Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Anyone build a custom turbo setup?? Or do you all rock kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's kind of the problem with me. I don't want to run anything too small and have a hard time trying to beat a stock str4. I think I want something in the 275 range. Anything more than that will probably cost a lot of money with all of the upgrades that will be needed. Apparently the stock motor will be able to handle this power with no problems, and I realize this is not a car that is meant for racing.

I kind of want some extra power to play around with and want to enhance the looks and sound. I have a custom 2.5 inch exhuast from the stock manifold all the way back, so I'm thinking a custom downpipe shouldn't be too bad. There are a couple manifolds that seem pretty good. As for the intercooler I heard the ebay universal ones are alright, but I'd kind of rather go with brand name. I figure I can get those pipe put together at this exhaust shop because I am sure some will be needed with a universal kit.

As for the BOV, I forget what the name of this one is that I really like. It kind of flutters but it's high pitched, its hard to describe. As for the turbo I haven't decided yet. I just want some ball bearing that spools fast (plus a 275 hp turbo isnt too big anyhow). As for the intake I guess I could just have that pipe bent as well and just stick a nice flowing filter on the end and include a hole for the maf.

As for the fuel management I still have to read up a little on what my best option is based on price and features.

Other than that it's pretty much some miscellaneous stuff I need to pick up, and run some gauges to monitor everything and get an upgraded clutch.

I figure this will come out a little cheaper than going with a kit like the zpi 1 or the turbonetics, and it will put up similar numbers. Plus it will be custom and I can get everything exactly as I want it.

I'm planning on running this custom to make huge power (I know this is what most of the custom guys are going with), but I am doing it to be a little different and save a few bucks and learn a lot more about cars...

JOE
Old 07-04-2007, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a completely custom turbo set up that i created. I am a college students age But i am in the Air Force.

As for the Ball Bearing that is not needed the amount of time you save on spool you will never notice it. As for the Maf you can have it after the turbo it is not bad for it to see bost. A maf set at that position is called a blow threw tube perfectly fine. As for engine management you will want to use Unichip. If you have any questions on any parts or anything else like that feel free to PM me i have done all of my own R&D and have figured out different setups to produce different amounts of power. So yea Feel free to PM me with any question.

-Steve AKA (Turbo Steve)
Old 07-04-2007, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bluesciontc
I have a completely custom turbo set up that i created. I am a college students age But i am in the Air Force.

As for the Ball Bearing that is not needed the amount of time you save on spool you will never notice it. As for the Maf you can have it after the turbo it is not bad for it to see bost. A maf set at that position is called a blow threw tube perfectly fine. As for engine management you will want to use Unichip. If you have any questions on any parts or anything else like that feel free to PM me i have done all of my own R&D and have figured out different setups to produce different amounts of power. So yea Feel free to PM me with any question.

-Steve AKA (Turbo Steve)
How do you know he has a unichip tuner around him?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are more unichip tuners then you think out there. You go on the unichip web site and look for it. Also the Greddy emanage sux ___. If you want a good tune for the Toyota ECU you will get a Unichip, and maybe have to drive a lil bit to get there but it will be worth it.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't unichips come plug and play out of the box or is it necessary to tune. I mean I think the base is made for turbo applications but it has to be tweaked to the specifics of the car...

And yea I guess a ball bearing turbo isnt necessary for such a small turbo as I plan on running. I guess I could save a few bucks going without one. I guess the additional money isnt worth it as spooling time wont really be an issue and proper cooling methods by letting it run after I push it hard will be able to take care of the other benefits of a ball bearing...

but as for the rest of you guys, this isnt just about my kit. I want to hear what you're running and any problems you've had and what you would change if you did it again, or what you're really happy with.

JOE
Old 07-04-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What they mean by plug and play is that you dont have to cut into the factory harness. the clips just plug in. It comes with a base map for the STOCK car not moded car. It is by far the best tunning device for the tC out there. The Greddy ____-Manage sux ___ for toyota ECU's
Old 07-04-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought they came mapped for a general 8 psi turbo setup for the car. That's what I thought they meant by plug and play, but I guess not...

Anyways I still have to look more into what I want to do with my setup, I'm kind of just throwing out some ideas I have...

Any one else care to share?

JOE
Old 07-04-2007, 09:40 PM
SL Member

sit down and plan everything out.

1. how much money are you willing to spend?
2. what are your power goals?
3. what type of activities do you want to do with your car? ie drag, auto-x, full road corse time attack, or just whipin through traffic...
4. between what rpm do you want the meat and potatos of you powerband to be?
5. how skilled are you at making your own kit.

its not allways cheaper to make your own setup. answer these questions and i'll have a better understanding of what setup would be good for you.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people do custom setups not to save money by any means. Money is only half of the issue. The other half of the issue can affect money. the other half is time. Most people that but a off the self kit do it mainly for simplicity. Call this place or that order the kit and other parts needed (guages and whatnot) then wait for the parts while you drive your car around. When the parts show up, you install them, tune the car and hopefully roll on. Sometimes that is hit or miss as well.

Custom kits take more time and money than most think. It you are planning on making a custom exhaust manifold, figure out how much you think it will cost to build, then you double it especialy if it is your first manifold.

The time it takes to make a custom manifold for most is not worth it. I built a custom turbo manifold today for a TC and it took about 4 hours. Not bad but even me a guy who does this all day, even scraped the first one i made (time/money). Then you still have to make the custom downpipe/s pipe/exhaust, intake pipe, hot and cold charge pipes, oil feed and return lines and several other things depending on the size of the turbo.

Even though i didnt answer the initial question of what parts, maybe you see more of why someone would use a off the shelf kit.

Rule of thumb i go buy on a (custom) turbo setup is take the price you think it will cost and the time you think it will take and you then double it. Not always the case but more than not.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is the thread i put up on YSTC.ORG it is every step i have taken in my custom set up journey. it only costed me 8,030 bucks with every thing. (that includes built motor) So it is cheaper in some cases.

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/in...pic=16031&st=0