Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boost issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

boost spike FTW! helped me catch up on a couple of races lol
Old 03-19-2009, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm planning to run a MBC on my turbo, I hope this isn't a problem for me. it's a 14G turbo for a 1NZ-FE and it has an internal wastegate.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'm using a Forge Unos-ball, no spiking, no creeping, no leaks. Holds steady at 11.5PSI. My boost gauge is set to 12PSI for warning, and it hasn't gone off since I got tuned for 11.5PSI.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow, I've never heard of Forge before but checked out their site, they've go a lot of stuff. The hybrid recirc / open BOV looks interesting too, just wonder how well it works.

"machined to aircraft specifications" cracks me up though. I work on aircraft specifications, there is no universal one, it's all platform specific. The ISO 9002 cert is nice though, at least you'll know the product is consistant.

Carbon, any pics of it installed, it looks friggin huge on the site, I don't want it to dwarf my mini-turbo.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Wow, I've never heard of Forge before but checked out their site, they've go a lot of stuff. The hybrid recirc / open BOV looks interesting too, just wonder how well it works.

"machined to aircraft specifications" cracks me up though. I work on aircraft specifications, there is no universal one, it's all platform specific. The ISO 9002 cert is nice though, at least you'll know the product is consistant.

Carbon, any pics of it installed, it looks friggin huge on the site, I don't want it to dwarf my mini-turbo.
It's not big. I'll take a quick shot for ya...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Here is my black one, which I just ziptied to the A/C lines. Not sure how familiar you are to the size of the tC keys...but it was the quickest thing I had access to and it was raining outside lol.

I had a silver one, but it had the wrong spring in it, so I traded it to my friend for his black one (selling his car so doesn't need it anymore) and the black one worked. Here is the silver one installed on the D/S. It's actually pretty small and subtle, very easy to hide if you wanted to.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
boost spike FTW! helped me catch up on a couple of races lol
lol
Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

**Update**

I went out for a few highway pulls with my laptop connected to the f/ic. i found that the spike isnt to 9-10 psi, its actually to about 7.8 psi (the f/ic reads 14.1 psia when the engine is off and the psia on the gauge screen of the f/ic software peaked and held at 21.9 psia during the boost spike). so it looks like i need a new boost gauge...

i have taken apart the wastegate and verified that there is a small yellow spring in the spring area (according to TiAL, its a 1.875 outside diameter and is rated for 3.626 psi). there was some carbon on the bottom side of the diaphragm where the side fitting is for the wastegate and also some carbon on one spot of the diaphragm on the spring side.

i also rerouted the wastegate line to no longer go off of the vacuum block (in hopes to eliminate this spike issue), but alas it has not worked. here are some pics of the new setup:

ATP QuickTap

3/8" fuel line running from ATP QuickTap to side port of TurboXS HP Manual Boost controller, 3/8" fuel line running from bottom of MBC to wastegate side port

a better shot of the MBC connections

and just so everyone knows, this issue was happening before i bought the mbc and installed it. i bought the mbc hoping to get rid of this spike, but it has had no measurable effect
Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

hey try using boosting using just the wg spring pressure but this time use the line that is tapped right after the compressor elbow.. remove the boost controller for now.. there are several factors that affects boost pressure consistency and also different ways to fix that..
Old 03-30-2009, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright, i just did a few pulls with the line going from the atp fitting to the wastegate side fitting. the issue is still there.

i wonder if my lack of exhaust is the culprit... right now i just have the 3" downpipe and spipe, so there's no backpressure...

on a side note, i pop really loud when shifting after the spike. i probably throw a fireball too, but i cant tell since the exhaust ends right underneath the center console (its pointed down though)
Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Just curious, but what boost gauge are you running?

Also, the F/IC 'PSIA' reading isn't your boost, it's based off load. I'm running 11.5PSI and my F/IC goes to 29PSIA, boost gauge hits 11.5PSI (I know my gauge is accurate because I compared it to the sensor on PTunings dyno).
Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's the wastegate

nothing else controls boost.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a auto meter pro comp ultra lite i bought off of another sl member...

im at a loss on what to do next... i dont have the $$$ to go back to UMS and get a new fuel pump...
Old 03-30-2009, 02:37 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why fuel pump>?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cause it cant keep up with the volume of fuel needed for anything more than about 6psi. it also leans out the afrs a little bit after about 6k...
Old 03-30-2009, 02:50 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wth.

that's weird. why is that?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cause the stock fuel pump SUCKS...

also, having 550cc injectors doesnt help... but yea, UMS said that the fuel pump wasnt cutting it for 8 psi and higher...
Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I have 550 cc injectors w/ a gt30 turbo and im still good so far with up to 10 psi.. all you need to do is add fuel on top and find out if your injectors are maxed out or if it continues to lean out even if you added a good fuel in your fuel map.. im thinking of that above 5k rpms your wastegate is not dumping enough exhaust to keep the turbo from spooling too much boost.. what i could think of right now is, wastegate size, dumptube design, manifold design, vacuum source
Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by jsg93085
cause the stock fuel pump SUCKS...

also, having 550cc injectors doesnt help... but yea, UMS said that the fuel pump wasnt cutting it for 8 psi and higher...
I'm on the stock fuel pump, 550cc injectors and running 11.5PSI and I have no fuel delivery issue. My tuner, Toan (PTuning), said I was nowhere near maxing out my injectors either.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's the wierd thing though... im the only one running the 2.1 manifold with this issue...

looking at a log i took using my laptop with the AEM log software, the max percentage my injectors reach is like 75%...

i dont think it could be a vacuum source problem for the wastegate since the source is coming directly from the compressor housing (just like internally wastegated turbos)

the wastegate is a TiAL Sport 38mm with a small yellow spring

there is no dump tube on the wastegate, but todd did make a 6" one that directs the exhaust down, but it doesnt connect to the downpipe.

i believe the fuel pump is in need of replacing since the engine hiccups when i punch the gas to WOT in 3rd and higher when just cruising around at about 3.5-4k

it was also hiccuping when i went out to the track last weekend, and got progressively worse each run. the first run i did had no hiccups at all, but when i went through my 2 through 5th runs, the hiccuping started to get worse in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. it was so bad that it threw a P0171 code and the hiccuping was horrendous in my 5th (and subsequently last) run that i let off the throttle before 1/8th mile and cruised in 5th to the end...

i may be just getting the short end of the deal with my setup... UMS tunes really conservative (since theyre located here in phoenix with 110+ summer days), so they may have been running out of fuel by just trying to keep afrs good and anticipating for really hot weather (since i dont have a water/meth kit)...

Quick Reply: Boost issues