Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Another toasted s/c

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A question about the warrenty. When they replace the unit with a new one does the warrenty on the new one restart another year or do you continue the existing one?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dilirious
A question about the warrenty. When they replace the unit with a new one does the warrenty on the new one restart another year or do you continue the existing one?
I would think TRD has a regular policy with warranty products, which is the new product only carries the remainder of the original warranty. So in my case even though I'd get a whole new unit warranty would still only be 5 months.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

bah that's ___
Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bah that's ___
Very true, but thats how it is with everything.... computer, tv's etc.

Btw. anyone know if the bearing issue is addressed in the 2007-2008 superchargers? I think i'm gonna make a call to TRD tomorrow and see if they can tell me anything about that.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

They changed the way its designed. They moved the first idler pulley and got rid of the second one. Its a much better design IMO than the current one with the 2 idler pulleys.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
They changed the way its designed. They moved the first idler pulley and got rid of the second one. Its a much better design IMO than the current one with the 2 idler pulleys.
yea sounds like possible less strain on the pulley? Any idea if the new design will fit an 06 with some alterations? I've been on the phone for hours today with TRD, Vortech, and a slew of machine shops and bearing manufacturers. I have come up with some good news on possibly making the s/c last longer. I will post my findings once everything is complete and I have all the info sorted out.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Pm me first!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Yes. It has a new 1yr warranty or the remainder of your powertrain warranty, which ever is greater.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BLUEMEANIE
Yes. It has a new 1yr warranty or the remainder of your powertrain warranty, which ever is greater.
A new 1yr warranty if installed by the dealer or 3rd party installed?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by checho10
hmm thats only in a perfect world my friend...

From what my boy at Toyota told me, TRD has admitted to having a few defective parts on their systems, that's why they had a recall for their first line of S/C's
the only thing they did was add the updated bracket for the 5 speed. was not an entire recall of the kit.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jetlounge
Originally Posted by checho10
hmm thats only in a perfect world my friend...

From what my boy at Toyota told me, TRD has admitted to having a few defective parts on their systems, that's why they had a recall for their first line of S/C's
the only thing they did was add the updated bracket for the 5 speed. was not an entire recall of the kit.
They should recall all the shafts, the bearings suck and will continue to go unless upgraded. I'm upgrading to metal sealed Teflon as soon as the new charger comes in, will see if it can last longer than 6 months. Looks like the bearings are the weak link here, the bearings in the idler pulleys also suck and are rubber sealed. I'll post pics up soon hopefully, tc has been sitting in the garage for 3 weeks now TRD
Old 10-27-2008, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Lies! You suck!
MUAHAHAHHA
Old 10-27-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Damn dude, im planning on having my tC for at least another 2 years and ive already had my s/c for about a year. I pretty worried that something is gona happen. As it is, my s/c doesn't sound right but its still making boost so....
Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JPsTc
Damn dude, im planning on having my tC for at least another 2 years and ive already had my s/c for about a year. I pretty worried that something is gona happen. As it is, my s/c doesn't sound right but its still making boost so....
Mine was making boost too, but it was squealing real bad, I thought that it was the belt at first but it was the shaft spinning inside of the bearings which isn't good.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by gompka
Originally Posted by SoFloTC
anotha one bites the dusttttt
yea TRD FTL, only reason i got the supercharger is to keep warranty, would be ironic if i ended up not getting the warranty lol..... reeealy hope that won't be the case though.
you more than likely will not get it warrantied (and you shouldn't) and this is why

recently dynoed 220 whp and 190tq with nst 9.5 pulley
You modified it, your mistake, you pay the price. Plus without the TRD cap on it or the tamper proof bolt, they will laugh at you and tell you that it is not covered under the warranty.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by equinox2355
yea TRD FTL, only reason i got the supercharger is to keep warranty, would be ironic if i ended up not getting the warranty lol..... reeealy hope that won't be the case though.
you more than likely will not get it warrantied (and you shouldn't) and this is why

You modified it, your mistake, you pay the price. Plus without the TRD cap on it or the tamper proof bolt, they will laugh at you and tell you that it is not covered under the warranty.
Doesn't matter what psi your at the bearings and/or shaft is faulty and shouldn't break either way. They won't laugh at me cause the trd engineer is already taking care of it, he knew what happened as soon as i showed him the pictures.

The bearings were too loose for the shaft and that is why the shaft spun in the bearings when they overheated, if it was just the bearings then i would just change them so read Manufacturer Defect
Old 10-27-2008, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^his tamperproof cap is on it...on teh nst pulley lol
Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Doesn't matter what psi your at the bearings and/or shaft is faulty and shouldn't break either way. They won't laugh at me cause the trd engineer is already taking care of it, he knew what happened as soon as i showed him the pictures.

The bearings were too loose for the shaft and that is why the shaft spun in the bearings when they overheaded, if it was just the bearings then i would just change them so read Manufacturer Defect
lol well consider yourself lucky that they are warrantying it EVEN THOUGH you VOIDED the warranty.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The bearings were too loose for the shaft and that is why the shaft spun in the bearings when they overheaded, if it was just the bearings then i would just change them so read Manufacturer Defect
lol well consider yourself lucky that they are warrantying it EVEN THOUGH you VOIDED the warranty.
Even if i did its still a factory defect. I took the whole supercharger apart to find out what the problem was and guess what? They can't tell i did that either. TRD isn't fixing the problem so I had to take matters into my own hands.

The main thing is i'm trying to help out all the s/c guys with some new ideas that I am sure will at least help a little.

Quick Reply: Another toasted s/c