Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Blow Off Valve vs. Mass Airflow Sensor...DA DA DUMMMMMM

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i had the greddy rs, the car ran smooth. no stalling or anything.

i swapped it with the older (cooler lmao) greddy s, and it now has idle issues and a little delay.
but theres no replacement for the sound so it stays
Old 05-12-2008, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol im going hks lol hope it works out good i dont mine if its got some stumble i have the recirc fitting to just no hole in my intak might have to make one a?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
nice, yeah post some vids.. how's the sound? and it does use the same flange as HKS?
The Synapse BOV has different flanges for most of the popular BOV. I think the HKS flange was like $25. It comes with a weld on flange though if you want to go that route.

As far as the sound, all you really hear is a gust of air. I missed the chirp a whole lot at first, and sometimes I wish I still had it, but it's REALLY funny when you beat Evo's and Sti's and they have no clue why!

Grill in front of Intercooler + Synapse BOV = No cop attention and sleeper status

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
my car is auto and shuts off when im going slow (0-20) and then give it some good foot and let the bov go off and then stay off the gas... Japtrix said it was becuz i need to recirc the bov.
This is typically the case, although with my Synapse Synchronic BOV, I still run it by venting to the atmosphere. What's even cooler about the Synapse BOV is that it can be used as either a recirculating or Vent to Atmosphere BOV.

The reason why our cars shut off after giving it a lot of gas is because our MAF sensors freak out between shifting and idling. When you're shifting in boost, the air that was measured by the MAF is blown off by the BOV. This typically makes you run rich. When you're at idle however, the MAF doesn't know what's going on, and makes you run lean. That cuts off your car.

After I installed the Anti-Stall kit on my Synapse BOV, I could drive the car hard and come to a quick and complete stop without stalling or having to blip the gas.

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
does recircing the bov take away from the sound anyway?
Yes it does.

Originally Posted by coryjames
lol im going hks lol hope it works out good i dont mine if its got some stumble i have the recirc fitting to just no hole in my intak might have to make one a?
Personally, I'm not a fan of the HKS. It's notorious for causing compressor surge. Compressor surge is when the air isn't fully blown off and goes back through the charge pipe causing your turbine to spin in the opposite direction.

This is really bad for your turbo because you have increased turbo lag and more wear and tear on the turbine itself

Getting rid of my HKS BOV was the best thing I ever did. No more chirp, but honestly, it's all the more cooler when people ask what the heck is in your car that makes you so fast!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Here are the videos I was talking about:

Synchronic BOV vs. Diaphragm BOV (like HKS) on an s2k, always talks about Compressor surge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU5Y6d9rh1k

Tial BOV vs Synapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU5Y6d9rh1k

Example of Flutter Dump (EXACTLY what my HKS BOV sounded like)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUWEsqoWz8
Old 05-12-2008, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

that's a nice demo.. hmm how bout running two bovs, getting this one for the function and leaving the old one for the sound and maybe even less surge.. but thats a good demo on what compressor surge sounds like, i rarely hear those though
Old 05-12-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

that's a nice demo.. hmm how bout running two bovs, getting this one for the function and leaving the old one for the sound and maybe even less surge.. but thats a good demo on what compressor surge sounds like, i rarely hear those though
That would be ultra pointless...

sound over performance = tEh rIc0rZ!!111
Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ haha cant call it rice though, both still functions but the other is better.. and it will be cleaner to leave the old bov than removed it and cover the hole. unless you can use the same spot or same flange
Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

^^ haha cant call it rice though, both still functions but the other is better.. and it will be cleaner to leave the old bov than removed it and cover the hole. unless you can use the same spot or same flange
I can't imagine how having to BOV's would be beneficial at all. I'm not 100% positive, but I bet that would cause a lot of issues...

Just get the Synapse and the flange to replace whatever you had before. I'd take my non-chirping BOV over stalling, throttle delay, compressor surge, and having to replace my turbo early ANYDAY.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

i'll see first if it has a disadvantage, i know the ptuning tc has 2 bovs just for cosmetic reasons
Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

So does this solve the whole original issue with extra fuel getting shot in because the MAF sensor thinks the air went into the engine?? Im looking at getting the dezod s1 kit but am rethinking due to the hks ssqv bov
Old 05-12-2008, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blacklistcustomz
So does this solve the whole original issue with extra fuel getting shot in because the MAF sensor thinks the air went into the engine?? Im looking at getting the dezod s1 kit but am rethinking due to the hks ssqv bov
The synapse would, and so would a recirc BOV. Another benefit of the synapse is that it's good from 1-100 PSI. For some other BOV's to be most effective, you need to get springs that match your level of boost, that and the fact that you can use the BOV as a recirc or vent to atmosphere, and it's a no brainer. I seriously love my BOV and it was the best purchase I've made for the amount of problems it fixed.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the hks i got the recirc fitting int tonight installed it i will have a hks without the cat sneeze its makes lol
Old 05-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

I really am starting to grow on this bov.. I like how its not as loud, and prevents any flutter dump and such.. how much do they synchronic bov's run for??
Old 05-13-2008, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what does the HKS sound like recirc'd?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blacklistcustomz
I really am starting to grow on this bov.. I like how its not as loud, and prevents any flutter dump and such.. how much do they synchronic bov's run for??
PrestigeRacing.net sells is for $220.00. That's where I got mine from. If anyone wants a used HKS, let me know :p
Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

there is also a HKS flange adapter on sale so you can just use your HKS flange in mounting this synapse bov, thats even better
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I bought the synapse BOV, HKS Flange, and anti-stall kit since I vent to the atmosphere.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can i get this so called anit-stall kit?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
SL Member

We currently over the anti-stall kit as an option for the Synapse BOV. It's under the description in the available options:

http://prestigeracing.net/store/prod...products_id=54
Old 06-25-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im running atmospheric and have no problem whatsoever, although i am an auto. I just mounted my maf on the charge pipe after the bov