Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

BOOSTED BY TURBONETICS updated 5/16 new pics on pg. 7

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BOOSTED BY TURBONETICS updated 5/16 new pics on pg. 7

Just got off the phone with Jesse at turbo-kits.com and guess what, I ordered the Turbonetics kit. So excited now waiting for it to come. I also get a free lightweight crank pulley with the purchase and free shipping. I was set on the GReddy kit when it came out because of the price and looks, I mean have you seen the kit, all the polish and their manifold . BUT, reading up on the rsx forums trying to get more info on GReddy kits and learned that their oil lines were garbage causing rsxs to burn down and it wasnt only one case, but many. I could buy upgraded oil lines and get it to work but hearing how the emanage-ultimate was giving those guys problems, I didnt want to be the test mule for their kit so I went with the route that many have taken so far and went TURBONETICS. Back to topic sorry for the rambling SL, I also ordered the triple gauge pod now just searching for a BOOST, OIL, and EGT or A/F Gauge to put into the pod. Which three should be my starting gauges. I know BOOST and OIL for sure, but cant decide on the last. Any place with good deals on gauges? What brand do you guys recommend? Anything else required to run the gauges? So much going on but yeah, as soon as the kit gets here I'll get pics and post pics of the install and how it went. Aiming for the beginng to mid next week for full review.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to boost.

I personally prefer Boost, A/F, EGT, THEN the oil gauges. All a matter of taste though, but i think that's the most important. If you're doing A/F, either buy an Innovate wideband, AEM wideband, or an Autometer with the wideband conversion kit.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed boost and wideband first then oil pressure. For wideband the AEMs have been given the Z world tons of trouble with sensors dying. Innovative makes a GREAT gauge. Personally I'm switching to the Wideband Commander by Dynojet. I prefer analog readouts as its sometimes easier to read transitions of AFR on the fly when changing throttle positions. Of course logging will tell you this with the others but sometimes I dont feel like setting up the laptop everytime I make a change to the car. www.widebandcommander.com
Old 04-05-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been running the AEM with 0 issues. I'm assuming it depends on placement of the wideband sensor. Maybe they don't hold up as well with higher temperatures? My wide-band is at the very beginning of my s-pipe, right near where it bolts up to the downpipe. So temps are a littler lower down there, and it still gives me an accurate readout.

As for the innovate, it's a great unit. I sell those. http://www.dezod.com/cat_innovative.cfm

I liked the AEM option because the new ones come with two different faces and two different trim rings. They also had a large price cut this year.

$290 http://www.dezod.com/pd_aem_singlechannel_uego.cfm
Old 04-05-2006, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
I've been running the AEM with 0 issues. I'm assuming it depends on placement of the wideband sensor. Maybe they don't hold up as well with higher temperatures? My wide-band is at the very beginning of my s-pipe, right near where it bolts up to the downpipe. So temps are a littler lower down there, and it still gives me an accurate readout.

As for the innovate, it's a great unit. I sell those. http://www.dezod.com/cat_innovative.cfm

I liked the AEM option because the new ones come with two different faces and two different trim rings. They also had a large price cut this year.

$290 http://www.dezod.com/pd_aem_singlechannel_uego.cfm
Well due to having a V6 most Z guys are running dual widebands or if just one then running them close to the header on one bank only. Typical EGTs we are seeing under boost is in the 1300-1500 range right at the manifold outlet. So far the Innovative ones seem to be holding up a LOT better then the AEMs did. I lost count of how many sensors have died a good death on 350Zs... The logging software from Innovative is better IMHO as well...
Old 04-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Agreed boost and wideband first then oil pressure. For wideband the AEMs have been given the Z world tons of trouble with sensors dying. Innovative makes a GREAT gauge. Personally I'm switching to the Wideband Commander by Dynojet. I prefer analog readouts as its sometimes easier to read transitions of AFR on the fly when changing throttle positions. Of course logging will tell you this with the others but sometimes I dont feel like setting up the laptop everytime I make a change to the car. www.widebandcommander.com
The Z computers are VERY weird and have a caused a lot of grief from merely adding a cat-back, high flow cats or something of likes. They GET PIG RICH and start throwing tons of fuel into the system which overtime eats those sensors right up. This has been an uphill battle on this car for a while.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
The Z computers are VERY weird and have a caused a lot of grief from merely adding a cat-back, high flow cats or something of likes. They GET PIG RICH and start throwing tons of fuel into the system which overtime eats those sensors right up. This has been an uphill battle on this car for a while.
You don't have to tell me about it :D Although all the turbo kits have control over timing and fuel under boost anyways so its not like the ECU is causing it. Thats just the EGTs we are getting. Tuning to 11:1 or even 12:1 has netted EGTs withing 100-200 degrees of each other...I personally run about 1250 under full boost at the track...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive been looking at the autometer cobalt series gauges and man are they expensive. I love the look of them and these are the ones I want to get:

Vac/Boost Gauge

A/F Gauge

Where do I get the wideband conversion kit and what does it do?

EGT Gauge:

Anything else required for this gauge to run it?

These gauges come with all the necessary hardware to install correct? I'm pretty sure these three gauges will be enough to run the turbo setup and keep it monitored or do I need more like the oil pressure or temp? I dont want gauges everywhere now. More advice please...
Old 04-07-2006, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

better pick up a midpipe while you are at it also .... unless you want to lose hp ... thats the only way you can keep the trd exhaust and not scrap it.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the Autometer Wideband in the Cobalt series. $396.99 but at least it will match. Or you could just get the AEM UEGO for $250.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0625&langId=-1

Old 04-08-2006, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
better pick up a midpipe while you are at it also .... unless you want to lose hp ... thats the only way you can keep the trd exhaust and not scrap it.
i'll probably pick up a 3" exhaust from dezod or somebody else when i get extra cash. I got good enough HP for now.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much u end up payin for ur kit?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by DTRUONG_112
i'll probably pick up a 3" exhaust from dezod or somebody else when i get extra cash. I got good enough HP for now.
oh yea - im not doubting it but i know you could have a few more. Im not sure if 3inch is too wide for that setup. look into what people are saying with your setup and a 2.5inch setup. Maybe 3 is good for this turbo - im not sure - i havent looked into it.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome choice!! IMO, most complete and easiest install out there!
Old 04-08-2006, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i know ebay has some of the best prices on gauges
Old 04-08-2006, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yea - im not doubting it but i know you could have a few more. Im not sure if 3inch is too wide for that setup. look into what people are saying with your setup and a 2.5inch setup. Maybe 3 is good for this turbo - im not sure - i havent looked into it.
yeah dont know how a 3" compared to a 2.5" will do yet with this kit. Maybe MIAPLAYA or DEZOD can chime in for some assistance. From what I've know 3" is always the choice for turbod applications. But more input can be helpful.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mizle
how much u end up payin for ur kit?
$4755 SHIPPED with free lightweight crank pulley. Yeah, checked the packaging detail and the parcel was 107 lbs. Thank god it had free shipping.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

sweet!!!! now the BIG MONEY INSTALL!!!.. Good luck,..
Old 04-09-2006, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah dont know how a 3" compared to a 2.5" will do yet with this kit. Maybe MIAPLAYA or DEZOD can chime in for some assistance. From what I've know 3" is always the choice for turbod applications. But more input can be helpful.
I think they've all answered this before, 3" is just more heavy and not necessary. The 2.5" setup is more than capapble of handling power I think up to 500 or something stupid
Old 04-09-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCION_X
sweet!!!! now the BIG MONEY INSTALL!!!.. Good luck,..
installing myself so saving money there already.

Quick Reply: BOOSTED BY TURBONETICS updated 5/16 new pics on pg. 7