Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Another s/c down...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by KarysTC
I think it would be a great idea for those who want a s/c to seriously consider getting a turbo for a little bit more unless they are willing to handle the possible problems.
If you cant handle a s/c there is no way you can handle a more complex FI option ...being the turbo.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yah, but the turbo is less likely to fail in comparison to the s/c.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
Yah, but the turbo is less likely to fail in comparison to the s/c.
Actually its 100% opposite. There are many things that can go wrong w/ a turbo. The s/c is a bolt on unit. A turbo is designed unit that has a higher error rate.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My bearing behind the pulley failed in TWO weeks. Got a replacement, but the service manager called TRD & told them about my aftermarket header so they said if I ever come in again with a supercharger problem and the aftermarket header is still on there they're voiding my warranty. They blamed the failed bearing on the header because they said all the heat from it dried up all the oils around the bearing & caused it to crack. Now, my shaft is completely heat wrapped because they claim that the header can't come off unless the supercharger's taken out.

We'll see what happens.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I realize the complexity of a turbo and all of the issues, worries, and variables associated with running a turbo. I've taken them apart, designed shafts, and bearings for their application. That's application not the turbo it self, I don't want anyone twisting my words into designing turbos. The blower has all the moving parts working together with every stroke of the engine so things are much more predictable and theoretically safer and usually is. It's not like there's any kind waistegate regulating boost and basicly the system as a whole. The s/c in the case of the TRD and our cars aren't even close in my opinion. And that's all it is, is an opinion. I'd like it to me. I'm not bashing it because it makes less power. I've learned my leson first hand.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by KarysTC
I think it would be a great idea for those who want a s/c to seriously consider getting a turbo for a little bit more unless they are willing to handle the possible problems.
If you cant handle a s/c there is no way you can handle a more complex FI option ...being the turbo.

You right about that. I just don't think he should mod the blower. If one were so inclined to be that serious of a tuner, one would think he could handle the complexity of a turbo. Just be carefull with the setup. I know to many people who have lost their warranties. That's my arguement.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am still happy I got the s/c, I'm just disappointed right now that it isn't holding up. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident, and a replacement s/c will last me many trouble free miles. I have 40,000 miles of warranty left to figure that out.

The dealer has called me today to let me know my replacement s/c has arrived and they've scheduled the appointment for Tuesday. They've been great about the whole thing.

Would also appreciate not turning this into another turbo vs s/c thread. Lord knows there are enough of those around. My point in this thread is just to let the other s/c and potential s/c owners know that this is a possibility and if you hear anything odd coming from your supercharger, don't hesitate to have the dealer take a look.

Thanks.
Jeff
Old 03-15-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now im scared to install mine!!
Old 03-15-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I told the dealer to leave the heat shield for the stock header off of the car when they installed the supercharger. I had the supercharger put on in Nov of 05. I've put over 20k miles on it that way and have had no problems. I'm about to put on a different header, and will be putting a heat wrap on it though, not really to protect the supercharger components but more to reduce heat soak.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, Wasn't trying to make it a battle between the turbo and s/c.. There can be problems with both and I know some are lucky and don't have any problems with theirs and can be very pleased while others have their whole car ruined and need to get a new engine because pieces from the s/c breaking
Old 03-15-2007, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All reliability things asside.

I think the general consensus is that if you are going to mod the super charger then going that route makes little sense because as soon as something goes wrong you are basically screwed.

Dealer won't warranty the car AND TRD wont sell replacement parts for the blower, there is no where to go... Plus, removing the SC is a lot more complex than removing a turbo and you can't undo the re-flash. It's a bad deal all around.

Bottom line is fixing a SC that is not warrantied is going to get really expensive really quick!

At least you can get replacement parts from most of the turbo kits on the market today.

If you leave the SC stock, then it's a good way of adding ponies to your ride and still keep the factory warranty and your car is 50-state legal as well.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

someone posted the part numbers to a lot of the parts (fairly common parts at that) to the supercharger, so anyone can rebuild it if needed. There is also a way to "undo" the flash.

I do agree that if you want a small boost in power that is under warranty, the supercharger might be for you. If you're going to modify components for the supercharger, you have to weigh the differences between that and a turbo kit. No one can definitively say that one is better than the other since that is a matter of opinion and the expectations of the individual.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you CAN get replacement parts.

garage posted the bearings and other parts.

plus trd has the parts now on their 2007 parts list for individual order.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by jetlounge
Thats good to know. Good fact.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The blower assembly will still cost a decent amount of money.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Robs_tc

The blower assembly will still cost a decent amount of money.
Any way you look at it ....its better they atleast have the parts to replace. If something goes wrong the dealer doesnt have to fight a losing battle with TRD. For a dealer to call TRD and have them not care .....that was just sad.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey JRussell is this what the car sounded when u took it to the dealer or does it sound like the other video that was posted earlier in this thread.

This is what the car sounds like when u first started n its cold it does not sound like this when u accelerate. Only from idle to 1000 RPM.

This is after 2 minute ride around the block sounds normal the engine its already warmed up.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That noise should decrease with a 10w30 oil instead of 5w30
Old 03-17-2007, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do use 10w30 and it did decrease a lil bit from what it sounded in the beginning..
Old 03-17-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

D'oh...yeah, that's pretty close to what it sounds like.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Another s/c down...