Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boost Creeping woes continue

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:37 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

surge?
Old 11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I may not be seeing this right. From the picture you posted, it looks like the internal wastegate is on your downpipe, not your manifold. It's hard to tell from the picture though.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
Whoops sorry I actually did not mean pressure ratio but the pressure ratio between the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold (also know as the TIP/IMP ratio). Most stock cars have a TIP/IMP ratio of 2 while race cars actually aim to have a ratio less then 1. What I am really getting at is that if your turbo is flowing well enough then the pressure in the exhaust manifold will be very little and therefore the pressure difference between that exhaust manifold and after the turbo part of the exhaust/atmosphere might not be big enough the allow enough air to pass through the wastegate.
I don’t know man I don’t have any gauges to measure that. I am going to put the dump to the atmosphere on Mon or Tues if all goes well I should put up some good numbers. I tell you what though, even though I am stilled bummed about the boost creep problem that damn turbo is crazy. The car has a little more lag but when this thing goes into boost around 4300rpms and then full boost about 5000 buy the time you reach 7000 your like whoa. It feels like two kicks in the ___. When I get this car running right I think I will probably put up around 340-350whp on pump at about 12-13psi or maybe more...we will see.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 318_tC
Whos tuning your car man, and what do they say about it.

How many psi are u running? and what kinda numbers u laying down? you built block at all?

The block is stock the custom turbo setup was done by www.psiracing.com one of my friends from high school. Lance from Toyomoto put in the AEM and tuned it. The only time I got to dyno it was when it had a boost leak so the boost would not climb as fast now that the leak is fixed I cant really punch it anymore. The problem is that around 4500rpms I was only boosting 8-9psi by the time I got to 7000 it was at 12-13psi. So I did not get the 12-13psi when the car is making its most power at 4500 do you understand? Like that I put down 300whp.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BOXMAN
Rasta how did you check your wastegate?
This is my third one
Old 11-30-2006, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
Ok, I may not be seeing this right. From the picture you posted, it looks like the internal wastegate is on your downpipe, not your manifold. It's hard to tell from the picture though.
There is an external wategate on the top left of the picture, that is old pic so it is an Turbonetics Evolution WG...Now it has a 44mm TIAL
Old 11-30-2006, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

12-13psi on stock block YIKES!!!
Id get a new manifold homie...
Old 11-30-2006, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Naw it will be alright it's all in the tuning with the AEM I can see when detonation is occuring so we just retart the timing a little. You have to play with it if you drop back too much timing then it does not make any sense so you have to see where the midway point is.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also it is all about the way you drive too, I dont drive like a mad man or rag on my car all the time but when it time to play I do it you know? Just drive the car like a normal car and then get on it when you want.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rasta
There is an external wategate on the top left of the picture, that is old pic so it is an Turbonetics Evolution WG...Now it has a 44mm TIAL
Ok, I was looking at it backwards. It looks like your WG dumps into the exhaust about 4-5 inches after the turbo. This is right at a 90 degree bend and that "could" be your problem. First thing I would do is try to externally vent your WG. If it doesn't creep then you need to merge the dump into the downpipe farther downstream from the turbo. Sorry for your woes, I had the same problem with my MR-2. I eventually added a high flow cat which fixed the issue.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I was looking at it backwards. It looks like your WG dumps into the exhaust about 4-5 inches after the turbo. This is right at a 90 degree bend and that "could" be your problem. First thing I would do is try to externally vent your WG. If it doesn't creep then you need to merge the dump into the downpipe farther downstream from the turbo. Sorry for your woes, I had the same problem with my MR-2. I eventually added a high flow cat which fixed the issue.
Thanks for comments, if does work I am leaving it like that SCARE some poeple on the road!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for comments, if does work I am leaving it like that SCARE some poeple on the road!
External dump is fun. I think you'll like it.

Seriously though, I think what's happening is the dump is so close to the turbo and it's speeding up the exhaust gas which may be speeding up the turbine. The boost pressure coming from your wastegate is moving a lot quicker than your exhaust. It's a strange thought, but may be the issue. A 44mm Tial should hold just fine though.

I would recommend you call a shop that does big turbo, big boost set-ups often and see what they think. Try Titan Motorsports.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks man I will give them a call.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I dumped the WG to the atmosphere and still the same issues I have no idea what is going on. I could make a new custom manifold but I don’t know if that is going to fix the problem. I am completely stumped.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe you should call another shop, that deals with ____ like this. Im having my custom manifold made by T1 Race Development here shortly, and im going with a bigger turbo and 3 inch down pipe. Hopefully I dont have the same problem. Are you running a boost controller?