Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Anybody Running a Dog Box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:49 AM

Default Anybody Running a Dog Box?

New to the Scions and am wondering what kind of hp the stock tranny's will hold, and what sorts of things are out there to help/replace the stock parts?
Also, anyone running a dog box?

Thanks

Erik
Old 01-31-2008, 03:41 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i doubt anyone on here even knows what a dog box is. the tC really isnt a good enough platform to justify a $10,000+ transmission.

the stock clutch cant hold much power...but after upgrading that you'd probably be snapping axles before killing the tranny.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:53 PM

Wow, I figured if honda's are using them, so would toyota. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are you running now that you might need a dog box? I haven't seen a tC that needs that strong of a trans or "needs" a faster shift
Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Erikos
dog boxes are really intended for motorsports. so if you have seen any streetable FWD econobox with a dog box installed it really doesnt make much sense. you figure after the cost of the tranny and install you pretty much paid as much as the car cost new. and with a FWD platform being inferior to AWD and RWD then whats the point?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are a few with dog cut gears running around.

Most are not street cars, but I know of one

Just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

If you have taken the right steps to be able to rev the motor..upwards of 8K , some tranny work is a must. Just depends on how you use the car

Regards-

Todd
Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by dex
dog boxes are really intended for motorsports. so if you have seen any streetable FWD econobox with a dog box installed it really doesnt make much sense. you figure after the cost of the tranny and install you pretty much paid as much as the car cost new. and with a FWD platform being inferior to AWD and RWD then whats the point?
Obviously no one with a stock car would need this, but this is the forced induction section, surely someone has to be making 500+hp and not just doing low boost, stock pistons etc.
The dollars spent per cost of car might seem logical..... but look around, many people spend more on mods than the original car, thats all part of the fun, otherwise we would all just go buy a M3, Viper, or Porsche...
I guess the scion perfromance market has a ways to go to catch honda.

Thanks the input.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, 318_tc made 454 whp with a turbo and stock head, upgraded clutch, like a stage 5 or 6, and reinforced drive axles. don't know how much he did to the engine, but i dont' think he did anything to the tranny other than an LSD.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dex

as far as i know a "dog box" is just a set of gears and a diff,that is installed into your factory case.not a new trans,so theres no trans to buy.and a complete setup for a integra gsr trans is 5k,i couldnt see a tc trans being much more than that.i know of 4-5 local guys running that exact setup on the street in there sfwd cars.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
well, 318_tc made 454 whp with a turbo and stock head, upgraded clutch, like a stage 5 or 6, and reinforced drive axles. don't know how much he did to the engine, but i dont' think he did anything to the tranny other than an LSD.
Did he have reinforced axles? Sorry to get off topic?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
i think he did, i mean with that much horsepower, and the 12 second 1/4 mile time he did, i would imagine he would need'em.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think he did, i mean with that much horsepower, and the 12 second 1/4 mile time he did, i would imagine he would need'em.
I dont believe he tracked his car with 454... he ran 12.7 with his original dezod kit.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Anybody Running a Dog Box?

New to the Scions and am wondering what kind of hp the stock tranny's will hold, and what sorts of things are out there to help/replace the stock parts?
Also, anyone running a dog box?

Thanks

Erik

Well i know that our stock transmissions held up to over 750hp. We have used dog gears in the past in our sfwd car, but the stock gears seem to last longer.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by polishstud
Well i know that our stock transmissions held up to over 750hp. We have used dog gears in the past in our sfwd car, but the stock gears seem to last longer.
Seem to?? Whose dogs were you running that didn't last as well as stock gears with 750hp?????
There is no way stock gears would hold up as well as a good dog set with that kind of hp and full rpm shifts, not a chance.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seem to?? Whose dogs were you running that didn't last as well as stock gears with 750hp?????
There is no way stock gears would hold up as well as a good dog set with that kind of hp and full rpm shifts, not a chance.
I would listen to ScionCREW, if I were you Erikos. Ill let you guess why..... [/quote]
Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by dex
Obviously no one with a stock car would need this, but this is the forced induction section, surely someone has to be making 500+hp and not just doing low boost, stock pistons etc.
The dollars spent per cost of car might seem logical..... but look around, many people spend more on mods than the original car, thats all part of the fun, otherwise we would all just go buy a M3, Viper, or Porsche...
I guess the scion perfromance market has a ways to go to catch honda.

Thanks the input.

The tC tranny can handle 500hp. The synchros are more or less a problem though for people who shift without lifting...
Old 02-01-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm pretty sure he did not. And he didn't have an LSD yet either. On another note, you don't need upgraded axles to run 12's. I'm pretty sure you can break 11's without needed axles. Just good driving skills.

12.1 has been done with the stock axles.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by polishstud

You are talking to a drag team. I'm pretty sure they have done the research and drag passes to back up what they are saying.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
You are talking to a drag team. I'm pretty sure they have done the research and drag passes to back up what they are saying.
I can beleive, I am more curious as to who made the dog gears that were outlasted by the stock gears.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^I would like to know who makes Anything for our tranny. As mentioned, the tranny holds more than 99% of us probably will ever be running on the streets, but I have had to replace my tranny 2 times due to synchros going out. My boy Rich had to have his sync's rebuilt as he lost 3, and 5th gear and he just has a S/C'er on his car.

Quick Reply: Anybody Running a Dog Box?