transfered to the tires. but since your going to hit boost, it more than makes up for it. besides, the flywheel makes sense because your already replacing the clutch, and the flywheel is right there next to it! just do it while your there.

next month i plan on doing a clutch, flywheel and lsd install since they are all in the same area. it will be a great improvement on the car.
Hmm, true. What's an LSD? How much are they?

And is the AEM Tru Boost a Boost gauge and a boost controller in 1?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lsd is short for a limited slip differential. it helps split power evenly between the two front tires. it helps eliminate torque steer and get both tires to hook up better when launching the car. they cost around $1199 for a trd lsd from trdsparks.com or mcgeorgeparts.com.

p-tuning told me that they charge $750 to install a clutch and flywheel on a tc, and installing the lsd is just another $250 while they are doing it. it is a very good investment for boosted tc's.

the aem tru-boost is a boost controller/gauge. it works like an ordinary boost gauge in the car, but there are two buttons for increasing and decreasing the boost of your car. it is more expensive to buy and install than a regular boost gauge, but it sounds kinda convienent to be able to have push button boost control inside the car instead of going under the hood.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lsd is short for a limited slip differential. it helps split power evenly between the two front tires. it helps eliminate torque steer and get both tires to hook up better when launching the car. they cost around $1199 for a trd lsd from trdsparks.com or mcgeorgeparts.com.

p-tuning told me that they charge $750 to install a clutch and flywheel on a tc, and installing the lsd is just another $250 while they are doing it. it is a very good investment for boosted tc's.

the aem tru-boost is a boost controller/gauge. it works like an ordinary boost gauge in the car, but there are two buttons for increasing and decreasing the boost of your car. it is more expensive to buy and install than a regular boost gauge, but it sounds kinda convienent to be able to have push button boost control inside the car instead of going under the hood.
NICE, I will prolly get a LSD too.

So:
Dezod Turbo kit
TRD Struts
Tein H-Techs
Hotchkis Swaybars
LSD
Clutch
Flywheel
Other tidbits

This is gonna make a really insane tC
Old 06-22-2007, 01:07 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Re: ABOUT TO ORDER A TURBO KIT!!!

Originally Posted by 20tCDude05
About to order Dezod's kit and I have tons of questions

1. Should I get ball bearings? Is it worth it?
2. Should I go with the F2 Series Dual Ball Bearings instead???
3. Do I need a PnP Harness for the E-Manage Ultimate or does it come with one?
4. Should I get a flywheel?
5. Should I get an Ingall's torque dampener? Is it worth it?

What else do I need? And advice, suggestions, or tips would be GREATLY appreciated.
1. Depends...Will reduce lag and be better on response, but not needed if you are just running an off the shelf S1

2. F2 FTW!!!!

3. You get a PnP harness included with our kits.

4. Choice is yours. If you have the cash to burn, go for it.

5. Stiffy, great $160 mod that helps a LOT in eliminating wheel hop and such.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

What else do I need? And advice, suggestions, or tips would be GREATLY appreciated.
1. Depends...Will reduce lag and be better on response, but not needed if you are just running an off the shelf S1

2. F2 FTW!!!!

I already ordered the kit, I didn't get any ball bearings, was that a bad idea???

I will prolly get the stiffy and flywheel soon from you, unless if I can find one for cheaper.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

2. F2 FTW!!!!

I already ordered the kit, I didn't get any ball bearings, was that a bad idea???

I will prolly get the stiffy and flywheel soon from you, unless if I can find one for cheaper.
I have both in stock though.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ofcourse you shoulda got ball bearings! how cool is it to say your tc has ballz!
Old 06-22-2007, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ofcourse you shoulda got ball bearings! how cool is it to say your tc has ballz!
Well, they are so expensive to fix if they get messed up tho. And with a flywheel, it will make up for it, so not a big deal? I can always change it out later on. Like when it wears out.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, but turbonetics turbo's have a full one year no fault no hassle warranty! drive it like you stole it! lol.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

But he LSD and lightened flywheel arent' neccessary, if your tight on cash, which I think yousaid you were. Your gonna need the clutch. BB also not neccessary, but would have spooled up faster, but you already bouhgt that.

I have the AEM True Boost, not installed yet, but it is actually less expensive then buying a good boost gauge and a seperate electronic boost controller. I think it was $300.
dont' get a manual boost controller.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i honestly havent heard to many good things about the tru boost...ive heard a lot of boost control problems with their solenoids
Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guess we'll find out next week!
Honestly, it was only $100 more then the regular boost gauge, so if worst comes to worst, I can just use it as that and get a different boost controller.
Which ones are good? ANd not to pricey? talking $300 or less.

OH, and I was planning on getting the INgalls ETD, but I think I'm going to get the Speed Source Engine Mounts instaed. Might as well do it the right way, right?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
But he LSD and lightened flywheel arent' neccessary, if your tight on cash, which I think yousaid you were. Your gonna need the clutch. BB also not neccessary, but would have spooled up faster, but you already bouhgt that.

I have the AEM True Boost, not installed yet, but it is actually less expensive then buying a good boost gauge and a seperate electronic boost controller. I think it was $300.
dont' get a manual boost controller.
I will prolly get a flywheel. Anyway, how much faster do ball bearings help??

Quick Reply: ABOUT TO ORDER A TURBO KIT!!!