Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Anybody Running a Dog Box?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

damn travis, how much did that cost?! and when did that happen?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Oh, man that was some time ago. Used 2005 tranny with 26 miles on it, $500 bucks. So, not to bad. I have replaced 3 clutches and two tranny's in this car.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Anybody Running a Dog Box?

Originally Posted by Erikos
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
You are talking to a drag team. I'm pretty sure they have done the research and drag passes to back up what they are saying.
I can beleive, I am more curious as to who made the dog gears that were outlasted by the stock gears.

If your looking for dog gears for you car i can help you with that. The only reason i say that stock last longer is there is alot of maintenance in the dog gears.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

I am running a comp clucth stage 5 I was told its good for well over any thing a tc motor can put out. rhythmnsmoke is right most tc r in the 250whp to 300whp range.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ScionCREW
If your looking for dog gears for you car i can help you with that. The only reason i say that stock last longer is there is alot of maintenance in the dog gears.
Must have been a daily driven car, which would make sense for the wear and maintenance, but at the drag strip it has to hurt to run syncros.

Thanks for the input all, I was seeing if you all were running enough hp and having enough problems to warrent upgraded gears, but it seems that not enough of you are there and those who are don't really want them.
Congrats to Toyota, who apparantly made a box that has no problems with 300-750hp.

If anyone has a need for upgraded gears let me know.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:42 PM
dex
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by darkscion
Originally Posted by dex
Wow, I figured if honda's are using them, so would toyota. Thanks for the info.
dog boxes are really intended for motorsports. so if you have seen any streetable FWD econobox with a dog box installed it really doesnt make much sense. you figure after the cost of the tranny and install you pretty much paid as much as the car cost new. and with a FWD platform being inferior to AWD and RWD then whats the point?

as far as i know a "dog box" is just a set of gears and a diff,that is installed into your factory case.not a new trans,so theres no trans to buy.and a complete setup for a integra gsr trans is 5k,i couldnt see a tc trans being much more than that.i know of 4-5 local guys running that exact setup on the street in there sfwd cars.
your right...technically "dog boxes" are just a set of gears with "dogs" that fit into slots on the receiving gear eliminating the use of synchros. but the term "dog box" is also slang for the sequential transmissions found in road racing and rally...which is what i thought he was referring to.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dex
Originally Posted by darkscion
Originally Posted by dex
Wow, I figured if honda's are using them, so would toyota. Thanks for the info.
dog boxes are really intended for motorsports. so if you have seen any streetable FWD econobox with a dog box installed it really doesnt make much sense. you figure after the cost of the tranny and install you pretty much paid as much as the car cost new. and with a FWD platform being inferior to AWD and RWD then whats the point?

as far as i know a "dog box" is just a set of gears and a diff,that is installed into your factory case.not a new trans,so theres no trans to buy.and a complete setup for a integra gsr trans is 5k,i couldnt see a tc trans being much more than that.i know of 4-5 local guys running that exact setup on the street in there sfwd cars.

your right...technically "dog boxes" are just a set of gears with "dogs" that fit into slots on the receiving gear eliminating the use of synchros. but the term "dog box" is also slang for the sequential transmissions found in road racing and rally...which is what i thought he was referring to.

oh,my bad.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Originally Posted by draxcaliber
well, 318_tc made 454 whp with a turbo and stock head, upgraded clutch, like a stage 5 or 6, and reinforced drive axles. don't know how much he did to the engine, but i dont' think he did anything to the tranny other than an LSD.
Did he have reinforced axles? Sorry to get off topic?
i think he did, i mean with that much horsepower, and the 12 second 1/4 mile time he did, i would imagine he would need'em.

I'm pretty sure he did not. And he didn't have an LSD yet either. On another note, you don't need upgraded axles to run 12's. I'm pretty sure you can break 11's without needed axles. Just good driving skills.

12.1 has been done with the stock axles.
Garabaldy is running 12.8's on stock axels.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Must have been a daily driven car, which would make sense for the wear and maintenance, but at the drag strip it has to hurt to run syncros.

Thanks for the input all, I was seeing if you all were running enough hp and having enough problems to warrent upgraded gears, but it seems that not enough of you are there and those who are don't really want them.
Congrats to Toyota, who apparantly made a box that has no problems with 300-750hp.

Toyota has had a pretty good history with tranny's
Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I take it you work with production of dog boxes etc?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Resu
So I take it you work with production of dog boxes etc?
No, but have a good source that can make just about anything dog or synchro top of the line gearsets, but it doesn't sound like the Scion crew has much need for this. Props to Toyota.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Erikos
I'm sorry but i thought you were looking for gears not trying to sell gears. I already have a source for gears, but i would like to get a quote from your source. Please PM me with quote.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

^^I would like to know who makes Anything for our tranny. As mentioned, the tranny holds more than 99% of us probably will ever be running on the streets, but I have had to replace my tranny 2 times due to synchros going out. My boy Rich had to have his sync's rebuilt as he lost 3, and 5th gear and he just has a S/C'er on his car.
I have the same problem on mine too.

I just have to swap in the spare I have.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

dog box anyone?

JK

if you can make anything for our trannies a taller final drive would be awesome, and many people on here would kill for one!
Old 05-02-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ippskidder
^^I would like to know who makes Anything for our tranny. As mentioned, the tranny holds more than 99% of us probably will ever be running on the streets, but I have had to replace my tranny 2 times due to synchros going out. My boy Rich had to have his sync's rebuilt as he lost 3, and 5th gear and he just has a S/C'er on his car.
I have the same problem on mine too.

I just have to swap in the spare I have.

Is there such a thing as beefier Synchros (i.e. made out of stronger material or something)? If I could have those, it would be optimal for a street application that has enough power and crazy enough driver to break the syncrhos.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you could have them cryo'd
Old 05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^You think? Might have to look into something like that.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC tranny can handle 500hp. The synchros are more or less a problem though for people who shift without lifting...
Do you mean that you shift without using the clutch pedal? If so then it is no wonder your synchros have gone out lol...
Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged

The tC tranny can handle 500hp. The synchros are more or less a problem though for people who shift without lifting...
Do you mean that you shift without using the clutch pedal? If so then it is no wonder your synchros have gone out lol...

No, I use the clutch. Power shifting is never taking your foot off the gas. That's shifting without lifting.

Shifting without lifting provides benefits in keeping the turbo at peak boost. If you have a boost gauge, and you shift normal, you will see the boost drop, and then have to build back up. If you are Power shifting however, all you are going to see is a blip of the needle, and when you catch that next gear, there is no "building" of boost, as you don't drop in boost due to keeping your foot planted on that gas.

That's how I break synchros. However, my boy with the TRD S/C'er and every bolt-on had his 3rd gear synchro and 5th go out and he doesn't power shift. He's a little rough on shifting, but he doesn't power shift.

Power shifting is also referred to as "flat" shifting.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by t_urbo_C_harged

No, I use the clutch. Power shifting is never taking your foot off the gas. That's shifting without lifting.

Shifting without lifting provides benefits in keeping the turbo at peak boost. If you have a boost gauge, and you shift normal, you will see the boost drop, and then have to build back up. If you are Power shifting however, all you are going to see is a blip of the needle, and when you catch that next gear, there is no "building" of boost, as you don't drop in boost due to keeping your foot planted on that gas.

That's how I break synchros. However, my boy with the TRD S/C'er and every bolt-on had his 3rd gear synchro and 5th go out and he doesn't power shift. He's a little rough on shifting, but he doesn't power shift.

Power shifting is also referred to as "flat" shifting.
I learn something everyday on here, lol.

I never power____ either, and my trannys is screwed up.

Quick Reply: Anybody Running a Dog Box?