Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boosted for over a 1 1/2....first engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Boosted for over a 1 1/2....first engine problem

Head Gasket gave at 0.8 BAR Hold, spikes to 0.92 BAR..... Well, guess can't be to mad at the stock motor for lasting through 2 transmissions, 3 clutches, 120mph + highway runs and 109mph passes down the drag strip every weekend since being boosted...
Old 06-17-2007, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

usually head gaskets don't let loose from boost alone. pre-ignition and detanation play a huge role.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It was bound to go sometime or another, lol.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by malloynx
usually head gaskets don't let loose from boost alone. pre-ignition and detanation play a huge role.

I wasn't saying that boost specifically. Just saying at what Boost I was at.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050

Don't worry Mike, I'll have it done before FL, and still handing you your butt....
Old 06-17-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok, going to Breakfast for Father's Day with the fam, and my mini me. Be back to chat in a bit.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by Whocares05050

Don't worry Mike, I'll have it done before FL, and still handing you your butt....

I knew i invested in ARP head studs for a reason
Old 06-17-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do you determine you have a BHG? just curious on your diagnosis. white smoke? overflow boiling over? overheating?

i would do a CLT and a compression test just to be safe
Old 06-17-2007, 02:47 PM
SL Member

we need alot more info. it might not be BHG. it might be the ring landings.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brett
exactly my point. head gaskets just don't blow from boost. the 2az-fe has tons of surface area between the fire rings and the overall design is very good. you could have stretched the headbolts, cracked a ringland, etc.... i would def. do a CLT before you even took a wrench to your car. that test will tell the real story and if you do have a BHG it will confirm it.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

exactly my point. head gaskets just don't blow from boost. the 2az-fe has tons of surface area between the fire rings and the overall design is very good. you could have stretched the headbolts, cracked a ringland, etc.... i would def. do a CLT before you even took a wrench to your car. that test will tell the real story and if you do have a BHG it will confirm it.

I will be doing a compression test. That's rule #1. Already on the list of things to do. We will be checking everything of course. I'm not one that just says..."Oh its the head gasket, and that's it". I will check everything out. But the diagnosis is all there. Smoke from the breather tube next to the BOV, smoke out of the oil dip stick, coolant mix with the oil, smoke out the exhaust....etc.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohh ok, good deal. me personally i would skip the compression test and go straight for the CLT. compression test don't really tell you jack. you can't pinpoint the problem and they can lead you on a ghost trail.

i don't know if you have shop air, but with a cylinder leak down test you check each cylinder one at a time. if you get bubbles in the coolant mostly likely a BHG, leaking around the water jackets, air coming out another cylinder and your leaking between the fire rings, air coming out the intake points to a burnt intake valve, air coming out the exhaust system and mostly likely a burnt exhaust valve, and more than 20% l of internal leakage will point to the rings, pistons, block etc...

just trying to help. most people don't own a CLT tester but they can be a life saver
Old 06-17-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That sucks! Say hello to my car for me when and if you end up at ZPI. Tell her I love her and miss her and that the Accord don't mean a thing to me.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

ohh ok, good deal. me personally i would skip the compression test and go straight for the CLT. compression test don't really tell you jack. you can't pinpoint the problem and they can lead you on a ghost trail.

i don't know if you have shop air, but with a cylinder leak down test you check each cylinder one at a time. if you get bubbles in the coolant mostly likely a BHG, leaking around the water jackets, air coming out another cylinder and your leaking between the fire rings, air coming out the intake points to a burnt intake valve, air coming out the exhaust system and mostly likely a burnt exhaust valve, and more than 20% l of internal leakage will point to the rings, pistons, block etc...

just trying to help. most people don't own a CLT tester but they can be a life saver

Yeah, more than likely we will do that too. Whatever it takes to get the job done. This might be an excuse to build the bottom end... Kenny (ZPI), is a friend of mine, so that's where it will be. The funny thing is, the car still pulls like a raped APE! if I were to get on it... And still holds the power as if nothing is wrong. The risk of driving it, is the whole coolant not getting to where it needs to be, therefore causing overheating after a while of driving. Going to get her up on a trailer, and my boys to roll me up to the shop.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
That sucks! Say hello to my car for me when and if you end up at ZPI. Tell her I love her and miss her and that the Accord don't mean a thing to me.

LOL....will do. I have to tell the 350z that too, when I take the Buick to work everyday.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:52 PM
SL Member

The risk of driving it, is the whole coolant not getting to where it needs to be, therefore causing overheating after a while of driving.
i would think that the greatest risk of driving a car with a blown head gasket would be coolant leaking into a cylinder causing the engine to hydrolock. overheating would be a distant 2nd.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

The risk of driving it, is the whole coolant not getting to where it needs to be, therefore causing overheating after a while of driving.
i would think that the greatest risk of driving a car with a blown head gasket would be coolant leaking into a cylinder causing the engine to hydrolock. overheating would be a distant 2nd.

Well, if you want to get all technical about it....

It's not like I will drive it under these conditions you know...
Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Banned
SL Member

Karma is a...
Originally Posted by Dyltone
I think I'll......just UM...Keep my opinion out of this one....
Good idea

Add me to the list with a blown motor. 1500 miles with a ZPI stage 1. Bad tune, bad advise from Kenny and a garbage kit caused collapsed rings and cracked ring landings (all 4) on the pistons.

80% loss of compression and scored cylinders were my reward for trust in a new company.

But I'm sure you'll be fine...

I see you still don't take the blame for any of your mishaps...but oh well..

All I have to add is, I reckon the comparison for you would be 2 years ago (brand new to the tC F/I world) span vs these motors that are blowin up today. R&D is over with, testing is over with....Why are these other kits still blowing up?...

Not saying because everyone was new to F/I on the tC, you were used as a test subject. Just saying if the most recent ZPI blown up motor is you at 2 years ago....why are these motors with kits from other companies blowing up in this day and age?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
Karma is a...
Karma....HAHAAAA!!! Riiiiiigggghhhhtttt! I've driven on boost longer than your car has been broke.

Difference between me and you, I take responsibility for my actions.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Banned
SL Member

I heard kenny is offering a new service... maybe it's only available to select customers.

I think you're in luck... again!

Quick Reply: Boosted for over a 1 1/2....first engine problem