Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Boosted for over a 1 1/2....first engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
no but your silence would definitely surprise us!!!!!!!!!!
Polyp
Old 06-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by ISmokeGuys
Thought I would chime in here since my car is being talked about...lol I'm really disappointed that my car is down! It sucks that both of our cars our out of commission and we're riding around in our "baby mobile." Everytime we try to dig ourselves out of a mess with our cars, something just gets dumped right back on us. I told Travis the other day, we had to pick the most expensive hobby out there...lol Having a new baby doesn't make anything any easier. I know Travis' car will be fixed first since it's been down so long, but it SUCKS!!! lol That means I have to go without my car and you know that he sure as hell isn't going to let me drive the Z when it's fixed! lol Glad I got to add in some info, not that it made any difference.

Also, I love how Dyltone has come out of the woodworks again to start more $hit!!!! What's new right?
Don't get ____y with me because YOUR boyfriend broke YOUR car. I speak from experience here, your motor is blown, and you need to rebuild it. You do not have a blown head gasket as travis is telling you, the tC has a metal gasket stock and holds way longer than the cast pistons do. You have collapsed rings or cracked ring landings. I'm glad you got to enjoy your car for a year and half before it broke; I got less than 6 weeks out of mine.

Take my advice here, go buy a junk yard motor and put the car back to stock, sell the turbo set up and enjoy your car. You can not support a turbo tC (done properly) and a new born child. Get your priorities straight, you don't need a turbo'd car to pick up diapers or formula from the grocery store.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:17 PM
SL Member

Thought I would chime in here since my car is being talked about...lol I'm really disappointed that my car is down! It sucks that both of our cars our out of commission and we're riding around in our "baby mobile." Everytime we try to dig ourselves out of a mess with our cars, something just gets dumped right back on us. I told Travis the other day, we had to pick the most expensive hobby out there...lol Having a new baby doesn't make anything any easier. I know Travis' car will be fixed first since it's been down so long, but it SUCKS!!! lol That means I have to go without my car and you know that he sure as hell isn't going to let me drive the Z when it's fixed! lol Glad I got to add in some info, not that it made any difference.

Also, I love how Dyltone has come out of the woodworks again to start more $hit!!!! What's new right?

that aint right. dont let him drive the tc then. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone

Don't get ____y with me because YOUR boyfriend broke YOUR car. I speak from experience here, your motor is blown, and you need to rebuild it. You do not have a blown head gasket as travis is telling you, the tC has a metal gasket stock and holds way longer than the cast pistons do. You have collapsed rings or cracked ring landings. I'm glad you got to enjoy your car for a year and half before it broke; I got less than 6 weeks out of mine.

Take my advice here, go buy a junk yard motor and put the car back to stock, sell the turbo set up and enjoy your car. You can not support a turbo tC (done properly) and a new born child. Get your priorities straight, you don't need a turbo'd car to pick up diapers or formula from the grocery store.

First off, I'm not here to argue with your immature ways. You don't bother me like you do others, but I do have a few responses to what you have written to. Number one, I'm glad to know that you know our financial situation and how much money we make and don't make!! Number two, I'm glad that you have seen our car in person and know that we have a blown motor! Number three, we don't use my car to run for formula and diapers, that is why we have the BUICK that I mentioned! Number four, I have my priorities straight, our son comes before ANYTHING including the cars, but of course you would know about all that right? Just like you know about everything else that happens in our lives!!!! Your our #1 fan and I'm very pleased and honored to know that we have someone out there who envies us.

Originally Posted by Brett
that aint right. dont let him drive the tc then. whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

This was a joke, he would let me drive it if I asked. We are basically a married couple and our cars are just that "our" cars.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Do you see a Psychiatrist on occasions? I probably could look up a few for you if you like. I heard they do good with people who have a bit of a difficult time finding "themselves". I truly believe that some much needed time has been lost between you and a good shrink.

If that's not the case, then maybe you are just one of those crazed fans. You could be the head of my fan club if you want? If that would help to ease your pains in anyway, just let me know. I will see what we can do to get the "I love RhythmnSmoke" foundation started with Dyltone (Aj) as the Director. It would be a non-profit organization, what do you think? I think it's a pretty kick butt idea!
Old 06-25-2007, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can not support a turbo tC (done properly) and a new born child. Get your priorities straight, you don't need a turbo'd car to pick up diapers or formula from the grocery store.
Dude, that aint right.
I have 3 kids under 4 years old.
You just don't go there.

Anyway, rhythm, I remember you saying something about not needing the Dezod black box cause you can tune off boost with the pressure sensor, so I'm assuming your using one of the greddy boxes.
I'm curiouse as to what your AFRs were at idle, at WOT, and in between.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after reading this thread, i cant help but feel a little scared about boosting my car in a few weeks.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with every modification comes some risk, its up to you if you are willing.

thats why they say, dont boost on a budget, because this is life, **** happens.

g'luck on the rebuild travis.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 PM

well I say it depend on the type of setup you have.....i mean it is possible to run 300hp on a tC but it will hurt later.....I say if you have a turbo and your keeping it in the lower PSIs so its enjoyable but not a beast it should be fine......u just have to manage your car correctly and what ever you can do to make it safer..do it..................thats why I like the stage 0 kit....it doesnt put a ton of stress on your car....

as far as rhythmn's car goes good luck man and I hope u get it fixed up nice lol u have been my inspiration to boosting my car anyways....I admire a tC with b@lls like that lol
Old 06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by olaHalo
after reading this thread, i cant help but feel a little scared about boosting my car in a few weeks.
dont be scared. keep in mind how travis drives his car, like a bat out of hell. do you think you will do as many races and dog on it as much as he does?? probably not. ive been boosted over a year and a half myself. i really only get on the car once every 2 weeks and my getting on it is stomping the gas, not even racing. its a good feeling. you will enjoy it. but know that anytime you put an aftermarket turbo on a car that is not designed for it there are gonna be small issues. i had a few bugs to work with but nothing major. i also dont dog on my car. just 2 weeks ago was the first time my clutch slipped.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
You can not support a turbo tC (done properly) and a new born child. Get your priorities straight, you don't need a turbo'd car to pick up diapers or formula from the grocery store.
Dude, that aint right.
I have 3 kids under 4 years old.
You just don't go there.

Anyway, rhythm, I remember you saying something about not needing the Dezod black box cause you can tune off boost with the pressure sensor, so I'm assuming your using one of the greddy boxes.
I'm curiouse as to what your AFRs were at idle, at WOT, and in between.

I've always had a rich running car. Hence the "ZPI Fireshooter" in the Sig...lol. It's sorta my laziness really, as the car was still on the tune from last winter. And now it's 100 degree Summer weather. It was running FLAT 10 at WOT. Idles just like everyone else 14.2-15.8 A/F. Right now it's around 10.6 A/F ratio at WOT, and normal idle A/F ratios.

LOL...you have 3 kids. I have 1 kid and 3 cars. Boy is going to know how to drift/drag and do burnouts before he ever gets his Drivers license... Can you see the face of the Driving instructor now...
Old 06-25-2007, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC9o9
with every modification comes some risk, its up to you if you are willing.

thats why they say, dont boost on a budget, because this is life, **** happens.

g'luck on the rebuild travis.

+1

And thanks for the props. There is no need to be nervous about boosting. What you do is read/research and see what MAY happen if X is performed. Every tC is different. Some tC's didn't even make it to the Dyno for their first pass after getting their respectable kits installed before they blew up. I've been running this car for nearly 2 years with constant abuse as noted in my first post about the numerous clutches and it being on it's second tranny. I build cars to be driven. I am the type that likes to have a Race car, that happens to be streetable. Not a street car that I take to the race track on weekends. We drive them, and we drive them hard in this family. Even the Wifee is known around here for racing. She puts it down when she feels the urge. Hell, I baby the Buick, and her butt is taking 40mph corners at 70mph...

Just imagine what she does in the Z when she sees a corner.... Can't blame her though, I love taking that car in the corners.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so has the actual issue been finalized yet? whats the problem?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
dont be scared. keep in mind how travis drives his car, like a bat out of hell. do you think you will do as many races and dog on it as much as he does?? probably not. ive been boosted over a year and a half myself. i really only get on the car once every 2 weeks and my getting on it is stomping the gas, not even racing. its a good feeling. you will enjoy it. but know that anytime you put an aftermarket turbo on a car that is not designed for it there are gonna be small issues. i had a few bugs to work with but nothing major. i also dont dog on my car. just 2 weeks ago was the first time my clutch slipped.

Wait a minute now, we baby this car too. WOT till anything less than 120mph is babying it... J/k. We do race quite often though. At the drag strip every chance I can muster. Have not been able to go a lot recently due to my mini me. But when he is old enough to tolerate the noise (or when my woman says he can), we will take him to the Drag strip with us, so I can have more track time.

But I wouldn't say that I was feather footing it either. The 20+ racing vids aren't even counting the ones that were not recorded...lol.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
No, not yet. I will be calling around today to see who I want to take it to for the leak down test.

We spent the weekend relaxing with part of the Crew. Nashville hosted the FlugTag for the first time, so we all rolled down to see the whacky crafts...lol. Then yesterday I got bored, so I installed the Tein S-techs I had sitting up in the house for the Z.

I still have to install

Motordyne Iso Thermal Spacer
X drilled/slotted rotors
Motul Racing Brake fluid

And of course get the Clutch/Flywheel done on it. I'm going with the Competition Clutch and flywheel for the Z. Suppose to be rated at 550tq. Should be good for me after I get it TT'ed, but eventually will have to change that too, as I plan on having at minimum 600+whp/wtq out of the Z.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by jrodTc
Should be good for me after I get it TT'ed, but eventually will have to change that too, as I plan on having at minimum 600+whp/wtq out of the Z.

SWEET! Get some vids of the Z when you get all that done.

Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^You don't have to tell me twice...lol.

Wedding, TT'ed Z, among other things are on my plate, so of course the TT'ed Z will be some time down the road, but it WILL happen...lol.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good to hear travis! sounds like a fun project.. i think im taking up a project of my own soon
Old 06-25-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude, don't worry about it. Your kit is coming in at 5psi! And I doubt you'll race it as much as rhythm.
If you plan to rag it all the time, drop another 2k and get the rods/pistons/bearings done and you can up the boost and still be good. I think the only thing really holding our engines back from high HP boost is the rods.

Oh yeah, rhythm,
when my wife started poppin them out, we had to grade the eclipse for a galant, and then up to a minvan But the wife hated that, so I recently got her a chrysler pacifica. She LOVES that thing, but she says I drive it like it's my tC. so I dont' get to drive it much!!!
And I got a pic on my cardomain site of my son helping me install my rear sway before he was walking!!! (not really under the car, but funny nontheless)
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Dude, don't worry about it. Your kit is coming in at 5psi! And I doubt you'll race it as much as rhythm.
If you plan to rag it all the time, drop another 2k and get the rods/pistons/bearings done and you can up the boost and still be good. I think the only thing really holding our engines back from high HP boost is the rods.
I think pretty sure its the Pistons that are the weakest of the engine. Rods aren't too bad, but might as well upgrade those if ur doing the pistons.

Quick Reply: Boosted for over a 1 1/2....first engine problem