Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

which is better 16g or 20 g turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i know that thats why i was askin him wat he ran smart butt
Ahh, he thinks your smart!

Back on task, I would look at what you want to accomplish with your ride. Previously stated the 20g turbo will take a bit longer to spool, however it will provide more power overall in the end. The 16g turbo will spool quicker, but won't provide as much power in the end. Just depends what direction you want to go. My opinion, it is always a challenge with imports to gain on the low end becuse of the lack of tq in most motors. Hp is easier to gain with mods because of the way the engine is made. Just use toyota as an example, celica gts motor, 180hp, 123tq. Hondas/Acuras are the same (low tq, high hp). Stick with a quick spooler to gain more on the low end as much as possible, and then build up on the high end. Of course this is just my opinion.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To the thread starter...

I'd be a little nicer to the guys trying to help you out in attaining information about what turbo is better for your car.

If you soley want more top-end (drag and road race) then go for a 20G. If you mainly use yoru car on the street and autox, then a 16G is fine. To those who are on this board and know we sell a completely different turbo kit, please just stick to the info here.

If you plan on making more HP for the same boost, then a 20G would be better, but plan on sacraficing some spool-up time for it. This as a result, will feel a little bit slower in traffic or auto-x.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

AutoX'ing with the 16G will take some good driving skill to master those 2nd gear turns, as this turbine is ULTRA responsive on our 2.4L engines. I wouldn't mind trying out a 20G for those top End Street/Drag wars. The 20G's spool charactersitics I don't think are going to be Extremely different than the 16G. Top End wise as Kenny said the 20G will be significant. I would like to see what that significance is, as I know for a fact that the 16G's Top End is enough to pull on a Stock Evo 9 MR, so I can only imagine what the 20G is like.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for Drag racing 20g
for AutoX'ing 16g
It all the depends on your goals. Like everyone has been saying if you want to drag and have a good track time go with 20g if you want to autx-ing go with 16g, it will spool up quicker. Joe a.ka. Joe_Dezod has a thread that will give you all the information that you need to know about turbo.

Here is the link.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...125753&start=0
Old 01-09-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanx
Old 01-10-2007, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another suggestion from a previous Turbo owner. Either know how engines and turbos work, or have a lot of $$$. Stuff WILL go wrong with it and your car will need very close inspection on a weekly basis (if not daily basis) for it work well.
Nuts could come off the exhaust mani, bolts can come up and off from the head. The heat in the engine bay can cause all kinds of mess. Head gasket might need replacing. Hell, gaskets everywhere could go bad. Sensors will throw codes, and the fuel/timing being off could give you the biggest headache of your life. Plus you'll burn oil faster and there's a good chance your garage will forever have oil stains.

Sorry for the rant, but there are entirely too many people posting "y0 guyyyyz, I wanna make ma' car fAsT@!@" and think that if Paul Walker can do it, anyone can. Turbo cars are awesome, it would just be nice if those that do decide to go FI with their TC to know what they are doing and what they're getting into.