Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Any blown motors from F/I?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by msdbsptc
Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Ahh the joys of Scion Life...

Back on topic...
7-10psi is fine on a stock tC for daily driving. The best things you can do is get a good tune (11.5AFR or so) and pull some ignition timing back to help prevent detonation. Once past 10psi the motor doesn't explode/implode, but the piston rings start to wear out. The pistons are the weakest link on this car.

So yeah, 7-10psi (aka 220-280whp) is fine for a DD tC. Make sure you upgrade your clutch, and some Denso Ik22s are both great to have.

GL.
Thanks Joe good info.
No problem man.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member

Can we get a sticky announcement at the top that warns people talking about horsepower without a dyno chart or track times without a slip are going to get their feelings hurt? Yes there are some haters out there, but I think they're fewer than people would like to believe. It's simple, people want proof. If you show me ZPI made 500 whp on a block with pistons, I'll give them the respect that they they deserve.

Yes they deserve respect for what they've done for the Scion community, but I'm kinda tired that every thread that gets going about ZPI is supposedly this great witch hunt, and we're all haters and out to get them. If Jersey Mike or ZPI had posted the specific dyno of his car in that thread people would say, "Excellent! Cool! Way to go!". If you can talk to them rhythmnsmoke and try to get a dyno, if they have one, of this 500 whp run then that would be excellent and should stop the bickering. You can call me a hater if you wish, but I call myself a skeptic, and not just of ZPI. If people would just post with hard evidence more often, there would be a lot less fighting.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Back on topic everyone.. dont make our jobs harder than they have to be.. please keep the slander to PM's.. thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti
Back on topic everyone.. dont make our jobs harder than they have to be.. please keep the slander to PM's.. thanks.
slander on ScionLife??? nooooo I never see that stuff
Old 05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I pretend not too either.. but.. they beat me badly if I dont blow the wistle every once in a while.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti
they beat me badly.
i dont want to even know
Old 05-22-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just think theres is one point rythm needs to understand... Turbo Customs use to work for ZPI... Now I have made my point and I think his point clear...
Old 05-22-2006, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
Originally Posted by BlkSandPrlTurbotC
I think we should add Munch to "The Blacklist"
why cause he doesnt take **** from that friend of yours that half of his posts are useless and wont go away like a bad hemmroid?
Come on rythm every single post you have made since you got a turbo has been as useless as **** on a bull bro...enjoy the boost and keep your innacurate info to the local TN boards.
Munch can talk all the **** he wants because unlike most others on here, he has been there and done it with this car.

What, are you tracking all of my post or something dude. Take a flying....O nevermind, you and Munch were probably the reason they produced the movie Broke Back Mountain...
Old 05-22-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by -Keith-
I just think theres is one point rythm needs to understand... Turbo Customs use to work for ZPI... Now I have made my point and I think his point clear...

WOW, I think All of ScionLife knows that, thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why cause he doesnt take **** from that friend of yours that half of his posts are useless and wont go away like a bad hemmroid?
Come on rythm every single post you have made since you got a turbo has been as useless as **** on a bull bro...enjoy the boost and keep your innacurate info to the local TN boards.
Munch can talk all the **** he wants because unlike most others on here, he has been there and done it with this car.
Whats being there and doing that on his tC? Please enlighten me on that. Munch was going to get rid of his tC for a new Si...remember that post? I highly doubt Munch has gone through the same stuff I have gone through to get to this point I am at right now.

It just seems people who are now boosted have changed their attitude a bit. Dont make me bust out my backup car and start embarrassing people. I might have to start doing that b/c things are getting out of hand. yeah internals thats great...munch isnt the only one that has internal work done.

And I wanted Munch on the blacklist b/c well he's boosted, and everyone on that list is boosted. it was not a shot at him personally it was more of an invite to join up on the list
Old 05-22-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I think there are enough people on this board that give good information (everyones an expert). So, my purpose from here on out is to keep our car running prestine, run it hard, and provide people with something to look at (as I'm always posting vids win or loose). If I got it on tape, then I post it. I'm trying to have fun. Some of you take things so dog gone serious, or you make un-provoked personal attacks, that it just kills the thread, and the mods lock it up. I don't take **** from anyone either, so, if you fire one off at the mouth, don't expect me not to fire back. if I don't like you, I don't have a problem saying it. I'm going to keep doing what I do best, and that's to have fun.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Whats being there and doing that on his tC? Please enlighten me on that. Munch was going to get rid of his tC for a new Si...remember that post? I highly doubt Munch has gone through the same stuff I have gone through to get to this point I am at right now.

It just seems people who are now boosted have changed their attitude a bit. Dont make me bust out my backup car and start embarrassing people. I might have to start doing that b/c things are getting out of hand. yeah internals thats great...munch isnt the only one that has internal work done.

And I wanted Munch on the blacklist b/c well he's boosted, and everyone on that list is boosted. it was not a shot at him personally it was more of an invite to join up on the list

Yeah, but he never races anyone or accepts challenges from people. So, I would be surprised if he were to join in on the SL Cup Series Challenge.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Some of you take things so dog gone serious.
BINGO...RIGHT THERE.

WORDS I WAS LOOKING FOR

Old 05-22-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, but he never races anyone or accepts challenges from people. So, I would be surprised if he were to join in on the SL Cup Series Challenge.
True, but we'll leave him as is. If he doesnt want on it, thats fine. It was a friendly invite to him.

I like the list how it is even tho im surrounded by ZPI like 4 times on it *LOL*
Old 05-22-2006, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

True, but we'll leave him as is. If he doesnt want on it, thats fine. It was a friendly invite to him.

I like the list how it is even tho im surrounded by ZPI like 4 times on it *LOL*

Actually, that makes it better for you. You can have the Bragging rights saying you beat a ZPI Stage 1 car (IF such should happen.. ) LoL...Oh, I forgot to mention, there is another track that's open on Friday nights. It's a 1/8th track and it has time slips and what not. On Sat. the crappy track is open (the "ghetto" one I was talking about).

PS...I guess we should take this over to the SL CUP thread
Old 05-22-2006, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's more male flirting in this thread between rhythmnsmoke & BlkSandPrlTurbotC then there is in broke back mountain.

Keep it in the PMs, ladies.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off the the SI thing was scrapped far before it began. I never said I was the only person with interals here. I have no idea where you got that one from . Yes I have blown a motor to bits, but that was way before I went turbo . I have also blew apart a stage 3 SPEC clutch clutch, and yes this WAS after I had the turbo . You learn from disasters like those and you build a better car . Did I cry about it? No, the money was never an issue and I knew where to get another motor and spare tranny so I did. I put the sapre motor in my car and drove ot around. The other motor, I built from head to block and swaped it in my car when I was done. Now I'm not worried about anything letting loose in my car, and my redline is much higher than it used to be, thanks to my new valves, valve springs, ported head, and unichip reprogram . I have no desire to be on any blacklist . Just not worth my time. I hardley even race the car anymore. It's going through the show scene, snatching up best of show and 1st place trophies left and right. I have spoken my piece and that is all
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member

Again this is supposed to be a fight against other make and models.. not scion vs. scion.. we should be out getting the WRX's EVo's etc.. Settle down this is no knowledge contest.. They made this forum to have fun and tlak not to fight .. can we get back to topic
Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Wow Munch... Pretty built motor! That is one beast of a car What is the redline on that bad boy if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back on topic. There have been SEVERAL engines blown from FI. Mostly from turbo's for whatever reason but I have seen a SC setup with a blown engine as well. There is obviously only one SC setup so that is obvious and the turbo setups have come from multiple places.

I personally believe that the vast majority have come from one source, but I should point out as most of you know that ANY turbo setup can blow an engine. There are a HUGE number of variables that come into play when modding a car and even more when it involves a NA-T mod. Kit design, TUNE, boost pressure, back pressure, spark, fuel, weather conditions ect all play an intricate role in producing power and whether or not its SAFE power.

Also, with the increasing number of engines that have had issues resulting in rods knocking with no modifications at all, its hard to place blame anywhere in some cases. In others its very appearent where the fault lies.

Charles

Quick Reply: Any blown motors from F/I?