Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

another attempt at a s/c + fmic

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default another attempt at a s/c + fmic

Ok after alot of thinking i decided to keep my s/c instead of going turbo. Im gonna go all out and do a fmic+ 14psi. Im sick of everyone whos done it never getting dynoed to show how much power it makes or doesnt, . Its really more for looks since im into shows more than racing. Well my shop has a greddy core that came off a customers evo and said the dude wants 250 for it. Its kind of big but they assured me it will fit and work fine. Even though i trust them they never did this before so i still have my doubts. Does anyone know if the size of the core will effect the psi drop or is it all in the piping?
Old 10-11-2008, 02:13 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

from what the guys that are FMIC'd say you will experience a 2 psi loss, now you should only be boosting 12psi on your stock internals so I'd personally suggest a 12 psi pulley (12-2=10)
PM Eminence he has the only nice fmic set up for the tC that I have seen on here.

Kiss_Kiss_Kill also has one set up but I havent heard from her the way it runs or how efficient it is.

Just be ready with alot of backup cash in case (and when) something does go wrong, I would contact Bell Intercoolers to make sure their dimensions are the same that you have (they make the only FMIC for the S/C tC from what they have told me)

Good Luck, will be watching
Old 10-11-2008, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks..Yeah i wanted to only push 12psi thats why i figured if i got the 14psi pulley and like you said i droped 2, 12 is fine since other people have been running them w/o problems from what i hear. I talked to eminence i keep telling him to get dynoed but i dont think he has yet. Ill definitley keep everyone updated with info and pics as i go. I will have a dyno on 9.5psi and then again when ever my 14psi pulley gets here. Oh and i will be using the unichip version q for tuning.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

hmm the most critical piece of advise is DONT CHEAP OUT...that could potentially turn out more costly

go with a real EMS, you'll thank yourself later
Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah.. i know but they seem confident with the unichip.. if it doesnt work well, then i guess ill switch it up. I heard good and bad with it. I mean it comes with the turbonetics kit.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

as long as they know what they're doing with the unichip and are accredited tuners with the unichip...then by all means, go for it
Old 10-11-2008, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

so when are your plans to do this?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1HOVAFAN
Does anyone know if the size of the core will effect the psi drop or is it all in the piping?
Core, type, size, piping, routing, etc. Have you seen the configuration of the s/c and what this will take??
If it's just for "show" then what do you care?? Put 11 feet of bling bling in your engine bay and let that drop 5psi. But it's really not for show, is it? You want to tune, dyno, etc.
So do it right.
That means, don't just slap on an FMIC. It is a waste. People don't get dyno'd because after the money they've spent they know it would be a heartbreaker. Or they do and won't tell you. That first guy who did it and got into a magazine? No numbers worth posting in the article because he'd be a laughing stock. Oh and he was selling the setup shortly thereafter. Go A2W. .5 PSI drop max.

Originally Posted by checho10
now you should only be boosting 12psi on your stock internals so I'd personally suggest a 12 psi pulley (12-2=10)
Not sure where you got that info. Who told you 12 was the magic number?
Old 10-11-2008, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ I said it is more for looks, dont get it twisted. I wouldnt like to get dynoed and have 200whp and be happy. The fmic your talking about was bought from a guy on here .. His screen name is eminence. Ive talked to him before and he only losses 2psi. To me having somthing i know only a few people have, and at shows im sure they wont be therelol.dropping 2psi is somthing i can live with.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
so when are your plans to do this?
Just gathering up the parts right now.. It should only take a day to do. Im aiming for this week or next.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by jetlounge
Originally Posted by checho10
now you should only be boosting 12psi on your stock internals so I'd personally suggest a 12 psi pulley (12-2=10)
Not sure where you got that info. Who told you 12 was the magic number?
When was the last time anyone ran more than 12 psi without upgrading their internals?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you could run 20psi stock if you wanted with the right setup.. its all about the type of turbo or supercharger your using and how many cfm its pushing out. basically you cant go by psi but rather should be going by how much power the stock engine can safely handle .

also if i was designing a intercooler setup for the TRD supercharger i would move the battery to the trunk and stick a w2a core there, it would make it easier to route pipes ...
Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could run 20psi stock if you wanted with the right setup.. its all about the type of turbo or supercharger your using and how many cfm its pushing out. basically you cant go by psi but rather should be going by how much power the stock engine can safely handle .

also if i was designing a intercooler setup for the TRD supercharger i would move the battery to the trunk and stick a w2a core there, it would make it easier to route pipes ...
Oh really? And have you run 20psi on a stock 2AZ-FE? Who do you know runs 20psi consistently and reliably on our stock motor?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doesnt matter anyways with the s/c, you can only run up too 14psi since thats the smallest nst makes. Even if you got somone to make one smaller good luck with getting the belt not to slip.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look.. I have a 14psi first off... Buy it off me! never used.

Second.. (reason i stopped doing my project) The pressure loss between the outlet of the s/c and inlet of the s/c is going to be around 1.5- 2.0! Therfor your car is going to be running rich at all times! Two Your going to need full stabnd alone to do a 14psi pully, because your going to need larger then 700cc injectors.

Or you could go turbo and be alot quicker and cheaper

I know you really want this and so did i! But trust me its a real pita! And expensive! Go turbo and save ur self the headache!

If you still want to do this hit me up ive got pics of the ic piping and like i said i have the 14psi pully ill sell fot 130 shipped i paid 165 three weeks ago!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dammn, This puts a damper on things. I was about to give my shop half the doe monday. What if i also did meth injection and injectors. Thanks for the warning btw
Old 10-11-2008, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i have up my setup was going to do 14 psi with water to air! Check frozen boost.com And then buy my pully!!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^you have a pm
Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by B_Real45

Oh really? And have you run 20psi on a stock 2AZ-FE? Who do you know runs 20psi consistently and reliably on our stock motor?
apparently you didn't read anything i wrote other then the first few words

also ElevationTC you should post them pics up as i would like to see the piping as well
Old 10-11-2008, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im thinking about maybe putting the maf on the cold pipe near the bpv to prevent running rich.. can somone chime in

Quick Reply: another attempt at a s/c + fmic