Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boost issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Boost issues

Hello all,

I've been running my TT kit for about a week now and finally got a TurboXS HP Manual Boost Controller. I believe I have it set at about 5 psi, but I'm still having issues.

The main reason why I got the MBC was to get rid of the nasty boost spike & hold that was happening at about 5k rpm to redline (there is a 4 psi spring in the TiAL 38mm wastegate, but the boost would spike to almost 10 psi during the last 1250 rpms).

The spike is still there after installing the MBC according to the instructions that came with it (horizontal connection coming from positive pressure source, vertical connection going to wastegate).

The line that is connected to the horizontal connection comes from the furthest left hose from the vacuum block that is still vertical, the middle hose goes to the Bosch BPV, and the small hose on the right goes to the boost gauge.

My other issue is that when in 4th gear around 3.5k rpm, if I punch it, the AFRs go to 10.0 and then the car starts to hesitate about every half-second to full second until the RPMs get to about 4.5k and then it smooths out.

Any ideas? I was planning on going to the track Friday, but unless I can get the boost and hesitation situations sorted out, I'm not going to...

Thanks in advance!

Josh
Old 03-19-2009, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Nice write up explaining your problem.

As fas as your last comment about the car hesitating at certain rpms....... its just your tune. You need to get the car tuned so it runs smoothly and efficiently up through the whole rpm band. I wouldnt recommend going to the track before getting a professinal tune. Something could happen... you run lean and boom.... theres your motor.

As far as the boost spike..... check the tightness of the top housing of the WG..... the part that holds the spring down. It could be a crap sping for some reason too. You might wanna just spend 25$ and get a new spring to eliminate that. Make sure your boost signal going into the WG isnt supposed to be on the top port.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are u using AEM FIC? if so that could cause the hesitating if you dont have the resistor mod.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
are u using AEM FIC? if so that could cause the hesitating if you dont have the resistor mod.
Yea, this is very true. I had to do it with mine.

Is it like a really hard jerk? Like it feels like its misfiring? Or does it just feel like its bogged down at those rpms?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do have the F/IC and the Boomslang harness for the 07+ tC, so the resistors are already installed.

As for the tune, it was just tuned last Wednesday by UMS Tuning in Mesa, so its been on a dyno. The tune that's on the F/IC is good for about 6psi. The good thing that even when the boost spikes and holds at about 10 psi, its only for that short amount of time and the AFRs stay between 11.2 and 12.5 (but lately I have been shifting early to avoid that spike).

I will try to double check the wastegate housing tightness. And according to this guide from TiAL, i have the MBC sort-of right... FML (lol)
Old 03-19-2009, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kirk212
Yea, this is very true. I had to do it with mine.

Is it like a really hard jerk? Like it feels like its misfiring? Or does it just feel like its bogged down at those rpms?
I think it felt more like a misfire than a bog, I don't want to go out for another drive and test it until I fix the MBC connection...
Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any other ideas?

I also forgot to mention that the vacuum source for the vacuum block is the brake booster line before the hard line that is attached to the firewall.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I have my boost controller setup in the exact same location, the exact same way. Your boost controller is causing the spikes.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The spikes were happening before the boost controller were installed though. It looks like I might have it installed in the wrong place according to TiALs document here:

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w..._wginstall.pdf
Old 03-19-2009, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

lol, I didn't even notice that. Yeah, WG Vent > Side of MBC then out the bottom to the vacuum block.

Just run the vacuum hose from the WG to the vacuum block. If it doesn't spike anymore, it's the MBC. If it still spikes, it's the WG.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By WG vent do you mean the top connector? I think it might be the wastegate though. I don't have another one to test with though... Aen is going to let me borrow his once he's able to get to my part of the valley...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Side connector. Just skip the MBC, it will eliminate it from the equation or narrow it down to that.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was under the impression that if you run a Boost controller it should be more set for more psi then the spring you have in, not like just 1 or 2 lbs that might be a problme

im not 100 percent on that, just what ive herad down the line
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

The minimal setting on my MBC put me at 9.5PSI (6PSI WG spring). I always thought the minimal setting was supposed to be the WG spring pressure, then go up to, at most, double WG spring pressure.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

nothing goes in the top connector of the WG. It's supposed to go to atmosphere
Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I said before, the MBC was not installed last week after I got the car back from UMS. The boost spikes were happening then when it was just the wastegate.

I bought the MBC to take care of the spike & hold (which seems to be ineffective ATM)

I may just end up taking it to a shop and having them look at it...
Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

BTW, bottom of WG goes to bottom of MBC and side of MBC goes to ur vacuum block. I have it tapped to the throttle body vacuum though, for better vacuum. And in the block I have the FIC, Boost Gauge & Blowoff Valve.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:07 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

it seems that some of the stuttering is from the tune, but the spike has to be WG issue. Probably need a new spring or something. I believe Chris was having some kind of issue like that and might off gone away after taking it apart and looking at it. Look at his thread "TT Houston Style"
Old 03-19-2009, 07:08 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

take the wastegate apart, chances are the diaphram is pinched. sorry i wasn't much help earlier, i'm still reeling from the whole turbo fiasco.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Carlanga
it seems that some of the stuttering is from the tune, but the spike has to be WG issue. Probably need a new spring or something. I believe Chris was having some kind of issue like that and might off gone away after taking it apart and looking at it. Look at his thread "TT Houston Style"
my problem isnt quit like his........instead of spiking in boost pressure mine would just get to a certain psi and not go higher for a second and hesitate then would smooth out and pressure would rise.......im still dealing with it but after pro tune it got better somewhat but is still there.......i wonder if its the fic or maybe a spark issue...coil packs maybe...could maybe be a weired exhoust leak but i doubt it.

Quick Reply: Boost issues