Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

AEM F/IC TC Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb AEM F/IC TC Tuning

I consider myself an amateur at tuning but have had some pretty decent results from playing with my personal car, not other peoples. If there is anyone that can give a basic "start from scratch" method to building F/IC tunes for boosted applications that would be great. I've read the sticky on setting it up and the general synopsis and logic but a more detailed explanation so I (and everyone else) can get a full understanding of how a start to finish "rough draft" tune should be made. For example, different cars require you to start with tuning different maps from what I've read. I figure you start with MAF and O2 but does fuel and then timing come next etc etc etc. I am requesting that professional tuners not "give away" their secrets but give some guidance on how to set up a safe street tune so we can get to work and back and save up money to take it to the pro's! Some basics might include (TC Specific btw) how much timing vs boost to pull, injector response time, and general tips that have stumped you in the past that you found a solution for. Thanks for all the help that may come from this post!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

ill throw in one tip...

the general rule of thumb for timeing

supercharged= 2degree of timeing retard for every 1psi of boost
turbo= 1degree of timeing retard for every 1psi of boost
n20= after 75 shot 1degree of timeing retard for every 75shot after (example: 75 shot on a tc= no timeing retard, 100shot on a tc=1 degree of timeing retard.

thes are just general rules with a big safety margin and in some cases may be too much retard.

personaly i have only taken out 3.25 @ 8psi (22.7 absolute) and tapper it down to .75 at 0psi (14.7 absolute)

keep in mind that with weather changes you need to keep a safety margin when it comes to timeing or adjust your timeing depending on ambiant temps. example: -3.25 @ 8psi ambiant temps=70f versus -4.55 @ 8psi ambiant temps= 101f
Old 08-30-2009, 05:47 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

btw im not 100% sure on the n20 if that is correct...its been a while since iv looked into it.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crush you have only pulled 3 degrees at 8 psi correct? Very good thread, watching... I have never messed with the injector response time, would like some imput as well on that.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doesn't the ECU pull timing as well when conditions are right?
Old 08-30-2009, 03:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

yes it does, I have experienced this first hand. When it gets really hot it may pull one extra degree.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTit06
Crush you have only pulled 3 degrees at 8 psi correct? Very good thread, watching... I have never messed with the injector response time, would like some imput as well on that.
yep...so far in all conditions its been ok.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by Carlanga
yes it does, I have experienced this first hand. When it gets really hot it may pull one extra degree.
word
Old 08-30-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks crush. That's roughly what I've been aiming for on my street tune but I gradually make changes so the ECU doesn't freak out. Plus, I get my scangauge II today so I'll finally be able to monitor fuel trims. Keep it coming guys!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want one. i would love to see the fuel trims on my standalone.. o wait............ nvm
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
i want one. i would love to see the fuel trims on my standalone.. o wait............ nvm

Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would not recommend using someone else's timing table.. there are so many variables that are in the equation that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Tuning timing is best done on a dyno. Start very conservative and increase timing gradually and watch how hp/tq increases. Do several pulls at each setting but make sure to check your spark plugs before each timing increase. Once you see white spots on the plugs, back off the timing a degree or so and leave the timing there.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
I would not recommend using someone else's timing table.. there are so many variables that are in the equation that it's better to be safe than sorry.

Tuning timing is best done on a dyno. Start very conservative and increase timing gradually and watch how hp/tq increases. Do several pulls at each setting but make sure to check your spark plugs before each timing increase. Once you see white spots on the plugs, back off the timing a degree or so and leave the timing there.
word....

while messing with the timeing can be a short cut to bigger numbers (exp on the butt dyno) it can be the quickest way to a blown engine.

iv never used the spark plugs to determine the timeing (good idea btw) however i do suggest a knock gauge or other knock reading methods to tune your timing.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Colder plugs are always recommended when it comes to boost. How about a little guidance on how cold to go and when? I running 2 steps colder on the NGK IV's.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:20 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

that one is kinda tough... the whole reason for going to a colder plug is becouse the combustion chamber temps are higher with boost. In order for your plugs to work properly they need to stay at a certain temp. Go too cold and the plugs will become fouled, too hot and you could have bigger problems. plugs need to maintain this temp to so that deposits will be burned off the plug tip. sounds simple enough right but how do you figure out how hot your combustion chamber is? you could go with perhaps an egt gauge to find out but there is a difference between combustion chamber temps and exhoust gas temps.

thats about the best that i can explain it, here is a site i got most of that info from

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...2.asp?mode=nml
Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah their site is pretty informative when it comes down to getting a general idea. I run the two step colder and have had nothing but great results from them.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by rangerryda
Yeah their site is pretty informative when it comes down to getting a general idea. I run the two step colder and have had nothing but great results from them.
thats what most use anyways....the best way to tell imho is to look at the plug condition...if for some reason they always look fouled and your a/f are in good order then its prolly a good idea to go to a 1step colder plug instead of a two step. if your engine seems to be knocking and your a/f are good then maybe need to go a step higher like a 3step colder plug.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Hey Rob could you explain to me and everyone again how you tune your 02map and injector response time. (if you want to keep that one under your hat i understand)
Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Crush Automotive Customs
Hey Rob could you explain to me and everyone again how you tune your 02map and injector response time. (if you want to keep that one under your hat i understand)

Injector response time should be figured out according to your injectors!

As far as tuning a o2 map, using a scan gauge or something monitor fuel trims is the easyest way to start off! but if you do not have one, very small changes should be made with 2-3 pulls per change. You should always adjust fuel and o2 not just one or the other!

start with 1 degree of timing per boost pulled, then once you have that done. tune your afr's and slowly introduce timng back in and tune fuel accordingly!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

anyone using any datalogger to see the actual timing using you are having while on boost? I know the aem fic shows only the amount of timing pulled not the actual timing the ECU+fic is giving..

Quick Reply: AEM F/IC TC Tuning