Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Another Treadstone kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member

Default Another Treadstone kit

Just wanted to throw up a few of my pics of the Treadstone kit. I left out install pics, didnt take any, my install went similar to nd4spd's.

For starters my car is an '07 with 13k miles. I had similar hurdles to jump with my install like most others, nothing that stopped me from finishing the install in one day and having the car running that night though. No leaks, oil or exhaust as of yet.

Here's a few of the things I had to work around:

1. My compressor was NOT in the fan housing, about a 1/4" away or so. Just to be safe with engine movement I used a few flat brackets to pull the radiator toward the front of the vehicle just a hair, giving me a bit more clearance. No problems, worked great, didnt cut anything.

2. Kit did not come with a gasket for the downpipe side of the wastegate. I called Jason, he recommended using high temp silicone. I called Turbonetics they said most of the time a gasket is the best way but they have a few builds that do not use gaskets either. Since the surface is machined perfectly flat it should be fine even without a gasket, but silicone would be an extra assurance. I used the high temp red worked great so far.

3. The pipe to the intercooler from the compressor rides annoyingly close to the crossmember and in my car it vibrates aganst it when driving. I havent had time to see if its very difficult to take the crossmember out and cut it a bit with the plasma or not. In the mean time I used a rubber insulator to keep it from vibrating.

4. The biggest hurdle I came across was the t-fitting for the oil line input to the turbo. The block is pipe-threaded, but the outside diameter of the hole in the block is just a hair smaller than the fitting I got with my kit. It wouldnt screw in. I stopped at the local Hot Rod shop and searched with them through their various fittings with no success. In the end I had to use an 1/8" pipe tap to open the hole in the block a tiny bit. This also worked fine with no leaks. I wish I wouldnt have had to do that though, but we couldnt come up with any other options at the time. I havent read anyone having this problem before, maybe I did something wrong or its a difference only local to the '07 model, dont know.

5. Same thing on the AC line as everyone else, its pretty close. I just used to heat wrap for now, but will end up having it cut and re-welded over a bit.

Overalll im pretty happy with how the install went. the car runs great, even with it running rich. I have only the 5 PSI spring in it at the moment. My gauges did not arrive when I planned so I am running blind on A/F R's right now. The car threw 2 codes one was for the car running rich and the other was for the bank one (s-pipe sensor I think) was indicating a vaccuum leak. Sorry on the second one I misplaced the description of it that they printed out for me, might seem vague. Besides the car running really rich everything seems to be working well.

I used a Greddy Profec Controller. It helped out quite a bit.

Here are a few pics of the almost finished product.

If you have any questions I will do my best to answer them.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

nice man hope everything turns out fine, just dont run it hard yet till everything is set up. And hey love your wheels, 19s?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice setup looks real sharp.
couple of ?'s
1. Are you eventually going to run an ems even though on the website they recommend not to?
2. Was it just you doing the install or did you have help?
3. What did you use to cut away at the front bumper?

All in all it looks real good. Have you thought about using a dress up kit for the exposed vaccum and oil line? Might just give you an edge at the next show...?

interested in some numbers, get that badboy to a dyno after you get your gauges....
Old 07-29-2007, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Holly Bass Batman

Nice turbo kit. Looks good
Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by gofastC
Nice setup looks real sharp.
couple of ?'s
1. Are you eventually going to run an ems even though on the website they recommend not to?
2. Was it just you doing the install or did you have help?
3. What did you use to cut away at the front bumper?

All in all it looks real good. Have you thought about using a dress up kit for the exposed vaccum and oil line? Might just give you an edge at the next show...?

interested in some numbers, get that badboy to a dyno after you get your gauges....
Yeah Ace they are 19's.

I have the AEM boost and A/F R gauges on the way, I am still somewhat skeptical on not using a traditional needle gauge, but I like the look and thought I would give them a try. I plan on putting the AEM Piggyback on and moving up to the 7-8 PSI range on boost. Treadstone does state on the site that the kit does not "need" fuel management, which so far for my car has been true. BUT the inside of my exhaust pipe is black from the car running so rich. So yes, it works without EMS, but to lean it out I imagine an EMS is the only way go.

Me and two buddies put the kit on, two of us have never installed a turbo before so it was a new experience for both of us. We did however do it at our shop. We both are car audio installes and tinters there. We have a pretty decent selection of tools and some years experience working on cars. The third of us has past experience with turbos and special thanks to him for all the retarded questions I had to ask him and the great council he gave with this project. It was possible to do without previous knowledge of turbo installs if you have the ability to understand the way things work.

The crash bar indeed needed to be cut. We tried to cut it ourselves. First the airsaw, haha yeah right that was getting us nowhere fast. Then used the air hammer with a metal cutting bit in it. That lasted about 4 inches and then it bound up and broke the bit. In the end we took off the crash bar which is easily removeable and ran it to a local welding shop marked it and they plasma cut it for me.

The front bumper/ground effects we just used an air saw to cut it. Again it was a bit of a pain, but worked out. I need to finish off the cut edges to smooth them out still.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks great!
You planning on putting it on the dyno and/or taking it to the track?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Looks great!
You planning on putting it on the dyno and/or taking it to the track?
Yes, once my gauges are in im planning to run a dyno for an as-is bolt on no tuning test. then once I have the F/I C installed ill tune and re run dyno to give a comparison.

By the way I also have a Magnaflow cat-back on it.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice. I'll let you know how easy my tuner says the F/IC is to work with.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: Another Treadstone kit

You're car looks sick dude. those wheels are real nice.
Originally Posted by Washoutx
4. The biggest hurdle I came across was the t-fitting for the oil line input to the turbo. The block is pipe-threaded, but the outside diameter of the hole in the block is just a hair smaller than the fitting I got with my kit. It wouldnt screw in. I stopped at the local Hot Rod shop and searched with them through their various fittings with no success. In the end I had to use an 1/8" pipe tap to open the hole in the block a tiny bit. This also worked fine with no leaks. I wish I wouldnt have had to do that though, but we couldnt come up with any other options at the time. I havent read anyone having this problem before, maybe I did something wrong or its a difference only local to the '07 model, dont know.
i got the treadstone kit too, i had the same problem, i got the supplied fitting from treadstone to thread in 1 or two times, so i ended up ordering 2 'T' fittings that work great ( http://www.eiptuning.com/ecomm/prodd...92-2-2S&cat=34 )

Good luck with the kit, now just get it tuned and post up some #'s
Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looking good man!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very clean.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:00 AM
SL Member

You know what I just got mine on about two weeks ago I had all the problems you did plus the fan hitting the turbo. The fitting problem really ____ed me off severly. When I called whoever answered (didnt ask for jason) said well it should. Well wtf do I say now......well it doesnt. In the end it would have been pointless to really complain since I wasnt going to wait for another fitting (prob send the same one) So I just made it work. Mine runs a little rough in idle with no leaks, but I think I am also going to go with a ems. Good luck with your kit though hope you like it as much a I do
Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ I guess all turbo installs have at least a fitment issue.. hmm might have to make a list of these so I would know what to expect when i'm ready to get mine..
Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Slvr06tC
You know what I just got mine on about two weeks ago I had all the problems you did plus the fan hitting the turbo. The fitting problem really ____ed me off severly. When I called whoever answered (didnt ask for jason) said well it should. Well wtf do I say now......well it doesnt. In the end it would have been pointless to really complain since I wasnt going to wait for another fitting (prob send the same one) So I just made it work. Mine runs a little rough in idle with no leaks, but I think I am also going to go with a ems. Good luck with your kit though hope you like it as much a I do
Good luck to you as well! Let me know what EMS you end up getting when you do. Mine doesnt seem to run rough at idle, but when I shift down and then into neutral coming to a stop light my rpms drop very low occasionaly, even with a stall once in a while. Doesnt bother me too much since I dont have an EMS yet and a simple clutch pop starts her right back up. But im very anxious to see what numbers I can get out of it with management and the cat-back.

I will have to say that the Magnaflow cat-back was really quiet to begin with and now with the turbo its very very quiet. So anyone wanting a lot of sound from their exhaust do some checking around. The sound of the Magnaflow is nice, but its too quiet now. Might see how it sounds with a straight pipe with the turbo on. It was too loud without the muffler before the turbo though, so I dont know. I just hate the raspy sound.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You have 6 subs in the back? How much does all that weigh? I mean I would imagine all that would be an addition 250lbs - 300+lbs

Very nice and clean set up though.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by MVPlaya
You have 6 subs in the back? How much does all that weigh? I mean I would imagine all that would be an addition 250lbs - 300+lbs

Very nice and clean set up though.
No, the three you see at the top are Boston's passive radiators. They are a tuneable and provide about a 3 Db gain coupled with the 10's. Yes it adds some weight, but on the bright side my Hotchkis springs were higher in the back than they were in the front and the extra sub/enclosure weight brought it down even. It added probably 150-200 lbs. But in reality the 200 lbs extra doesnt really change much performance-wise. If anything it probably helps with cornering with the extra weight in the rear end.

Once our painter gets done with the shops other demo car and I figure out what paint is going on the enclosure he will be painting it for me. Get rid of the Rage Gold look haha.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im pretty sure the added weight doesnt help with peformance lol
Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC
im pretty sure the added weight doesnt help with peformance lol
I hardly doubt anyone would be able to sit in the car and tell a noticable difference in acceleration or power from having the equivelent weight of an extra person the in car. But what I was refering to is the tC's having bad understeer when cornering. And yes, the weight in the rear would, if anyhting, help that a little.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 PM
SL Member

k i just got the same kit can you take pis of the fan fix
Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can u buy this kit?

Quick Reply: Another Treadstone kit