Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...
View Poll Results: witch one is safer ?
Boost
79.31%
spray
20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Boost vs Nitrous: Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still going to give n2o a try, boost is great like I said before, but here in AZ, I think if you have a turbo its more "fast and furious" than anything.....cause of the dam kids that just want instant fast and take no time to learn and respect it. Thats also why i see a lot of crappy on the "edge of blowing up" cars down here. And also I thought that the age of people taking off there hoods was over....I was wrong....sorry for the rant, just tired of disrespectful people down here not caring and making us die hards look bad!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^Couldn't be any worse than seeing a turbo Del Sol run a 10.50 in the 1/8th mile last night.....lol.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
the front mount spray bars dont actually add power at all. ive seen 2 cars dynod with them 1 specifically was a test and they added 0 whp. they are great for cooling off your fmic between pulls. other then thalt kinda useless.
Just a FYI, intercoolers are meant to cool the air by being a heatsink. Not by being super cold and chilling the air. It sounds like the same thing, but it isn't. When the hot compressed air comes from the turbo, the intercooler takes the heat from the air so that a cooler charge goes to the engine. When the intercooler gets to a certain temperature, it is harder to pull that heat.

If you remember from physics, delta T, or difference in temperature. An intercooler is more efficient when there is a larger delta T when regarding the air temperature versus the intercooler temperature. When the intercooler is colder, it is able to absorb more heat. It absorbs the heat fairly quickly, but cools slower afterwards by letting air flow over the fins of the IC.

When you use a spray bar or internal chilling like my S-Max intercooler, you aren't cooling the air more, but you are allowing the intercooler to absorb more heat increasing the delta T.

Confused yet?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vanacutt
I think if you have a turbo its more "fast and furious" than anything.....cause of the dam kids that just want instant fast and take no time to learn and respect it.
I would think nitrous is more F&F than a turbo. Especially with the argument of them just wanting instant fast.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Intercooler spray bars DO work. If you are using a Nitrous setup to spray on the intercooler. Same thing happens when you see people at the track and their crew runs up to the car and blast it with a bottle of N20 right before they make a pass. It gains power for sure doing that. I've seen it gain on a dyno as well.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Yea, I am excited to get some dyno time once I get the CO2 hooked up on my S-Max intercooler. Should be interesting to see how much it helps with the larger temperature difference so it can pull more heat from the compressed air.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think nitrous is more F&F than a turbo. Especially with the argument of them just wanting instant fast
The only reason I say that it is more f and f is that when you talk to these guys they dont have any clue on what they are doing to their cars. Instantly going to assumption that n2o will blow up there cars. We had a lancer gts, the newer model, come and hang and out I thought the kid was cool, until he was having a turbo being built for the engine and did nothing to re-enforce the engine, and he wanted to be pushing over 350hp. Well he did it and in less than 10 minutes blew his motor.

Now it just goes back to if you learn about what you want to do to your car first, then you can have fun, and safely.

But in the end the new fast and furious was good....especially in the seats that move with the movie!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Vanacutt
I would think nitrous is more F&F than a turbo. Especially with the argument of them just wanting instant fast
The only reason I say that it is more f and f is that when you talk to these guys they dont have any clue on what they are doing to their cars. Instantly going to assumption that n2o will blow up there cars. We had a lancer gts, the newer model, come and hang and out I thought the kid was cool, until he was having a turbo being built for the engine and did nothing to re-enforce the engine, and he wanted to be pushing over 350hp. Well he did it and in less than 10 minutes blew his motor.

Now it just goes back to if you learn about what you want to do to your car first, then you can have fun, and safely.

But in the end the new fast and furious was good....especially in the seats that move with the movie!

We don't need to re-enforce the engine to get 350whp and be reliable with. Not all motors, tuners, cars are created equal.