Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Another problem... This time Tranny related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk but building a tranny is going to cost a ridiculous amount.. plus idk if i like the idea of the xrs gears for boost.. i read the thread and i think travis and some others said it wouldnt be at all positive for boost? idk. this tranny lasted 50 dyno pulls and a year. so.. i mean i dont need to dyno anymore.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching for tears
Old 12-06-2009, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
fine thats great but how many trannys are you gona go through in the long run?
Can you pm me your gear ratio's or what gears you have swapped? Looking to do a camry final drive swap, and was looking for other ideas as well.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

^ Ditto.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default trans

is it possible to swap tranny with xrs 6speed?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^its possible to do almost anything with a car. The right question to ask is, whether it is easier to swap a xrs tranny into a tC then it is to just get an oem replacement.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

6speed is the only reason I would swap besides oem. I would like to compare gear ratio
Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Would NOT put an XRS tranny on a tC by anymeans. Those things will EXPLODE unlike our tranny. And they will explode at a mear 250whp. Our trannies don't do that. Our problem usually lies within the gears/synchros. But never does the tranny completely fail, not even at 600whp. Gears on the other hand and especially 4th gear will be a headache for you. I need to learn to rebuild them.

Soflo, do you have an LSD?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope no LSD. im leaning toward the diff failing.. i have no other explanation for what could have happened? what you think travis?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didnt mike have your tranny apart a few days ago? maybe that could have something to do with it but it sounds like you exploded something in there
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea we had to take it apart to fix the clutch. he put everything back perfectly and even rechecked it a few times as hes a perfectionist. but ya im thinking the diff went... i mean theres just no way i lost teeth on all the gears.. and if the diff blew then im guessing it caused the leaking fluid aswell.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cory, yea we had it apart but if you have ever had one of the trans apart you would see/understand. Theres only one way to put it together. cant work for 400 miles then come apart. Unless you completly forgot to put something in. Expecially when you redlock tite everything like myself lol! Plus we pulled it apart to replace the case and learned that there are 2 versions of the case so i just slapped it back together not changing anything. but good call at first i was like uhh dammm.

But what i think happened here is possibly diff related.

Since when he called me. Said 5th gear just reved out. then he tried 1st it worked then reved out. tried 2nd worked then reved out.

There is no way that all 5 gears broke. And expecially if the issue started in 5th which is seperated from the rest of the trans.

Anything is possible and once its torn down we will find the issue! But i will say this trannys been through hell. And im not sure anyone making this power on an open diff like he is.

The car currently is rapping tires from 50-100 mph, and chads no stranger to doing that!

Luckly around the orlando area trans can be had for 250-300 dollars. Will keep everyone updated!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same issue.....tranny fluid coming out of the passenger side tranny seal leaving a trail down the underside of my car.....yea....that tranny seen better days =)
Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
idk but building a tranny is going to cost a ridiculous amount.. plus idk if i like the idea of the xrs gears for boost.. i read the thread and i think travis and some others said it wouldnt be at all positive for boost? idk. this tranny lasted 50 dyno pulls and a year. so.. i mean i dont need to dyno anymore.
ok FIRST.

i rebuilt mines for under 1k even with chryo treatments... its not expensive if you do your own labor and know what to do. I know who to talk to and know plenty of industry people with good tech info to back me up. not doubting trav, but i did what i did for a reason and since trav is not behind the wheel of my car nor has anyone else here other then a friends of mines and rob(breal) no one knows how the tranny i have works and how certain gears from the XRS can hold power and are an advantage for boost apps. Im on alot of forums (much more technical then this site) and plenty of even old school toyo ppl who build rear race cars and track cars especially in PR can attest to doind something similar ive done and drive 4-600 whp 3tc's, mr2s, and echos daily.

I NEVER SAID I HAD AN XRS TRANNY LETS GET THAT STR8 THAT WOULD BE IN ITSELF A STUPID MOVE...

this is why i rebuilt mines with a combo of mr2/xrs/ and tc.. but if you remember it was something i clearly said. even with the mr2 final drive upgrade.

im gonna really try to get a video so u can see. but you can ask Breal.. my tranny would be a fantastic boost upgrade. and i know for a fact im not the only tc guy with this tranny combo as there is one in PR who makes 575 whp
daily driven and tracked with no problems and another old guys locally with a silver tc whose had his car built from (toyomotos old days) lance. THAT car drives around 550 and its been on that tranny tracked at moroso on slicks for well over 2 yrs now and it drives amazing with no slippage or issues. he races turbo hayabusas for fun
Old 12-07-2009, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mastertech86
i had the same issue.....tranny fluid coming out of the passenger side tranny seal leaving a trail down the underside of my car.....yea....that tranny seen better days =)

You mean manuals trans dont like running on no fluid?

LOL!

Im anxious to see what happened to his, because it wasint leaking untill this happened! so possible diff expolsion?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could it just have been the seal on the casing to the pass. axle that gave out ? that seal is garbage.. ive had to replace mines twice!

and snap pics of the tear down
Old 12-07-2009, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think it sounds like a diff problem but let me know what you guys find!!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like aj's car. we were on 95 south and his pressure plate exploded. that blew a hole in the bell housing and tranny fluid went everywhere.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

If your diff failed, it would be a first in history. Of all the cars out there, including PTuing's TA car, they ran on open diff on the track before as well. So, never heard of a diff failure in our tranny.

TCpete, keep in mind that I was not referring to the use of XRS "gears", but just the notion of using an XRS tranny like someone else said. Then again, the only XRS tranny that could be used is the 09 XRS. I was referring to the faster previous XRS Corolla. Their trannies blew up if you tried to launch the car with anything more than 250whp. Some I've heard fail with less power cause the guy launched to hard.

I would double and tripple check the axles before EVER touching the transmission. Giggling it around is not a means of testing. You should pull the CV joint apart and inspect the axle. Make sure the snap ring is still intact. Start with the simple stuff first.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
If your diff failed, it would be a first in history. Of all the cars out there, including PTuing's TA car, they ran on open diff on the track before as well. So, never heard of a diff failure in our tranny.

TCpete, keep in mind that I was not referring to the use of XRS "gears", but just the notion of using an XRS tranny like someone else said. Then again, the only XRS tranny that could be used is the 09 XRS. I was referring to the faster previous XRS Corolla. Their trannies blew up if you tried to launch the car with anything more than 250whp. Some I've heard fail with less power cause the guy launched to hard.

I would double and tripple check the axles before EVER touching the transmission. Giggling it around is not a means of testing. You should pull the CV joint apart and inspect the axle. Make sure the snap ring is still intact. Start with the simple stuff first.
that was my first guess was axle. But im not there, and chad lives 3 hours away. Him and some friends have been looking at the car. We will find out soon!

Quick Reply: Another problem... This time Tranny related.