Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

boost with no gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
It takes an hour, tops, to install gauges. If you don't know how to install gauges, you shouldn't be boosting your car. Plain and simple.
ain't that the truth
Old 01-17-2010, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to chime in here, I have been doing most of the gauge installs @ Ptuning for 2 years. I am the one who quoted that time. The 3 gauges provided were used, and the wiring harness' for them were cut and mangled. They were in ok condition but were removed not in a clean mannor, new gauges would take less time to install.

I am by no means slow at what I do, I can drop a tC motor in a couple of hours, do a wrx clutch in 4.... but wiring gauges PROPERLY takes time. If it is going to take me 4 hours to do somthing, then that is what we quote. Im a nice guy, but Ptuning is not gonna charge 2 hours to do a 4 hour install.

The work that's leaves Ptuning is top notch, you get what you paid for. Im sure somebody can install those gauges faster but not in a mannor that is up to par with what leaves Ptuning.

Why I spend the time to do things right:

run the sensor harness' through oem harness grommet (not fender or steering column boot), . Have you ever seen the sensor plugs for aem gauges? not easy to pass. Most people pass the plug beside the harness grommet, not through it. Most of the time I have to cut the provided harness' for the sensors to pass the wires through without the plug, then shorten if necissary and solder plug section back. At Ptuning, we do not simply wind up extra wire lengh and zip tie it, we cut to proper length and solder it. "How would the factory route these wires?" That is the mindset you need to have a clean gauge install. I know the tC inside and out better than most and know the best way to route gauge wires and how and what to wire sources to. Some of you have met me personally, and know I am competitive when it comes to racing... that carries over in my work. I am willing to bet nobody on the east coast is capable of doing a cleaner gauge install, and that is my mindset.

Ptuning is a quality shop, if you want the best install hands down that is the place to go. If you want a bargin, Im sure there are peeps that will do gauge installs for a 6 pack.

Carbon not to bust your ***** but I saw your gauge install and I can definately see that you only spent an hour on them lol.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
Just to chime in here, I have been doing most of the gauge installs @ Ptuning for 2 years. I am the one who quoted that time. The 3 gauges provided were used, and the wiring harness' for them were cut and mangled. They were in ok condition but were removed not in a clean mannor, new gauges would take less time to install.

I am by no means slow at what I do, I can drop a tC motor in a couple of hours, do a wrx clutch in 4.... but wiring gauges PROPERLY takes time. If it is going to take me 4 hours to do somthing, then that is what we quote. Im a nice guy, but Ptuning is not gonna charge 2 hours to do a 4 hour install.

The work that's leaves Ptuning is top notch, you get what you paid for. Im sure somebody can install those gauges faster but not in a mannor that is up to par with what leaves Ptuning.

Why I spend the time to do things right:

run the sensor harness' through oem harness grommet (not fender or steering column boot), . Have you ever seen the sensor plugs for aem gauges? not easy to pass. Most people pass the plug beside the harness grommet, not through it. Most of the time I have to cut the provided harness' for the sensors to pass the wires through without the plug, then shorten if necissary and solder plug section back. At Ptuning, we do not simply wind up extra wire lengh and zip tie it, we cut to proper length and solder it. "How would the factory route these wires?" That is the mindset you need to have a clean gauge install. I know the tC inside and out better than most and know the best way to route gauge wires and how and what to wire sources to. Some of you have met me personally, and know I am competitive when it comes to racing... that carries over in my work. I am willing to bet nobody on the east coast is capable of doing a cleaner gauge install, and that is my mindset.

Ptuning is a quality shop, if you want the best install hands down that is the place to go. If you want a bargin, Im sure there are peeps that will do gauge installs for a 6 pack.

Carbon not to bust your ***** but I saw your gauge install and I can definately see that you only spent an hour on them lol.
thats understandable, but 5 hours still seems like a very high quote for me, I mean I understand doing it right, and quoting high is a good thing so you dont under time yourself, but yeah.

Just a note I twas going to run my AEM UEGO through the grommet but like you said its not easy at all. so I ended up running my alongside my clutch cables from the shifter, and its very clean and was very easy, granted if it is an anutomatic that would be more complex
Old 01-17-2010, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol save those 400 bucks to tune your car at ptuning and find someone you know or has done it before on a TC to do it cheaper.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:11 AM
SL Member

yea i cleared everything up today thanks guys
Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i got my lowering springs in the mail.. i was quoted at 704 motors.. i said how much will you do lowering springs for.. he said 600.. i said uhh i have the springs i want them installed.. he said oh 500 and it will take 8 hours.. so im guessing they were gonna cut my springs.. because only 100 dollar difference from not having any springs and they were gonna do it all.. to i have the springs they just install them.. that ____ seems shady.. and anyways 8 ____ing hours?? me and sciond ended up installing them at my house in 3 hours.. and ive never done it before.. so he was the one with the knowledge. so 2 guys in a driveway.. 3 hours with basic hand tools.. or a shop full of people with tons of air powered tools and lifts and ____.. 8 hours?? wow

shops always overprice the crap out of stuff.. man i would install springs in my driveway for a case of beer. lmao

but after reading what blown_xa was saying, its understandable for the time he quoted, i mean.. if you leave out of there and your car looks like its straight from the factory.. and someone who knows nothing as to what a tc looks like on the inside has no idea that your guages are custom and dont actually come stock.. then it is totally worth every penny.

Last edited by ShawnBenton; 01-18-2010 at 12:36 AM.