Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Article in Turbo Performance "TRD Supercharger vs T-net

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member

Honestly gents , It all boils down to how do you like to drive and what kind of racing do you do? Then next what do you like the feel of better ? Supercharger? Turbo? Once youve answered those questions the question of which is better FOR YOU is answered. Then its time to start saving!
Old 03-07-2006, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06SuperWhite_SoCal_tC
They never ran a TurboCharged Top Fuel Dragster, so how could they have not kept up. You are mistaken and talking about other classes of Dragsters. also for refference the SuperCharger on Top Fuel Dragsters boost over 50psi, i think it may actually be 60psi. And i know Turbo Chargers are more efficient, but Top Fuel Dragters are The Fastest Cars in the World in the 1/4 Mile and Supercharged not Turbo. :D
That may be changing soon...

More pics: http://www.bullishmotorracing.com/ga...031905_006.htm

Of course something tells me they aren't going to let them run anywhere near the Domestic crowd.[/img]

BTW guess what kind of turbos Ara runs :D
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

haha...you can see the turbonetics logo right near the flange on the first turbos hot side
Old 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
haha...you can see the turbonetics logo right near the flange on the first turbos hot side
Old 03-08-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by desertheat

Also one point I felt annoyed with that turbonetics guy stated, he talked as if the sc was causing massive engine wear issues ALL THE TIME and always robbing HP from the engine, yes it does create some drag, but not the soap opera version of it.
What was stated was a correction to your original post that the S/C only causes wear on the engine when you were in boost and on the gas. That is not the case with S/C applications. The whole drawback to having a S/C is that it is always placing strain on the engine and taking power from the engine to drive the blower.

I felt that in my post I was making sure that everyone here had an opportunity to read facts not hype and rants about the benefits of running one form of forced induction vs. another. It seems that certain individuals have turned this into something much more than it originally started out to be. The post was started to share information, not praise one product over another. Peoples opinions are always going to remain diverse, and I think that people here are intelligent enough to gather all the information out there and make decisions on there own without having people trying to make up their minds for them.

If anyone out there thought that what I was saying was a sales pitch I apologize. It was not intended to be. I dont remember speaking about the great things our kit does over another, nor did I say bad things about the TRD kit. Just facts about superchargers/ turbos and corrrecting erroneous information.

Believe me, I could have posted anonymously and really laid the smack down but I chose to be up front with everyone about my place of work and be honest. I hope that ScionLife continues to be a great place to share info and opionions without people hating on products and getting in the way of good conversation and debates.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:24 PM

Also a little trivia for you about the NHRA/IHRA and turbocharged vehicles... and the NHRA/IHRA's actions.

In 1986 Buddy Ingersoll brought out his turbocharged Buick T-Type to run in ProStock. The turbocharged 1985 Buick Regal of Ingersoll was no doubt the most controversial Pro Stocker ever raced. It was so controversial that it was only allowed to run one race -- IHRA Bristol -- before it was axed. The turbocharged Regal of Ingersoll was one of Warren Johnson’s Hurst/Olds Cutlass reskinned with new panels. The car was built to race in NHRA’s Competition Eliminator where it ran so good they made a new class just for it. How it got to race in Pro Stock is different – the powers behind the scenes lobbied both NHRA and IHRA to make it legal. The argument was that the twin turbocharged Regal was closer to stock than any other Pro Stocker out there. IHRA decided to try it much to the chagrin of the other racers. The tryout race was at Bristol, a moderately high altitude track. Ingersoll got to the finals and went 7.20s. IHRA promptly outlawed the car from further Pro Stock races.

More currently the Turbonetics turbocharged Mustangs campaigned in NHRA competition by Jon Mihovetz BB/AT 6.83, 206.65 and John Gullett AA/AT 6.59, 217.75 are both record holders in their classes.

There are other factors as to why you have not seen turbocharged applications in TopFuel.
1. Mechanical fuel injection - Not the easiest thing to work with when turbocharging a vehicle. Until fuel injection makes its way into the NHRA big show I would not look for turbo dragsters. For those of you who know what a barrel valve is, try tuning a turbo/centrifugal blower setup with that.
2. Turbo Technology - Until the mid 80's turbochargers were not being applied to high performance race cars. The leaps that turbo design has taken over the past two decades is astonishing. Turbos now have the parts selection to better handle the high heat from the fuel and exhaust gas flow.
3. Politics/Money - Probably the biggest reason. I am sure you can read into this on your own. Until sponsors come in with enough power to change the establishment or until the racers themselves demand more performance and technology, fuel injection, turbos, etc. will stay on the outskirts of the NHRA Powerade drag racing world.

Interesting to note that in almost every drag racing class that turbochargers were allowed to compete in over the past 5 years, have won the class championship. There have been exceptions to the nitrous car of Billy Glidden and a handful of others. Or how about road racing? Pretty much locked up by turbo power.

What should be very exciting is to see the developments of PRO MOD and whether they will finally allow turbos to compete.