Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Benefits of being able to use stock ECU when F/I?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Benefits of being able to use stock ECU when F/I?

I was curious about learning as much as I can about the World Racing Turbo kit for the tC. If you have been living on Mars lately and not been checkin out the boards, this is a sick kit.. no numbers and pricing has been officially released, but rumor has it that its going to be cheaper than the Turbonetics kit.. would that be because it uses the stock ECU? Also, what are some of the benefits and disadvantages of having a kit that is able to use the stock ECU and put down 300, 400 & 500whp? Thanks guys/gals

Gotti
Old 05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Here is the link for the thread containing some of the first bits of information we were given.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Where are the dyno #'s posted, cause I haven't seen any?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agree with rhythmnsmoke dyno # and sheets
Old 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There are none, but they are saying that the S1=300whp, S2=400whp, S3=500whp.. or estimated whp. I haven't seen any sheets either, but I sure as helll cant wait.

Can anyone answer some of my questions?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hm pure speculation but iam guessing its good since you arent fooling the ecu meaning it wont fight a tune thats made by a hack and try to get back to what it should be stock. The bad is that if you want to upgrade a few parts for more hp or up the boost you dont have anything to add more fuel.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I dont understand what you mean I am still trying to learn this crap..
Old 05-17-2006, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member

looks like theyre runnin nos too
Old 05-17-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To me that nitrous is not good to run on f/i motor unless it runing in the intercooler, especially if u have 300whp on stock motor already, wonder what the shot is though?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it seems to be NX kit to me but....its NITROUS
Old 05-17-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer Stu's qusetion.(please correct me as go turbo gods) The tC uses the dbw system so with that said, the ecu tends to relearn its self. So anything you do itll try to compensate for it by trying to learn it. But if its something like bigger injectors or some upgradet ahts gonna require some more fuel, you will need an emanage of some sort to add a/f. Since the ecu is stubbron and doesnt want to do it. That is the manin disadvantage. The main advantage is that it learns, IE you put the zpi stage 0 in itll adjust it self to work with it properly since its not too much, you add i/h/e/p the ecu is like "hey more power time to work out" so its a double edge sword. Also unlike most cars you are not able to pull tming out or put timing in because teh ecu will just relearn its self and adjust it self back to stock.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, any ecu using a maf sensor can adjust to a degree, as it will detect the increased air and add fuel accordingly. The problem is that you can saturate the base fuel maps of the car if you go too much. Also, most ecu's will not properly adjust ignition timing on their own. And throwing in larger injectors without a management system will make the car run very rich since it will still run duty cycles according to stock injector size.

A reflashed ECU properly tuned for all it's attached components like injectors should be able to run without issue. If you go and change some components again then you would need a retune or a piggyback.

As for a piggyback ecu, the trick would be to not just vary maf inputs to alter air/fuel, but you will also have to intercept monitoring sensors (like the o2 sensor / air fuel meter) for the ecu to see stock-like values. This should prevent the ecu from trying to compensate for changes made by the piggyback unit.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so could u use a ZPI stage 0 for example wit the same size injectors from TRD supercharger kit then get ur ECU reflashed wit the supercharger specs or would it not run right?
Old 05-18-2006, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^I thought of the same thing and I believe someone actually did do it. But to be honest youd be wasting your time if you are gong to get bigger injector no point in getting 410s might as well go with 550s incase you want to up boost. And the flash is like 100 and you cant tune with it its a one time deal. Something like greddy manage would be better because you can always tune it diff and adjust.

It kinda works like this - stock ecu/flash best for the car but cant be adjusted if you want to chang ethe setting or add more parts
Piggybacks - great for tunning. But you are fooling the stock ecu meaning itll always try to fight the hack and go back to stock(might or might not have problems with it) Good for medium increase in power.
Standalone - best of both worlds tunes everything no fooling the stock ecu the standalone does all the thinking but its expensive. Great for high hp applications

Keep in mind these are only my understanding from reading and learning from people. For those wishing to learn more go to google and search for opinions some really great articles out there.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

speaking of 550cc's, do those Denso 550cc's on ebay fit our cars? how about the DSM 450's or 410's or whatever that all those people use on the hondas. what injectors fit the tc?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

injector is injector they fit every car to my knowledge, could be wrong i guess but havent heard of diff injectors up until now. The only you should worry abotu is the size of the injector for the fuel rail I think ours goes up to 650 after that you gota upgrade. DOnt know if you want to use those ebay injectors I try to stay away from all things ebay.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks guys
Old 05-18-2006, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Typhoon
injector is injector they fit every car to my knowledge, could be wrong i guess but havent heard of diff injectors up until now. The only you should worry abotu is the size of the injector for the fuel rail I think ours goes up to 650 after that you gota upgrade. DOnt know if you want to use those ebay injectors I try to stay away from all things ebay.
Ok cool. It's just that I'd hate to spend 400 on injectors if I know I can get them elsewhere for like 200 or something. Now that I know what you just said I could at least shop around when its time. I need to save on everything I can.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like they are running a tial BOV. Wonder if they are having issues? Seems like no.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tuning like rhythm said, if you want to upgrade past their turbo kit (i.e exhaust) you would have to get it retuned, and im sure there will be limited ECU tuners

Quick Reply: Benefits of being able to use stock ECU when F/I?