Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ANYONE HAVE A WARRANTY CLAIM ON AN ENGINE WITH METAL SHAVI..

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default ANYONE HAVE A WARRANTY CLAIM ON AN ENGINE WITH METAL SHAVI..

Curious of anyone has had a warranty claim because of metal shavings in the oil pan, scored cylider walls or worse ..? I noticed somthing odd on the 07 engine I tore down the other day "building it for more boost... weeeee" Anyways there is a large hole that is bored long ways through the block under the cylinder walls. Were toyota bored this hole, on one side they cleaned up and deburred the holes On the other there were large, and I mean over 2-4mm large thin flakes of alumunum jetting off the edges. If any of those or a lot of those came off, I can definitly see a major issue, walls being scored, cam journals being torn etc.. oil pump screen would catch the larger ones but the small ones could possibly slip by.

I am in Miami for work right now so cannot take pics until this weekend, but really surpised me. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this..?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the answer is 42.....

haven't seen anything on an 05, keep us posted and some pics if you get a chance. if the 05's are burdened by this, that may have caused my turbo to go out.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think I remember reading some 05 and 06 motors having those flakes. I would bet that a lot of people have this problem and not know it.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a thread here over a year ago, where Scion/Toyota tried to blame one guy's engine failure on metal flakes in the pan, but they were attempting to deny the claim by attributing it to the guy's Injen intake, saying the particles came from it's aluminum tube. Don't recall whether or not they did a metal analysis or not to determine exactly where they came from, but it goes to show you that they'll try to blame everything on any aftermarket parts, and leave it to the customer to prove them wrong, which is practically impossible.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah I heard about that, the flakes were in the pan or intake track..? *LOL* how would they make it to the bottom end if they came from the intake, that is funny. Damn idiots, well some of them anyways. When I take pics, hope it will be the smoking gun for some people having probs. They are large flakes. Same type if you drill a hole and do not ream it out.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sigh, got an '06 here... i have been finding flakes in my oil, will the dealer just laugh at me and say that i am paranoid? If I take it in, should i take them some of the flakes, is this even covered under warranty (wear and tear)? Do you think the dealer would try charging me after they check it out?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have no idea to any of the questions you asked, Will post up pics and see what some dealers have to say.