Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Any methanol injection for the future?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
some people are doing a lot more work then what they are saying - which isnt breaking any rules ...but it would be nice to know when people make their cars as nice as that.
In Maryland about 6 weeks ago.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member

http://media.putfile.com/Picture-07852

I like this video too..
Old 12-31-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kirill
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a130/Kirill1st/Picture072.jpg

I got one
Isn't that the electric supercharger??
Old 12-31-2005, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member

Yes it is.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

has anybody heard of using prestone deicer washer fluid with their methanol injection? A friend of mine told me that ripp mods said to use this instead of the 49/51% methanol mix. Has anybody heard of this? or....that the new kits use the windshielf tank as what holds the prestone liquid so it can be used for both the windows and injection kit?

also ...my friend said that some other injection kits cost a few thousand dollars. The stage II kit with this one only costs $399? .... are we talking about the same quality product? If so ..what would I need .... snowperformance stage I or II? Is there another kit that would be better for a price around theirs? I know very little about this type of injection but would like to learn more. Does anybody know the HP gains with such a product on an engine like the tCs
Old 01-03-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Using any sort of washer fluid is a bad idea because most of them have some sort of detergent in them. Among other things that you would most likely not want to inject into your engine. This might work to an extent on the cooling aspect, but the octane rating of methenol is what allows you to run more timing and in the end make much more power.

Charles
Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a prototype Snow Performance system on the tC as a N/A. A plate was machined to fit between the plumm and the throttle body and is about ¾ of an inch think. It has an injector in the plate that can be changed, there is a solenoid to keep the system from having back pressure coming through the pump. It has a MAF unit, this one is based on voltage for the tC, some are frequency for other car companies.

The tC has a 80 whp injector in it, it “appears” to make some difference when in use. When I was on the dyno testing the ZPI s-pipe the injection system made only about 1, maybe 2 whp on the dyno. It was hard to say as the engine was already hot and losing horse power. If I had changed to the 175 whp injector and retuned the MAF unit we may have seen more of a gain at the wheels. The testing session was for the ZPI s-pipe not the injection system.

The Snow pump and tank are large and hard to find a place to mount, if you look at any pictures on the tC you will see the motor and tank through the front grille. I have spoken to Kenny at ZPI and will be changing the pump out to a smaller higher quality pump, likely an SMC system. We will see how much of a difference it makes on the ZPI stage 1 kit that is going on the tC.

As to fluid, I use a -32 degree washer fluid, which has a high concentration of methanol and add one bottle of HEET to each gallon.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

ugh - for such a small hp its not worth it but with a stage1 turbo or supercharger the #'s are going to go up without a doubt. My friend says that he can feel a difference when he uses it but you never know whats mental and whats reality.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tC does about 165 whp, with the proper tuning and the correct injector it may be possible to get 5 to 10 whp. I have not specifically done this yet, before I do the ZPI turbo I may have time to change the injector out to the 175 and have it tuned on the dyno.

Let’s say that most methanol kits sell for about $300, let’s say that you get 5 to 10 whp. Compared to other bolt on performance parts currently being sold it is comparable with cost vs whp gains.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

for the money that sounds good but throughout years of filling it up...thats a different story
Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Water injection works much better on high compression N/A cars that require higher octane to keep from knocking.

Same premise on turbo/supercharged cars.

Its very effect and allows you to run much more boost than you could on regular pump high test fuel.

Its basically very good racing gas in a water tank when mixed with your fuel.

Don't question it, just get it. That is if you want to make more power, even at stock boost levels.

I don't live under the hood of a tC so I can't comment on mounting issues. But the Devil's Own Kits are very well made.

They are very common on Supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix GTP's and other factory supercharged and turbocharged cars.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dj4monie
Water injection works much better on high compression N/A cars that require higher octane to keep from knocking.

Its very effect and allows you to run much more boost than you could on regular pump high test fuel.

Don't question it, just get it. That is if you want to make more power, even at stock boost levels.

I don't live under the hood of a tC so I can't comment on mounting issues. But the Devil's Own Kits are very well made.

They are very common on Supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix GTP's and other factory supercharged and turbocharged cars.
Water injection works great for dropping IAT's but it doesnt allow you the comfort or freedom to run much more boost and timing as Meth injection does. Methenol itself has an octane rating of around 120. Not only does the water meth mix cool the IAT's but the meth actually adds octane, which allows you to run more timing safely, which is where the majority of the power increase comes from.

Charles
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by TurboCustomz
Originally Posted by dj4monie

Water injection works great for dropping IAT's but it doesnt allow you the comfort or freedom to run much more boost and timing as Meth injection does. Methenol itself has an octane rating of around 120. Not only does the water meth mix cool the IAT's but the meth actually adds octane, which allows you to run more timing safely, which is where the majority of the power increase comes from.

Charles
yea....just dont run out by mistake and keep beating on your car. I know the driver would prob feel a difference and my friend likes his kit ...but i dunno.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is the cost of refilling the methanol over time?

Methanol is an inefficient fuel because it costs far too much to yield not enough power, but as an additive, how cost effective is that?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
What is the cost of refilling the methanol over time?

Methanol is an inefficient fuel because it costs far too much to yield not enough power, but as an additive, how cost effective is that?
Methenol injection yeilds a LOT of power, its inefficient because you have to run so much richer if you convert to an all meth system. You would be looking for 9.*:1 afr's instead of 11.*:1. A 55 gallon drum of meth will run about 135 dollars, so all in all, its not that expensive, and when you mix it 50/50 with that water, the cost decreases even more.

Usage/cost really depends on the driver and his/her driving habits. Obviously, if you ream on your car all the time, you are going to use more meth, and therefore cost yourself more money. On a boosted scion tC, it actually proves to be a VERY cost effective way to make more power based on the cost/hp ratio, as it does on many cars.

Charles
Old 01-04-2006, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I’m new to this, if you’re doing daily driving the methanol is not used/needed to cool the intake charge. I suspect that it would only be needed when boost was raised to a much higher level to cool the intake charge and reduce the chances of detonation.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScottsdaleTC
I’m new to this, if you’re doing daily driving the methanol is not used/needed to cool the intake charge. I suspect that it would only be needed when boost was raised to a much higher level to cool the intake charge and reduce the chances of detonation.
Most of the meth kits come with a map type sensor, or some sort of MAF voltage signal interceptor, that only turns on the meth under a pre-set condition. I.E. at a certian boost level and above. The Snow Performance kit is also set up to progressively increase the amount of meth injected over the set boost range.

You can see the same benifits on a daily driven car. The power gains from using a meth kit come from being able to run more boost and timing on pump gas. You are not going to see a huge difference on 6lbs no. With the meth there though you might be able to run 10 or 11 lbs and you are obviously now going to see a much larger gain in power because of that. It all depends on the particular car and gas used. You are once again with this, searching for the point where your car starts detonating, and trying to supress it.

Charles
Old 01-05-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did someone just say "electric supercharger"....?
Old 01-05-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

but then you have to make sure the kit is running right and need gauges to make sure things arent getting too hot etc etc. ...im sure its fun but i dunno. Im a lot more interested in seeing the #'s that the I/C is going to produce.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yeah I was kinda waiting to see if anyone else ha goo results on the TRD s/c with meth injection. I can't decide wether I want the cooling mist system, snow perf, or ripp mods. That and I am afraid of creating a monster as far as maintenance goes.

Quick Reply: Any methanol injection for the future?