Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Blue, Ultimate, or AEM piggyback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Blue, Ultimate, or AEM piggyback?

I'm looking at these 3 and the descriptions are not accurate enough to determine which of these piggybacks are the right one for my application... (My friends only run on Blues and soldered.

I'm planning on a Greddy kit w/ HKS BOV and 550cc injectors , harnesses, step colder plugs, boost A/F and another (?) gauge, turbo timer, and Walbro FP or a Dezod signature kit (undecided on turbo type) and hoping on getting 260WHP at 8PSI with a tune with near perfect A/F ratios and run safe on freeways.

So which piggyback will work out well with my setup goal? Please tell me there ups and downs...

Thanks! I need the feedback!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, the emanage ultimate and the aem piggyback are better than the blue ofcourse.

you should also get the greddy pressure sensor to tune off boost instead of the maf, and while i'll get flamed or saying this, the dezod black box for partial throttle tuning. YES, THEY DO SIMILAR TASKS, BUT THEY DO THEM DIFFERENTLY AND AT DIFFERENT TIMES!

now, the absolute best way to tune a turbo is to get a full AEM standalone engine management system like the one you can buy with the dezod signature kit. this would be the safest and most reliable way to have your turbo tuned. the downside is it is more expensive, both to buy and to tune, but when done properly, it will be more reliable than any piggyback tuner you can use.

and for your last gauge, get an EGT or exhaust gas temperature.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

uh, well the blue vs the ultimate.....its in the name, there's just more functions to the ultimate, and you can get some finer tuning out of it....both are piggybacks to the ecu.....the aem is a standalone, and you can do everything with it, seriously!.....but thats why the price is above $1000....if you're on a budget, get the emanage blue.....if you have som $$$ to spend, get the aem.....but then again, its all about your budget.....remember you need to install it, and have a tuner tune it (runs no more than $250 for full tune and dyno runs).....and isn't this like your millionth thread you've started? lol.....and for gauges, i would've suggested oil pressure gauge
Old 08-16-2007, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aem now offers both a standalone, and a piggyback, if i remember correctely, the piggyback is on par with the emanage ultimate, but is still ofcourse, a piggyback.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not getting the EMS because I have to be able to take it out and put everything back to "appear" untouched if I had a tranny problem somehow...

How big of a difference in throttle response can I see/feel if I get a blackbox? (I just forgot to type the pressure sensor, I know I'm gonna need it big time if I want good A/Fs)

Thanks DRAX!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tranny problem? so long as you have a strong enough clutch, your not going to have a tranny problem from putting on a turbo kit.

now, the problem with using a piggyback ecu is that it isn't in control of the car. the stock ecu is, the piggyback sort of lies or argues with the ecu to try and get it to do what you want to work with the turbo. now, the problem is that the ecu is actually adaptive, it will gradually overcome and resist the piggyback's lies and arguments.

the point of the blackbox is to actually work with the piggyback to tune the a/f to your likings at partial throttle input in closed loop. or was it open loop... anyway.

if you get a standalone, it is like replacing the factory ecu with a yes man that will do everything you tell it to to work make the engine work with the turbo properly.

with a standalone, it is alot safer and run alot smoother with a piggyback you basically have a car that is conflicted with itself.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a Competition stage-4 (pain for your left foot) right now...

I'm not sure if tuners here in Vegas can handle the EMS tuning, and also I'm scared of "accidental" removal of the map(s)... So I'm most likely going for the EManage ultimate with the Dezod box for a while and hopefully give good enough A/Fs...

(Then if someone does EMS here in Vegas and works out great/better than great, I'll swap the EManage for an EMS and use the Ultimate on my Corolla S.)
Old 08-16-2007, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if they can tune a piggback, they can tune an aem. aem makes lots of standalones for loads of other tuner cars, so if you know a place that has experience tuning cars, they should know what to do with this.

also, your not going to hide anything should have a tranny problem, even if you take off the turbo kit.

and also, since you have a standalone, you'll also have your stock ecu as a paper weight to just be put back in along with the other stock parts anyway.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would they know if I installed a turbo (even if I privately installed it) when I bring the tC for tranny warranty claims at Toyota and all they see are Stage-4 clutch, GFI Stage3 w/ TRD filter, air diversion panel and some wires for the sound sytem???
Old 08-16-2007, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, you wouldn't have a pain in the butt clutch heavy duty clutch on your tc if it was stock now would you?

then, with most kits, you have to shave the bumper alittle, so they might notice that too. then your car has a data logger that stores recent information about how it has been running, engine speed, load, intake temp, exhaust temp, gear, pedal position. it would tattle on you somewhat.

oh yeah, your gauges!

if they ask you why you have boost gauge on a non-turbo tc, just tell them "chicks dig vacuum!"
Old 08-16-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could a manual transmission break-down be a cause from excess engine power?

Also, one of the dealers from where I bought my tC has an 06 with a Greddy and he told me that he still has warranty. (STRANGE...)
Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i've never heard of anyone on these boards f'ing up their entire tranny b/c of a turbo kit. also, that dealer is BSing the heck out of you. no way in hell is that greddy turbo'd tC under full manufacturer's warranty.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, once they see that stage 4 clutch, they will no longer warantee any tranny issues.

Now, I have the AEM F/IC piggy back. It's good. But it's really new, and tuners are still trying go get the hang of it. My tuner here in Vegas can do the AEM EMS standalone no problem. His problem is not the piggyback, it's learning the tC ECU. If I had a standalone, it would be no problem because it would "replace" the stock ECU, which is what my tuner is having trouble with.

About "accidentally" loosing the tune...he just didn't know how the F/IC saved. One time, and he knew. Like I said, it's brand new and different then the Greddy units.

But firsly, doesn't the Greddy kit already come with some sort of management? Isn't that the one where you have to pick one of the optional engine management options, but you HAVE to pick one (not really optional)?

Oh, and one last thing...you could have no management at all and still have perfect AFRs on the freeway...when your cruizing, your not in boost.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Ok, the AEM is a little better than both Greddy systems...and the instructions come in engrish. Now, for that though, it's gonna be a little more cash. If you're a little strapped for cash...go blue...but also get the ignition harness as an add on...ur gonna need it. For tuning...Dezod is located in Arizona so it might be worth the ride to get probably the best tune around ur area!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:55 PM
SL Member

Okay I'm confused a little bit! So you can have a piggy back and a stand alone at the same time?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

No, its one or the other
Old 08-16-2007, 03:01 PM
SL Member

oh okay!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have u seen my baseball
Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought Dezod is FL and NY based?

I got another Q, should I get the HKS SQ BOV or the Greddy RS BOV? Which one is good for the app?

Quick Reply: Blue, Ultimate, or AEM piggyback?