Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Blown F.I. tC Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm getting tuned at http://www.prostreetautoperformance.com/.
Just went there today and met bcnu_702 and FMtC_krstnmj for the first time.
The guys at pro street are really cool, good prices, plus their open on saturday.
The specialize in imports, so I would suggest them over Silver State Motorsport over by the speedway. They seem to know abou the tCs. They were installing bcnu-702's springs and some gauges today.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

you can add me to this thread.
My car is a daily driver and I don't push it very often.
Not too sure what the deal was but I should know by monday.
Man I just dont want this to happen again.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
I'm getting tuned at http://www.prostreetautoperformance.com/.
Just went there today and met bcnu_702 and FMtC_krstnmj for the first time.
The guys at pro street are really cool, good prices, plus their open on saturday.
The specialize in imports, so I would suggest them over Silver State Motorsport over by the speedway. They seem to know abou the tCs. They were installing bcnu-702's springs and some gauges today.
Wow they got awesome prices! (I want a tune from them!)

Can you ask them how much is the Stage1 turbo install with tune for street performance and daily driver reliability?

Are they the best in Import performance here in LV?

Also, are you Turboed already?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My kit is on it's way. Should be boosted within a couple weeks. I'm not getting tuned for awhile cause I can run my kit at 5psi on the stock ECU. Sometime next year I'll get some sort of management, up the boost and then have them tune it.

I'm not having them install my kit, doing that myself, so I'm not going to ask them how much that costs. But their tuning is listed on the website at $95 an hour. But their cool, and if your cool with them, the'll give you a deal.

I don't know if their the best, I actually was just looking for a dyno place, so I went to dynojet's website and it listed all the shops that had their dynos in town, which are tune shops. This one was the closest to me, they were open on saturdays, and when I talked to them, the seemed cool. Plus, they had nothing but high power imports in their shop, from STIs, to 11sec civics. Give them a call.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ouch! there's more motor blows every day!

Are there 07s that blew the hell out of it???
Old 05-27-2007, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I think I'll......just UM...Keep my opinion out of this one....
Good idea

Add me to the list with a blown motor. 1500 miles with a ZPI stage 1. Bad tune, bad advise from Kenny and a garbage kit caused collapsed rings and cracked ring landings (all 4) on the pistons.

80% loss of compression and scored cylinders were my reward for trust in a new company.

But I'm sure you'll be fine...

I see you still don't take the blame for any of your mishaps...but oh well..

All I have to add is, I reckon the comparison for you would be 2 years ago (brand new to the tC F/I world) span vs these motors that are blowin up today. R&D is over with, testing is over with....Why are these other kits still blowing up?...

Not saying because everyone was new to F/I on the tC, you were used as a test subject. Just saying if the most recent ZPI blown up motor is you at 2 years ago....why are these motors with kits from other companies blowing up in this day and age?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not saying because everyone was new to F/I on the tC, you were used as a test subject.
I'm taking it the test went bad? Who has to pay for the damage, him or ZPI?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by amdforever
Not saying because everyone was new to F/I on the tC, you were used as a test subject.
I'm taking it the test went bad? Who has to pay for the damage, him or ZPI?

Long story, and I'm sure he wont mind giving you his version of it.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry. I respect you both, but that comment was great!
Old 05-27-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty

Sorry. I respect you both, but that comment was great!

We all have stories....one year, Walmart wouldn't let me return some toilet tissue. Something about having brown stuff on it...
Old 05-29-2007, 01:18 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
I think I'll......just UM...Keep my opinion out of this one....
Good idea

Add me to the list with a blown motor. 1500 miles with a ZPI stage 1. Bad tune, bad advise from Kenny and a garbage kit caused collapsed rings and cracked ring landings (all 4) on the pistons.

80% loss of compression and scored cylinders were my reward for trust in a new company.

But I'm sure you'll be fine...
Hey Dyltone,.... is it just me, or is this thread awfully familiar?
Old 05-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

Too familiar... If anyone wants to know my story, please ask me via PM. I'm done with defending my story to Travis, Mike, and Paul.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

Not saying because everyone was new to F/I on the tC, you were used as a test subject. Just saying if the most recent ZPI blown up motor is you at 2 years ago....why are these motors with kits from other companies blowing up in this day and age?
I can't let this one slide Travis:
ZPI blew up and replaced a motor last month.

Originally Posted by nauticalblue_tC
Cliff notes: I had a great overall experience with ZPI

I went to ZPI on April 24 to get my stage 0 installed. When I picked the car up, it ran great. On the way home from ZPI on that very same day, my wastegate line blew off while i was in boost, letting the car run way too lean, which fried my entire short block. I was left stranded on the side of the road, and had to get a rollback to get my car home.

NOW HERE IS THE POSITIVE AND MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS POST:

I called Kenny next day to let him know what had happened, and he and I both agreed that the wastegate line shouldn't have blown off having left his shop just 50 miles prior. ZPI took it upon themselves to send a tow truck 100 miles to pick up my car at my house and take it to them, free of charge to me. Kenny called me the next business day to let me know that my block was shot, and he was going to put a short block in the car, free of charge. They had my car exactly two weeks, which to me isn't bad when you have people coming from all over the country to get their cars worked on as well. I picked up the car yesterday and I couldnt be happier with it. It runs great, no funny noises, grinds or leaks, none of that. The install looks very professional, and if I didnt already know it, i wouldnt have known the engine had ever been out of my car. I want to thank everyone at ZPI and I urge everyone in the Scion community to seek ZPI for ALL of your high performance needs. They back their product and their work 100%
Get your facts straight. I know of at least 5 blown motors from ZPI kits (not including all of their shop cars that have blown up), why do you think I'm the only one?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:34 PM
SL Member

Eh', whatever.... I mean, as long as I've been a part of this forum there's been tons of ideas, and tons of people bashing them. Some people are resentful and spiteful out of jealousy, and even ignorance. But when a man comes on here and tells you out of EXPERIENCE that the money you're putting INTO your car to improve it's performace CAN ( I did not say 'WILL') damage internals and cost more to repair than to upgrade (which now you'll have to do both!), I feel that it should be taken a little seriously_ Whether it was the tuner, the wastegate, the boost controller,... i'm not counting on a "blessing" to keep my car together. Not to mention spend $4k+ for 8/8.5 psi (220whp)- I just don't think it's worth it anymore. Don't get me wrong! Doing the things the right way, without taking any shortcuts and no "it'll hold up until.." and taking things to about as close just because we can (like Treadstone w/o EM) is worth your time; a SHYT lodda money, but definitely a profect worth doing.
Boosting these cars is risky and WAY expensive, but.. It CAN be done-
Dyltone, forget it.. just leave 'em_ Hopefully things will turn out better for them
Old 05-29-2007, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ Wow man, last I saw you were asking gobbs of questions about F/I and now apparenlty your an expert.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:13 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
^^^ Wow man, last I saw you were asking gobbs of questions about F/I and now apparenlty your an expert.
It's not that, man... it's that whenever the conversation comes up when people start questioning the reliability of a car and probable outcomes, it's like.. I KNOW THIS.
Money wasn't the reason for not boosting my TC, it just concerned me.
The more and more I looked into myself, the more I realized how tricky this can be.
It'd be tough to come up with all the money for the turbo, but it can be done.
But where the FCK do I get a new engine after spending all my money boosting it?!
I don't know it all, and I wasn't tuning my own horn, but I know where he's coming from and I know why he's asking; for the same reasons I did. I just see Dyltone's POV, and I honestly cannot (financially) afford so be in his situation.
I didn't mean to step on anyones toes, especially yours after all the help you've given me... It was just my opinion_
Old 05-29-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AngrySnail
It's not that, man... it's that whenever the conversation comes up when people start questioning the reliability of a car and probable outcomes, it's like.. I KNOW THIS.
Money wasn't the reason for not boosting my TC, it just concerned me.
The more and more I looked into myself, the more I realized how tricky this can be.
I'd be tough to come up with all the money for the turbo, but it can be done.
But where the FCK do I get a new engine after spending all my money bossing it?!
I don't know it all, and I wasn't tuning my own horn, but I know where he's coming from and I know why he's asking; for the same reasons I did. I just see Dyltone's POV, and I honestly cannot (financially) afford so be in his situation.
I didn't mean to step on anyones toes, especially yours after all the help you've given me... It was just my opinion_
Well its refreshing to see someone who chose NOT to turbo their car after they realized what CAN happen. Seriously So many times, people are willing to roll the dice when they don't have the $$ I myself am in the fortunate position to have the funds necessary if anything terrible happens Sorry man, I didn't mean to come accross like a dick with my above post. Now go buy a boosted car!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:13 PM
SL Member

No need to apologize. I woulda donked me too if I was "noob" coming across giving expert advice_

Now go buy a boosted car!!!
...it's funny that you say that...
Old 05-29-2007, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AngrySnail
No need to apologize. I woulda donked me too if I was "noob" coming across giving expert advice_

Now go buy a boosted car!!!
...it's funny that you say that...
STi? Evo? Speed3? GTI? Speed6? Gimme Gimme Gimme!!! lol
Old 05-29-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With the money some heads are droppin to make there tC faster... they shouldve just gotten a nicer car to begin with. I think its absolutely retarded the amount of heads blowing there engines cuz they tried boostin without doing other needed upgrades.

Quick Reply: Blown F.I. tC Engines?