Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Another Nitrous question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Another Nitrous question?

I have read several post about tc's using a 35 shot of nitrous safely. I would kie to have a dry nytrex system but can't find a place that sells them for our cars. I guess what i want to know is where i can buy a complete dry kit for a tc.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also how hard the install would be? I might even go lighter that a 35 shot just to be safe.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

install for a dry shot is very easy, I have run a 40 shot on my xb with no problems. Stripper sells complete sets.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

why do you want a dry system...isnt that the least safest way to run nitrous? I thought something like a direct port or wet shot is the safest.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

your better of with a wet or direct port because dry kits are more dangerous but installation of nitrous kits are very easy i reccomend zex wet kits ie done an install with them they're great
Old 08-17-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

It depends on how you manage your system and how big of a shot you want to run. A 30 dry shot on a tc is very safe and you should have no issues. The ecu will be able to compensate for that with no problems.

Why do you guys think a dry kit is more dangerous?

With a wet kit you are adding a fuel line and there is risk of a leak and puddling.

Either way if done right will work great.

Like I said if all you are looking for is a 30 shot I would go with the dry kit, it's easier to install and will save you some money.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea i wouldnt run a dry kit....last year before i had turbo i ran a wet kit with 75-100shot for about 5-6 months NO problems...
Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok so i will go woth a wet kit from zex if that is the safest way. I want to srat out with a 30 or 35 and maybe move up to a 50 eventually. I just have no idea how to install one. I understand the concept but i don't trust myself instaling it. Does anybody have any idea how much a shop would charge to install a wet kit?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i don't know how much a shop would charge, but its very easy to install one. It took my about 4hrs to install mine, but most of the time went to finding the right T fitting for the fuel line since the fuel line i cut was plastic. Oh yea i ran a 50shot with no problems.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just have to find a good deal on the zex wet kit now!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why would dry kit be more dangerous then wet? the way i saw it, the wet kit gives you more things to worry about, i.e. whether or not you're getting enough fuel. dry kit, the extra fuel will be coming from the injectors, so the only thing you'd have to worry about there is that you arent overloading your duty cycle on your injectors. dry kit also saves you some trouble of cutting and tapping the fuel line. only thing with the dry kit is that it isnt recommended to run a very big shot (personally i'm not going any higher then a 50 dry). but in the OP's case, he's thinking of a pretty small shot. not too sure about the size of the stock injectors, but that would probably be his main concern about safety.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

^^I explained that in an earlier post. The OP needs to do a lot more research than he already has. When I did my N2O kit I read 2 books and did lots of research before buying and installing.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^That is what i was thinking too. Thats is why i said dry kit orginally. I just can't find a zex kit with a 30 shot. I only found 50. I would like to start at a 30 and maybe move up but not sure yet. Im sure a 30 would be a noticable increase, and enough for what i want .
Old 08-18-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

You will be fine with the dry kit . The "shot" depends on the size nitrous jet you are running. you can buy the jets from most places that carry the kit. I really would suggest buying a book on the applications of N2O in a sport-compact car. It will give you a complete understanding of how the system works and how it will affect your car.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the advice, and i think i have some reading to do.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe sell him your books since you're done with them
Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

07tctul PM me your info and I will ship them out to you. I don't need them anymore and it will give you a good idea how to get started. (if I can find what I did with them,lol)
Old 08-18-2007, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 05-RS1
why would dry kit be more dangerous then wet? the way i saw it, the wet kit gives you more things to worry about, i.e. whether or not you're getting enough fuel. dry kit, the extra fuel will be coming from the injectors, so the only thing you'd have to worry about there is that you arent overloading your duty cycle on your injectors.
How are you getting more fuel from the injectors? Does it have a piggy back to the fuel system? I'm not up too par with the new nitrou setup... Just wondering how the ecu knows to send more fuel since the maf is the only thing that determined the amount of fuel needed. The dry system im familiar with just have a solenoid in the line between the tank and intake nitrous injector nothing fancy. I just see the car running super lean with a high shot on a dry system.

Wet is safer in my opinion,
Old 08-18-2007, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry, i wouldnt be able to answer that since the response i gave is actually more particular to my setup. when i was learning about the setup myself, i too was looking for that answer. then i just realized i already have EMU so i wouldnt need to worry about it . i have EMU and will be using it to tune everything needed. in my case, dry was the safer bet. and for that reason, my install is MUCH simpler then a typical dry kit install would be for someone without a way to tune it. i avoided having to use two solenoids, and tapping a line for a fuel pressure safety switch, and lots of wiring. all the steps that i didnt need to go through with could be your answer.

in the owners manual for my kit, it did have "tuning suggestions" for those that dont have an EMU. in the said table, they give combinations of jet sizes and fuel octane that they say would have your car working fine (that's if you followed their complete installation guide, which i didnt).

also, i believe zex does offer some type of tuning box with some of their kits. im not too sure though, i didnt look into their kits too much.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by RSracer
Originally Posted by 05-RS1
why would dry kit be more dangerous then wet? the way i saw it, the wet kit gives you more things to worry about, i.e. whether or not you're getting enough fuel. dry kit, the extra fuel will be coming from the injectors, so the only thing you'd have to worry about there is that you arent overloading your duty cycle on your injectors.
How are you getting more fuel from the injectors? Does it have a piggy back to the fuel system? I'm not up too par with the new nitrou setup... Just wondering how the ecu knows to send more fuel since the maf is the only thing that determined the amount of fuel needed. The dry system im familiar with just have a solenoid in the line between the tank and intake nitrous injector nothing fancy. I just see the car running super lean with a high shot on a dry system.

Wet is safer in my opinion,
Ok, this is how it works.

With a dry set-up you run the spray nozzle BEFORE the MAF. The nitrous hits the maf and the maf compensates for the added oxygen by adding fuel. Your stock injectors will be able to compensate for up to a 50 shot easily. It's when you get above that you need to start to think about a wet kit.

You need to run premium fuel.

You need to run a colder plug.

You need to have some type of RPM switch to turn the solenoid on and off.

You need to have a WOT switch.

With a 30 shot you DO NOT need to run a wet kit.

Quick Reply: Another Nitrous question?