Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Almost Dyno tuned!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Almost Dyno tuned!

Well, my dyno tune day was today at Church's Dyno and well, due to my lack of knowledge, i'm gonna need another day. Anyway, here's what happened...a few days ago, i was having a problem with a leaky injector which ended up being an O-ring, so for the meantime, i put the stock injectors in instead of the 440cc ones that come with the SC. Well i forgot to put the other injectors back (440cc) and so once i got to the Dyno shop, we couldn't get a complete run because my car would lean out around 4800 rpm's. Well we got one run up to 5k before we jumped off the throttle and i have a temporary dyno run. Next week, i got another appointment and the 440's will be on and Sean at Church dyno said that he believes we can get 220-230whp with this setup (ARK N2 catback exhaust, 9lb pulley, CAI, s/c)...at least the way it's looking at this time. I think it's gonna be closer to 210whp, but it would be great to get 220-230. Anyway, here's the dyno sheet showing 182whp and 176.5 lb/ft torque at only 5k rpm's with stock injectors. Can't wait till next week!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

DAMN! I had no clue the injectors made that big of a difference

And we need to meet up before I move to Arizona for college so I can give you your stock 7lb SC pulley
Old 07-28-2007, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have to love the linear power.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC9o9
you have to love the linear power.
I hate linear power
Old 07-29-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

yeah linear power is a great thing...I choose when the car makes power pretty much...nice concept
Old 07-29-2007, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

haha, ty....that sucks that you couldn't go over 4500 rpm.....i would think you'll pull out around 220 whp, and maybe 200tq.....all those people say you can get 240whp out of the 9lb pulley, but i don't know about that
Old 07-29-2007, 01:37 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Linear power blows. Thats why a turbo at the same power as our superchargers will eat us for dinner
Old 07-29-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Linear power blows. Thats why a turbo at the same power as our superchargers will eat us for dinner
i very highly doubt that...unless it's driver error. A sc at the same power rating as a t/c will beat that turbo any day. There's NO turbo lag, no shift bogging and the linear power will actually do better...because you continusously build up boost instead of your car remaining at the same boost and tryin to make up for it right after you shift.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, a SC with the same power does not reach peak power untill redline. Where a smaller turbo will hit peak pwer at say 5300rpm. So the turbo will reach peak power a good 1000rpm faster in everygear. That's why 250hp turbos are running 13s, and SC are not.
Plus, with a smaller turbo, boost comes in soon enough that while cruzing, just a little push on the gas brings boost back on.
But i have to say, I DO like the smooth power delivery of a good supercharger. Makes it feel like a v6 in our little sport commpacts!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
i very highly doubt that...unless it's driver error. A sc at the same power rating as a t/c will beat that turbo any day. There's NO turbo lag, no shift bogging and the linear power will actually do better...because you continusously build up boost instead of your car remaining at the same boost and tryin to make up for it right after you shift.
turbo vs. s/c at the same hp rating the turbo will destroy the s/c car. turbos have tons more torque and hit full boost way sooner then the s/c. my buddy has a greddy turbo on his tc and hits full boost at about 3500 all the way to redline vs. the s/c only hitting full boost at redline. on his street tune he puts down about 200whp and 220lbs tq, vs. my s/c putting down 203whp and 187lbs tq. from a 2nd gear roll he destroyed me. from a dig its closer but he still wins. thats on his street tune... his track tune ide need to have a huge lead and i will still lose.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:24 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BuddhasTC
You have never driven a turbo charged or supercharged tC then. I have a supercharged tC and hit 237WHP. I have driven many turbo tCs and they are much faster.
A supercharger like we have might make 237 WHP, but it does it for zero time. LITERALLY. Max power on our S/C tC comes exactly at redline. That means you make 237 HP and immediatly have to change gears. You now start back over in your next gear with no power.
Look at the dyno above.

Now go to a turbo tC. You take off and the turbo spools up at say 3000 RPMS. You maxing your hp at say 4500 rpms (lets say it puts down 237WHP) at that rpm. You now drive with max HP till redline.
where as from 4500 RPMS on in my car, you are building to 237 WHP. And your going against a car that is at your max for the entire time.

TURBO TC IS FASTER!!! Not driver error!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Actually, a SC with the same power does not reach peak power untill redline. Where a smaller turbo will hit peak pwer at say 5300rpm. So the turbo will reach peak power a good 1000rpm faster in everygear. That's why 250hp turbos are running 13s, and SC are not.
Plus, with a smaller turbo, boost comes in soon enough that while cruzing, just a little push on the gas brings boost back on.
But i have to say, I DO like the smooth power delivery of a good supercharger. Makes it feel like a v6 in our little sport commpacts!
I agree with everything you said except for the part about 250hp turbos hitting 13's and SC not. I blame the drivers for not hitting 13's NOT the SC. Off the top of my head i havent read here on SL of anyone posting improving times at the track, most SC owners just street race or autoX their car or simply installed the SC just for the hell of it, because they wanted more power.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:37 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

14.7 here with the supercharger (9.6 in the 1/8th). On street tires I dont think it is possible to hit the 13's. Unless you are putting alot of power to the ground. And I only no one person breaking 300whp s/c.

It must be all drivers then. And if thats the case, then a S/C tC cant hit 13's, because it takes a driver to do it.

Slap some slicks on it, and thats a different story.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Nick.
1tc4u2nv:
the reasons we all stated that a turbo tc is faster then a sc tc is the same reason why you'll never see a sc tc in the 13s. Unless, like nick siad, he's on slicks and pushing some really high numbers.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

yeah, i have seen other s/c cars that have almost a flat power curve, which would be ideal but with the trd, you only reach max power at redline, which is ridiculous, cause you can never run at max power ever that is useful....i used to have a stage 0, and that thing reached full boost at 2200 rpm......ive raced numerous s/c tc's and they never stand a chance.....man, i miss the turbo feel....but then again, the 3.5 v6 pushing over 300 na hp on my new z does feel great too!!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^-wanna race
Old 07-30-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
^-wanna race
haha, in due time....still breaking the car in.....future plans, TWIN TURBO!!!!
Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

14.7 here with the supercharger (9.6 in the 1/8th). On street tires I dont think it is possible to hit the 13's. Unless you are putting alot of power to the ground. And I only no one person breaking 300whp s/c.

It must be all drivers then. And if thats the case, then a S/C tC cant hit 13's, because it takes a driver to do it.

Slap some slicks on it, and thats a different story.
thats not a bad time nick, but what mods did you have when you ran that 9.6 because i ran 9.898 at 72MPH with the stock SC , pushing 183whp in a 3rd gear run at the dyno.

and Mr. Meaty:
I agree with you in that a SC tc will never go anywhere near as fast as turbo tc's have become, but never say that you'll never see a SC tc hitting 13's without slicks, because i believe it's possible without having to push 275whp+
Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I ran the 9.6 with only the Bosch 110 BPV.
I was never able to hit it again once turning the boost up, didnt have enough traction downlow. I bettered my 1/4 mile time, but not my 1/8th time.

I really dont think its possible to get down to the 13s without better tires. I hit 14.7 pushing 237 WHP. I dont see being able to drop 8 tenths off my time.

here is a question to ask, I ran a tenth better than you in the 1/8th, with the same setup (except I had the bosch 110, and 2 twelves in the trunk and 18" wheels).
Do you consider yourself a good driver? If you answer yes, then you kill the fact that the reason a person cant hit 13's is because of the driver.
If you say no, well then maybe it is driver error.

not trying to knock your driving or anything, just throwing it out there.

i think I am a decent/experienced driver, i dont see my times ever getting that much better in the 1/4 Mile (without tire changes)
Old 07-31-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1tc4u2nv:
I think you misunderstood me. I said you would not see a SC hit 13s UNLESS on slicks AND pushing high numbers.
I should have said high numbers for a SC, not just high numbers. I consider 250hp high numbes for a SC, just cause most aren't hitting those numbers.

Quick Reply: Almost Dyno tuned!