Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Basics of Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Default Basics of Tuning

Are there any good walkthroughs out there on the basics of tuning? I got my F/IC installed yesterday and am going to install my turbo in the next two weeks or so. I want to know the basics of where my AFR's should be set at idle, WOT, how gradually to transition the changes, etc. Is there any document out there with this information in it so that I can have a starting point for tuning my car myself?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The current issue of Sport Compact Car has a great article on tuning, albeit not specific to the tC. Unfortunately they don't appear to have it on their website, but maybe soon.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

aempower.com has a lot of very useful information. at idle, you want AFR's to be at about 14.7 WOT peffect would be about 11.5. TO be honest your best bet is to jsut get a base map and pay a proffessional to tune it man. You could risk harming the engine and it really should be done on the dyno THEN taken to the street for fine tuning.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There are some graet books out too, like "idiots guide to tuning"...no...seriously...
and there's another one...I think it's written by corky bell?
maximum Boost I think it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Modify-Managem.../dp/0760315825
Old 03-11-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks guys. I'll probably buy Maximum Boost and How to Tune EMS's in the near future. In looking at Amazon reviews, those look like the two to get. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 PM

never knew about that book... might have to check it out..

anyhoo,,, go here
http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php?board=89.0
there's LOTS of info on how to set it up and subtle tunning how tos all over that forum. i suggest you start with the sticky near the top for scion tc's. then work your way down the forum. you'll be in that forum for HOURS... its a freaking mind job trying to piece info together but i did it... you can pull off a safe reliable tune yourself, you'll just need to do alot of reading, its not that hard at all. to get you started with the right equipment, you'll need the FIC of course, a wideband, a laptop, and an OBDII scanner that'll tell you trims.

If you know nothing about turbos then i suggest you google "how turbos work" and read up on fuel trims, MAF sensors, MAP sensors (which the FIC has built in AWSOME), ignition timing, knock, and most importantly READ THE FIC INSTALLATION MANUAL. ive been seeing lots of post where people had problems because they didnt calibrate the FIC ... depending on how well versed you are on engines 101, there might be more you'll want to read up on.

hope this helps
(google is your friend)
good luck...
Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks siloex. I am well versed in the mechanics behind turbos, I just wanted more information on the tuning aspects. I have been pouring over the AEM Power forums for the past week or so looking at everything I could find regarding the F/IC and the tC. I've learned a lot and yes, I have read the installation manual cover to cover several times to make sure I know the mechanics behind that.

I have noticed that there isn't much info online about how to tune for people that have never done it before. I am a DIY'er and am excited to tune my car myself, but there is a bit of a gap in the area of getting started doing it. I will get the recommended books and continue searching on the web for more information.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:05 PM

i agree, would have made things easier without that gap. well hey, if you have the theory down all thats left is to get your hands dirty. trial and error(saftly that is). maybe Mr Meaty can hook you up with some sample maps. a few of them are totaly off but it'll give you a good foundation of how folks are going about their tunes. as far as A/F ratios, 11.5 is safe for 7psi. anything else i dont know. you'll have to monitor knock if going leaner. Also, you want to set your target A/F ratios depending on MAP. they're not determined by throttle. you probably already knew that. Oh and please correct me if im wrong, im under the impression that you would want to get a good street tune going then follow up with a dyno tune to get the best power out of your setup. news around town tells me that for an optimal tune, you'll want a load based dyno to tune with from the get-go if not street tuning at all.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Make sure things are smooth. Don't just look at the cells you are changing but the ones around it. Really there are so many things that vary when tuning that it is something bext learned from experience more than anything. Luckily since you are working with piggyback it isn't too bad. Standalone ECU is NOT something you want to tackle on your own without some experience and supervision.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Yea, I got the base maps from Meaty to look over and get a feel for what the map should flow like. I ended up finding the two books I was looking for at my local book store last night (the one about tuning and Ultimate Boost) so that should give me a good idea on how to do make sure I do everything right.

I guess my main question was low end tuning for efficiency in daily driving and where to start making it richer for boost.

And yes, I plan on street tuning it to get it close, then taking it to a dyno to get it dialed in.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

maximum boost doesnt really teach you how to tune, its more for an explanation of how turbo's work and how to properly setup a turbo for your specific motor application. Ive got a good book, its called "How to Tune and Modify Engine management systems"
Old 03-12-2008, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
maximum boost doesnt really teach you how to tune, its more for an explanation of how turbo's work and how to properly setup a turbo for your specific motor application. Ive got a good book, its called "How to Tune and Modify Engine management systems"
Yea, that's the second book I picked up last night. Flipped through it a bit before bed and will probably start reading it tonight.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by THansenite
Originally Posted by Simplyscion
Yea, that's the second book I picked up last night. Flipped through it a bit before bed and will probably start reading it tonight.
take your time with it...dont try to learn it all at once cause its a lot of info to take in at one time.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

^^^^ I agree... I have read both books and it is certainly alot of info.... but it think they give some great insight, your experience will help you learn how to apply the info you learn...