Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

AEM Standalone for the tC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
after reading this thread, i'm with you etsnet. i probably havent spent much consideration on the standalone as you have though.

at first i was also under the impression that there was some sort of "base map" that would at least get the car running so that the tuner worked from there. but then i realized since it was a complete standalone (unlike the piggybacks we use with our ECU) it's pretty much like removing our ECU and sticking a brand new box in there with no information. everything has to tuned to the individual car. so with that in mind, your looking at a ton of money spent on tuning alone..probably in the 4 figure range if starting from scratch like Dezod did . even with the partial map that dezod provides there is still much tuning left to be done...
That's why I asked cuz like you said four figures. Now don't get me wrong if that's what it takes to get it done right that's fine. My problem is I have the $600 set aside to tune the ultimate and trying to come up with extra money to get the AEM EMS before the motor is dropped in any day now. So what this might mean is I'll have to come up with the $2K for the AEM and then another maybe $500+++ on top of the $2K and $600 that I have for the ultimate tune. I just don't see no way of doing that before I get my car done. I may have to hold off for now.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: AEM Standalone for the tC?

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I just have a few questions for the people who actually bought the Standalone AEM unit, or are thinking about purchasing it for their tC. One of my crew members who just got back from Iraq came over to my house to wire up his AEM standalone. He bought the AEM from Dezod along with the plug and play harness. While we were sitting in the garage, he points out to me that the Idle Air Control valve that he bought with his AEM was actually a Honda part (used part). I was immediately take back by this. Then he proceeds to tell me that he thinks this unit is actually off of a Honda and not "specifically" designed for the tC. So, basically he bought an AEM unit meant to be installed onto a Honda and not configured for his tC.

So, after about an Hr of feeding wires and what not through his firewall, he connects up the AEM unit, and his car will not fire up. Tried a few more times and nothing. It tries to crank, but not actually start, so he disconnected the AEM for now, and drove home. Couple of days later he was suppose to go to a local shop to have it tuned, but canceled his appointment as he couldn't even get it to start the car, so it was pointless.

I advised him that maybe there is a jumper setting or something we might be missing (I have no experience with the AEM so I don't know). He contacted Dezod, to which his questions pretty much without any resolution. I think his words were....."they told me to take it to a tuner". Then some other information he told me was that AEM does not support their Standalone unit on a tC, cause they don't have an "actual" configuration for it. So.......He can't even call AEM for help.

My question is WHO is providing support for the standalone AEM unit when AEM themselves are not? The other standalone options are Hydra and Motec, which BOTH of them list their units to work with the tC and are configured/compatible for the tC.

I was checking Dezod's site, but I could not find any mention of getting a used Honda part.
The AEM EMS from Dezod has a base map for starting the tC. You have to download the base map to the EMS BEFORE YOU TRY TO START THE CAR for the first time as stated in one of the instruction papers. If you fail to do that you might damage the EMS (if you haven't done that already) because the base map configures the inputs and outputs for the specific car: in this case the 2AZ-FE!

The Dezod AEM EMS does come with a used Idle Air Control valve (IAC valve) as part of the "T1 Race Development Remote Mount IAC Kit". It is NOT MENTIONED on the Dezod site but is very clearly stated on the kit instructions IF YOU TOOK THE TIME TO READ them before trying to start the car and or posting here.

The Dezod base map comes configured for 550cc injectors and a 3.5Bar MAP sensor. If you have other injectors and/or other MAP sensor it WILL NOT START !!!

Let me know the specs on your buddies car to see if it can start!

Pito
Old 02-17-2008, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mecanica_Pito
I just have a few questions for the people who actually bought the Standalone AEM unit, or are thinking about purchasing it for their tC. One of my crew members who just got back from Iraq came over to my house to wire up his AEM standalone. He bought the AEM from Dezod along with the plug and play harness. While we were sitting in the garage, he points out to me that the Idle Air Control valve that he bought with his AEM was actually a Honda part (used part). I was immediately take back by this. Then he proceeds to tell me that he thinks this unit is actually off of a Honda and not "specifically" designed for the tC. So, basically he bought an AEM unit meant to be installed onto a Honda and not configured for his tC.

So, after about an Hr of feeding wires and what not through his firewall, he connects up the AEM unit, and his car will not fire up. Tried a few more times and nothing. It tries to crank, but not actually start, so he disconnected the AEM for now, and drove home. Couple of days later he was suppose to go to a local shop to have it tuned, but canceled his appointment as he couldn't even get it to start the car, so it was pointless.

I advised him that maybe there is a jumper setting or something we might be missing (I have no experience with the AEM so I don't know). He contacted Dezod, to which his questions pretty much without any resolution. I think his words were....."they told me to take it to a tuner". Then some other information he told me was that AEM does not support their Standalone unit on a tC, cause they don't have an "actual" configuration for it. So.......He can't even call AEM for help.

My question is WHO is providing support for the standalone AEM unit when AEM themselves are not? The other standalone options are Hydra and Motec, which BOTH of them list their units to work with the tC and are configured/compatible for the tC.

I was checking Dezod's site, but I could not find any mention of getting a used Honda part.
The AEM EMS from Dezod has a base map for starting the tC. You have to download the base map to the EMS BEFORE YOU TRY TO START THE CAR for the first time as stated in one of the instruction papers. If you fail to do that you might damage the EMS (if you haven't done that already) because the base map configures the inputs and outputs for the specific car: in this case the 2AZ-FE!
He had a laptop hooked to it. I could not tell you if he "pre" downloaded anything to the EMS. If it comes with a Base map to start the car, why is it not already uploaded to the EMS? It has memory, so I don't see why it wouldn't be pre-loaded from the time of purchase.

The Dezod AEM EMS does come with a used Idle Air Control valve (IAC valve) as part of the "T1 Race Development Remote Mount IAC Kit". It is NOT MENTIONED on the Dezod site but is very clearly stated on the kit instructions IF YOU TOOK THE TIME TO READ them before trying to start the car and or posting here.
I think you are misunderstanding my questions. It's mentioned in the instructions....are those instructions listed on the site? I could not locate them if they are. What I am saying is...."Where does it tell you it is a used IAC valve....BEFORE you buy the unit?" Taking time to read them before starting the car = POST purchase.

The Dezod base map comes configured for 550cc injectors and a 3.5Bar MAP sensor. If you have other injectors and/or other MAP sensor it WILL NOT START !!!

Pito

That's good info. to know, I think that should be listed on the site as well. Looks like whoever he gets to tune it will have to start from scratch as his car is not running 550cc's.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Pito
Thank you. Atleast someone was reading the install manual. Most tuners will require $700-1200 to tune the standalone. Standalones are NOT like piggybacks, You're in essence starting from scratch!

AEM does NOT even load their PnP EMSs with the base cal, They include a sheet, which put right on the top of the unit when shipping out the EMS. It says that the map is not loaded and you must do it yourself. We provide our maps on a disc, which must be loaded by the user.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

As usual, all and anything technical regarding the TC that we ecounter or make products for can be found on our tech notes page.

http://www.dezod.com/tech_notes.cfm
Old 02-17-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny how people never admit when there in over there heads. when they get something that they dont understand, and cant get to work. it's all of the sudden someone elses fault. im sure all of these questions could have been answered by doing a little reaserch before spending $2,000 on an ems.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

Pito
Thank you. Atleast someone was reading the install manual. Most tuners will require $700-1200 to tune the standalone. Standalones are NOT like piggybacks, You're in essence starting from scratch!

AEM does NOT even load their PnP EMSs with the base cal, They include a sheet, which put right on the top of the unit when shipping out the EMS. It says that the map is not loaded and you must do it yourself. We provide our maps on a disc, which must be loaded by the user.

So, the install manual is listed on the website? Can you post the link for me, I could not locate it.

**Edit** Thanks for the link. I will double check with him on certain things.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
funny how people never admit when there in over there heads. when they get something that they dont understand, and cant get to work. it's all of the sudden someone elses fault. im sure all of these questions could have been answered by doing a little reaserch before spending $2,000 on an ems.

I didn't spend $2k, so I'm good...

What about the questions that can't be answered though without spending the $2k first? As there are quite a few questions I had that you won't find the answer to until After buying the unit, or by coming on here and making a post for Dezod to respond to. He does not get on SL, so he wouldn't have made a post. So, I'm glad I have made one so that others that want to purchase the AEM, will have the answers to questions that do not have the information posted elsewhere.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

What about the questions that can't be answered though without spending the $2k first? As there are quite a few questions I had that you won't find the answer to until After buying the unit, or by coming on here and making a post for Dezod to respond to. He does not get on SL, so he wouldn't have made a post. So, I'm glad I have made one so that others that want to purchase the AEM, will have the answers to questions that do not have the information posted elsewhere.
If someone had a question prior to ordering, email and/or phone calls always are there to clarify anything needed to be known in advance.

Email: paul@dezod.com
Phone: 716-362-8771 M-F 10AM-5:30PM EST
Old 02-19-2008, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

If someone had a question prior to ordering, email and/or phone calls always are there to clarify anything needed to be known in advance.

Email: paul@dezod.com
Phone: 716-362-8771 M-F 10AM-5:30PM EST

In all fairness to the buyer though, I don't know about you, but I probably as I would think most people would not call you and ask "Is the IAC valve used or new?".
Old 02-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

In all fairness to the buyer though, I don't know about you, but I probably as I would think most people would not call you and ask "Is the IAC valve used or new?".
In all fairness you are correct, but the directions can be read at anytime on our website. Touche!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

In all fairness you are correct, but the directions can be read at anytime on our website. Touche!

In the mean time, I will provide and update to this thread after I talk with him. I think he leaves to go back to Iraq tomorrow though.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

In the mean time, I will provide and update to this thread after I talk with him. I think he leaves to go back to Iraq tomorrow though.
THAT sucks! Tell him to be careful and stay alive over there.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't think he is in much of harms way, but still it's Iraq, so.... we keep him in our thoughts each club meeting we have.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I appreciate this thread. In the market for an EMS and this information helps clarify questions that I did not even know I had lol.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Glad I can help a little.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I was pretty worried about the AEM after this post. I talked to my tuner Saturday and he said he prefers the AEM and was gonna cap the tune at $500. So I'll be ordering mine tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
I was pretty worried about the AEM after this post. I talked to my tuner Saturday and he said he prefers the AEM and was gonna cap the tune at $500. So I'll be ordering mine tomorrow.
jack said that?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
jack said that?
Yeah talked to him Saturday. I told him what I had (the basic emanage) and how I just sold it to buy the Ultimate. He was saying the different things he could do with the standalone. I told him I wanted a standalone but the tunning cost would be to high right now for me then asked him what it might cost to tune it even if it was from scratch and that's when he said that he'd cap it at $500. I was like I know what I'm ordering Monday.lol
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

That's great news Paul!!!!!

Quick Reply: AEM Standalone for the tC?