Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Is anyone still running the Turbonetics kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had mine forever. Only replaced the turbo to a slightly larger .63 exhaust and tuned. Made great power and runs like a champ. The Unichip is fantastic if you have someone close that can tune it for you. Problem is there are only a few tuners. If you send it to Unichip and ask them to change your tune a bit they will. You need to remove ~5% fuel up to 3,500 rpms and add ~% above 4,500rpms. It will run great after that.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So you replaced the whole turbo or just changed the turbine housing for a larger a/r? How many pounds and do you have any numbers? I'm thinking I'm going to just change the turbine housing to a .82 a/r. On my E50.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I replaced the whole turbo. I think I paid ~700 for a garret 50 trim with stage 3 wheels and .63 AR. Get rid of the Turbonetics turbo ASAP. Before the tune I made 263whp and 278ft lbs. We made changes to the tune via street tuning so I think I made a bit more. I also added a 2.5" catless and s-pipe which seemed to wake up the tune quite a bit. I figure I am at around 280whp now.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 AM

This kit should bolt up to a 2010 with no problems right?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRTc
There's still a handful of people running the Turbonetics kit... like me! I've modified it, but it's still good in my opinion especially if you find a nice deal.

Things that I will mention...
I have a v1 kit sooooo
-Dump tube was a flex pipe that was broken when I bought the kit used so I got a new one refabbed (The v2 with the slip fit dump tube doesn't have problems with failure)

-Down pipe bracket that mounts to the existing OEM manifold bracket on the engine is slightly off (not sure if it's off on the v2 kit though)

-Although I have the v1 kit, the turbo that came with my used v1 kit was rebuilt with the water and oil cooled center housing with the water line kit. *Solely oil cooled E50 turbos had some tendencies to blow seals, but the water cooled ones are very reliable. I have almost 12k on my turbo running 12psi for the majority and have zero leaks or shaft play!

-I'm running the Dezod/APR X1 engine management system. Unless you have an available tuner that tunes the Unichip then I'd ditch it for an AEM FIC at the very least.

-For the record I'm running a TiAL wg, TiAL bov, and I modified the piping to run a blow-through set up while the rest is unchanged.

Hmmm... I think that's all I have to say really. If it's a good deal and you have a good tuner available to you then I say go for it! It's a really fun kit and at 12psi I was able to run 13.6s @111mph on stock wheels/tires. Any questions let me know...
I can vouch for this kit as I have seen it, helped it evolve and tuned it. Car moves nicely for the boost levels. You need to run at the 1320' again Brian with those 17x9s man!