Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boost Creap Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Boost Creap Help

So I just got done doing a custom build. I have a OBX manifold with a custom 3in down pipe I made, 3in straight pipe exhaust with one OBX resonator into a tip with open dump off the wastegate.

Today I went to go tune for the bigger exhaust. Its been months since iv hit boost. First pull 4th gear I did my car felt like it boost spiked I looked at my gauge and was boosting 15psi with a 10psi spring. I drove home and swaped out my tail knock off wastegate because I thought it might have been stuck closed, for my turbonetics wastegate aslo with a 10psi spring. I did another 4th gear pull car boosted 10psi held for a few sec then just started creaping up once it hit 14psi I stopped!

Aslo my open dump used to be super loud and raspy when I did my WOT pulls today with the new setup I couldnt hear it?

What do you think is making these happen?

Boost Creap Help-mail.google.com.jpg

Boost Creap Help-5.jpg
Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Manifold design
Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

My first honest opinion. You bought a bunch of cheap stuff.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sebbyxtc
Manifold design
How do you know its the manifold design???
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
My first honest opinion. You bought a bunch of cheap stuff.
I don't think anything I have is cheap it might not be Ptuning but is deff not cheap! I dont see how that would have anything to do with it cuz everything worked before I changed the maniflod and downpipe
Old 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If Manifold and Downpipe are the only things you've changed, it's got to be one of those 2 most likely. If it is 1 of these, it's likely the manifold. What kind of manifold were you running before? If you've gone bigger w/your new downpipe that shouldn't make you spike boost, that should help eliminate it to an extent. Do some research on the manifold and see if anyone else has had spike issues. GL
Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etoomey3
If Manifold and Downpipe are the only things you've changed, it's got to be one of those 2 most likely. If it is 1 of these, it's likely the manifold. What kind of manifold were you running before? If you've gone bigger w/your new downpipe that shouldn't make you spike boost, that should help eliminate it to an extent. Do some research on the manifold and see if anyone else has had spike issues. GL
I think it is the OBX manifold. I tried finding a thread on it and couldn't, but I did see a few ppl with these manifold before I tried it so I PM'd them. So what Iv heard its the Dump tube off the manifold. I guess it doesn't let the wastegate work right but I'm not sure yet.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

BUMP for help
Old 12-21-2012, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check your WG to Manifold connection? Might be something holding the WG shut. Also check turbo to manifold connection. Or your dump may not be releasing the pressure.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My connection to my wg is fine all the vacuum is! Iv had two diff wg do the same thing. Your right about it not releasing pressure but I'm pretty sure its the manifold but as how to fix it idk
Old 12-21-2012, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could be the fact that the exhaust gas has to go "uphill" to the wastegate itself. It could be building pressure in that pipe and could cause the wastegate spring to not respond accurately because of the length of tubing between the manifold and the wastegate. You could take the manifold off and have the wastegate routed from the side or bottom of the manifold if there's room. The shorter the path to the wastegate the better. GL
Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etoomey3
It could be the fact that the exhaust gas has to go "uphill" to the wastegate itself. It could be building pressure in that pipe and could cause the wastegate spring to not respond accurately because of the length of tubing between the manifold and the wastegate. You could take the manifold off and have the wastegate routed from the side or bottom of the manifold if there's room. The shorter the path to the wastegate the better. GL
You are 100% right iv been PMing people that have these manifold and they said they all had to move the wastegate flange! I guess theres a few threads on it but ill look but im not very good on computers!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly it looks like you could have the wastegate pipe cut off and welded shut and move it to the opposite side of the flange, with a good dump routing it shouldn't get in the way of coolant lines or radiator or other things. Def. worth looking into. GL
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey i had a question about running dual gates with these manifold. Iv decided to add another runner from the bottom collector. Im just going to use a extra wastegate to cap the top original runner. my question is should I run a vacuum line to the top wasegate and run two wastegates? I know thats a lot of waste dose anyone know if that will work?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Boost Creap Help-0523091948.jpg
theses is were im coming from on the bottom

Boost Creap Help-5.jpg
these is my top runner

I want to run both gates will these work?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

So you are just wanting to run a second wg now instead of moving the one you have?
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think by adding another wastegate it'll just give you more of a problem and make the setup more complicated then it needs to be. The manifold isn't a divided twin scroll so there really isn't a point of running 2 wastegates. IMO the reason for the boost spike is because of where the wastegate is positioned. The gases have to travel way too far in the position where its at now. It would be ideal to have pipe coming from the collector cut shorter and placed closer to the collector so that the wastegate can work more efficiently.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's what I'm having done but I'm coming from the bottom of collector. but now I have that extra runner so I was just going to use it to if it doesn't hurt anything?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by motoxxx87
That's what I'm having done but I'm coming from the bottom of collector. but now I have that extra runner so I was just going to use it to if it doesn't hurt anything?
If you're putting the wastegate port in a different spot (bottom of merge collector) then you need to close the original opening for sure. Even if you cap it off or put another wastegate on there it would still give you issues. However you get to close the original port for the wastegate has to do a REAL good job because if not done properly the flow will be off going into the merge collector.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How would I have issues if it was capped off?

Quick Reply: Boost Creap Help