Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Blown turbo ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Blown turbo ??

Hey guys i really need help and am fustrated. was driving all week on a solid tune at cruising speed and idle read 14.8-15.0afrs now at idle somtimes it reads in the 10s and 12s same is with crusing.................. i was driving the other day and it was reaidng 10 and all sudden heard a loud loud boom come out the exhaust continued to drive was fine sounded like i hit somthing, i dunno what to do if turbo is blown or this is somthing else. i deff dont think its the motor. when i hit the gas the turbine still builds boost but i dunno it seems a little laggy and somtimes it hestitates with the power. somthings deff going on checked the oil catch can and top my surprose there ws a good amount of oil in there for how long i put it in the car at least 3-4 oncues of oil. can i drive like this. till i save for a another turbo or dont drive it till its fixed.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

check to see if theres shaft play on the turbine housing...take the turbo apart and see if oil blew thru the seals. Does the car smoke a lot while its running? You gotta be a lil more specific if you expect people to help you out. Start by trying what I said. There should be no more than an 1/8" of play on the shaft.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

noo there is nooo shaft play a little smoke not bad but its winter soo all cars smoke a little then it goes away after the car is warmed up. but when i did take the intake off there was a few ounces of oil in the intake not bad but just a little....... cleaned it out and put it back on. but no there was not really any shaft play and if there was it was at a minimum, but i have had this turbonetics turbine on the car for year and half and all i hear is bad things about how the seals blow and there just crappy turbines, i might have to start looking into getting somthing new but what? i dont wanna go crazy just want somthing thats good and reliable. dont wanna spend too much as im in college now.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Byta27
noo there is nooo shaft play a little smoke not bad but its winter soo all cars smoke a little then it goes away after the car is warmed up. but when i did take the intake off there was a few ounces of oil in the intake not bad but just a little....... cleaned it out and put it back on. but no there was not really any shaft play and if there was it was at a minimum, but i have had this turbonetics turbine on the car for year and half and all i hear is bad things about how the seals blow and there just crappy turbines, i might have to start looking into getting somthing new but what? i dont wanna go crazy just want somthing thats good and reliable. dont wanna spend too much as im in college now.
talk to paul, they have a really killer deal on garrett turbo's right now...todd from Turbo toyota's is running a sale as well. You can pick up a t3/t4 right now for about $600 w/out BB's.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not bad not bad sounds good i think im gonna give hiom a call i think this turbo is whats causeing me to get these afr cause i believe it blown not the motor but the turbinesoo im gonna haver to baby my car till iget the new one put in.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check all the pipe connections, mine did that when an ic pipe worked loose. really rich afr's and lower power.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bash
Check all the pipe connections, mine did that when an ic pipe worked loose. really rich afr's and lower power.
Normally if you blew off a Intercooler pipe, the car would try and die out...

What else is happening, just really low AFR's (10.0 - 12.0) even at idle?
- Check all Vac Lines
- Check Intercooler piping as well as all other piping
- Oil Lines
Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats exactly what it did.... scared the poo outta me for a min.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats exactly what it did.... scared the poo outta me for a min.
yea, that happened to me when I first put the kit on, I was driving around with no front bumper as soon as I put it on, so the problem was easily noticeable.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was on the 210 east last night around 11pm in dead stop traffic, and I had to take a leak so bad, it was fn awful. The pipe just was kinda hanging within the coupler, I guess with some of the air getting through. Hopefully Byta has a simple problem like that.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was on the 210 east last night around 11pm in dead stop traffic, and I had to take a leak so bad, it was fn awful. The pipe just was kinda hanging within the coupler, I guess with some of the air getting through. Hopefully Byta has a simple problem like that.
easy way to prevent your pipes from coming off, take some hairspray, spray it on the inside of the silicone coupler, and outside of the pipes, but it together, pipes are holding strong, never blown off since.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What kit do you have now bash? I just got your old zpi stage 0 off of firestorm.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i wish it was that checked all vacc lines and oil lines all good, i also checked all couplers to make sure they were on tight and they were.... 2morrow im gonna take off the intake see if there is oil build up in the intake id say we all know what that means. I was driving tonight the AFRS were perfect i mean perfect then all of a sudden like 30 min of driving the afr shot right down to 12 then to 10 then to like 17 i was like what the hell, just picked this really nice girl in the car on a date first date, was praying to god i wasnt gonna get stuck on the side of the street, shes like whats all those gauges for and she was like my gf has this same car but why dont u have back seats or a spare haha i wanted to show her tc beast but i played it off well i only do that on the track and this is stock. cause my afrs were extremly rich halfway into the ride haha wanted to get her home in one piece without the car detonating and blowing us both up haha she like its smells like fumes at every light we stopped at. its deff not tune related i know this somthing is going on with the car itself, most likely turbo related , but i will double check vaccs again 2morrow. i also took out the emanage to check the tune and everything was perfect. reset the battery and it was fine until 30 min into the drive. those afrs jumping all over the place 10,12,13,14,all the way up to 17 then back down to 10 for a while maybe the gauge came loose try tighting the gauge bung hmmmm ..... Thanx again for the help guys -Matt
Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm. Where are you located? There are boosted people everywhere, I am sure someone could lend you a hand.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Double check those couplers. One time one of my pipes was just barely connected and I did not notice untill I took it apart. The clamp even seemed to be able to tighten. Also do you have any cel's?? Possible your front o2 could be going bad. Also make sure your maf is not loose or anything.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Blown turbo ??

Hey guys i really need help and am fustrated. was driving all week on a solid tune at cruising speed and idle read 14.8-15.0afrs now at idle somtimes it reads in the 10s and 12s same is with crusing.................. i was driving the other day and it was reaidng 10 and all sudden heard a loud loud boom come out the exhaust continued to drive was fine sounded like i hit somthing, i dunno what to do if turbo is blown or this is somthing else. i deff dont think its the motor. when i hit the gas the turbine still builds boost but i dunno it seems a little laggy and somtimes it hestitates with the power. somthings deff going on checked the oil catch can and top my surprose there ws a good amount of oil in there for how long i put it in the car at least 3-4 oncues of oil. can i drive like this. till i save for a another turbo or dont drive it till its fixed.
was it a pop or like an 'explosion'? if it was a loose vac line or coupler it would idle funny which you dont seem to be having. idling funny would it be it like its revving up then down repeatedly. if theres oil in the catch can then it aint in the motor so u can dump it back in or put in new oil. check for oil in yer ic pipes, intake, and check yer turbo like others have said. good luck.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
talk to paul, they have a really killer deal on garrett turbo's right now...todd from Turbo toyota's is running a sale as well. You can pick up a t3/t4 right now for about $600 w/out BB's.
good idea on the garrett. turbonetics ones smoke.. :X
Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well there was a little oil in the intkae nothing really crazy just dumped it and put it back on .......... but i do have a cell and maybe you are right about the first o2 sensor going. hmm im gonna have the codes checked see which o2 it is. If its the secndary one then its ok but if its the first one u think this could be the reason for the AFR jumping all over mostly rich condition.... maybe some oil got on the sensor and ruined it. i dont think its the maf everything is plugged in correctly but ill try using some clenaer and clean the maf reset the ecu then try again... any other suggestions in the mean time?? anyone on longisland turboed ??
Old 12-18-2007, 06:13 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

loose/weak connections with ic pipes really cause havoc on a car. it sucks.

i have a bunch of weak connections....and i can't fix it because the cashflow is halted at the moment.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check your coil packs to make sure you are getting spark. you may only be running on three cylinders.

Quick Reply: Blown turbo ??