Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

air to water intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:18 AM
SL Member

Default air to water intercooler?

alright guys have a quick question, which intercooler would you rather have, air to liquid or air to air? why would you take this intercooler? i already have the air to liquid made by power... which are expensive as _ell.. heres my setup, cp pistons, manley rods, stock crank, stock head, upgraded rail pump and 700 cci injectors.. with a 16 turbo, which will be maxxed before anything else comes close to bein maxxed i hope. with that setup which would be more efficent?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im a big fan of water to air...
1. looks cleaner.
2. cools better, well at certain times.....if your at a drag strip all day the water to air will get heat soaked and pretty much useless
3. down side......water to air cooler cost more to run.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 AM
SL Member

the air to liquid is more expensive, and thats the main downfall.. iam doing autocross with the car usually the car only gets maybe 10 mints inbetween runs depending on the number of people.. i thought about switching to air to air, but in order to do that would be finding a intercooler and being able to sell the air to liquid intercooler and at a good price.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

what kind of manifold do you have zpi ? I had a atp manifold which was like the zpi mani where you had to run the hot side up and over. So because of that I was also looking at a air to water intercooler. The main issue I found was space, I found a box style cooler and a front mount liquid cooler. But to use it I would have to remove the battery and cut the plate that would go below it. Also the price was almost triple that of a standard air to air so I went with a dezod intercooler. I would say if you can run the pipes go for a standard air to air but get a large intercooler, with like a 3.5" or thicker core.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

With the air/water applicaion, would you still mount it in front like a standard air/air intercooler?
Could you mount it elsewhere in the engine bay and still have a cooling effect that is efficient enough to cool your boost charge?

More for a daily application then for the strip or autox, so not worried about those situations where heatsoak can become an issue. I only ask because there is a huge hole in the front right underneath the battery tray, that if properly mounted and fed with air a smaller water/air intercooler could work better for my S/C. Since the standard setup for a FMIC is a lot more of a PITA since the S/C outlet and intake mani are not in optimal locations for that much piping.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoccerBoy_AP
With the air/water applicaion, would you still mount it in front like a standard air/air intercooler?
Could you mount it elsewhere in the engine bay and still have a cooling effect that is efficient enough to cool your boost charge?
You can mount the cooler piping anywhere in the engine bay(where it fits that is), but with a sc you want to keep the piping as short as possible so you don't lose boost pressure. You mount the heat exchanger in the front like an air to air core is set up. Frozenboost.com has some inexpensive kits, the welds don't look so great, but I've heard they work well.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont know much about water/air intercooler but I would think it would be heavier?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Heavier, yes...
With the stock ecu map I can run up to the 65mm/9.5psi pulley without risk of problems.. especially since I'm up in thinner atmosphere. After that I need to have a cooler charge and I don't want to run Water/Meth. Having a water/air intercooler would save me on space and hopefully pipe length. Then there is the possibilty to push up to the 55m/12psi or even the 40mm(?)/15psi pulleys. Of course I would already net a 2PSI loss because of altitude and another 1-2psi because of the intercooler... so even at the 15psi, I might be getting 11-12psi but that is a cooler and much more stable charge.